• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Photobucket disruption - is anyone else having the same problem?
1 1

21 posts in this topic

So I use photobucket solely to host images in my CGC registry set descriptions (not for the picture uploads with my comics in the sets but for the pictures embedded in the look of my registry set description).  It's been down for the past few days...and on the website page it states 'most of the users have had their accounts fixed.'  I was curious if anyone else is dealing with this or if it's just me because dealing with PB customer support is way more than lackluster...and my account is still completely down as all the pictures in it are not gone but 'blank.'

Thoughts?

Here is the link to my registry set so you can see the issue I'm discussing...note the missing pictures.

Edited by Sensei Ryan

@Sensei Ryan Photobucket has had problems all week.  They had resumed service to almost normal on Friday or Saturday, then went off the deep end again.

Basically, IIRC, they had an electrical outage that also fried their back-up systems, so they were working to rebuild the main system with a better back-up. 

They indicated that all photos are preserved on the system, so they just need to get the website functional so that we have access again.

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

@Sensei Ryan Photobucket has had problems all week.  They had resumed service to almost normal on Friday or Saturday, then went off the deep end again.

Basically, IIRC, they had an electrical outage that also fried their back-up systems, so they were working to rebuild the main system with a better back-up. 

They indicated that all photos are preserved on the system, so they just need to get the website functional so that we have access again.

Thank you for the update, Lizards2 - I had trouble with them over the summer when I paid but was still receiving watermarks on my embedded pics on my registry set so I was worried I was going to have to go through that nightmare of customer service again.  I appreciate the info and hope they get up and rolling again soon!

Photobucket's entire business model now revolves around keeping customers that don't want to go through the hassle of having to switch all their hosted pictures to another website.  They make people pay exorbitantly for that convenience.  There are plenty of nicer, completely free alternatives out there. 

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/403432-stop-using-photobucket-try-these-instead/#comments

I still have a "free" account with them, but since I have like 4000 images stored on it I basically have no access to anything.  I have been in contact with them to find out if there was a paid account where I could do some kind of mass download to rescue my books but was told NO 

On 12/24/2019 at 7:55 AM, jmg3637 said:

I still have a "free" account with them, but since I have like 4000 images stored on it I basically have no access to anything.  I have been in contact with them to find out if there was a paid account where I could do some kind of mass download to rescue my books but was told NO 

I have a paid account that is something like $20-30 per year.  I was able to download all my stored photos/scans individually.  Not the best solution, but most of what I had in there wasn't real important to begin with.

4 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I have a paid account that is something like $20-30 per year.  I was able to download all my stored photos/scans individually.  Not the best solution, but most of what I had in there wasn't real important to begin with.

Hey Lizards2,

so do you know if they plan to fix what we had and restore it to normal or will we have to reupload what pics we already had stored? My embedded posts in my registry set are still ‘down’ so if I need to start over I will. When I look at my PB library all the pics seem unavailable still...and just don’t know if I should keep waiting and hoping they’ll fix it or start over.

16 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

Hey Lizards2,

so do you know if they plan to fix what we had and restore it to normal or will we have to reupload what pics we already had stored? My embedded posts in my registry set are still ‘down’ so if I need to start over I will. When I look at my PB library all the pics seem unavailable still...and just don’t know if I should keep waiting and hoping they’ll fix it or start over.

They're public statement said all accounts are preserved - all your photos/scans are there, they just need to fix the system so it works again.

That being said, service has been disrupted for quite some time.  Service first went out for me on December 18, which stalled my war sale thread in the GA/SA/BA sales forum.  Service sort of worked with work-arounds I was doing until about December 21, then it took a dive again.  I can get to the site today, either.

11 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

They're public statement said all accounts are preserved - all your photos/scans are there, they just need to fix the system so it works again.

That being said, service has been disrupted for quite some time.  Service first went out for me on December 18, which stalled my war sale thread in the GA/SA/BA sales forum.  Service sort of worked with work-arounds I was doing until about December 21, then it took a dive again.  I can get to the site today, either.

I appreciate the info - I thought that was the case as my pics are all still the little white boxes.  This is frustrating as I'm sure we won't get any kind of partial refund for our paid accounts - but we should.  I would just like an estimate from them as to when they expect it to be completely up and running again...

Ugh, just logged into my account and what a mess. Any insight if this will be fixed? Looks like I'll be moving away from there for sure. Anyone try Amazon Prime image storage? Looks like unlimited?

16 minutes ago, universal soldier said:

Ugh, just logged into my account and what a mess. Any insight if this will be fixed? Looks like I'll be moving away from there for sure. Anyone try Amazon Prime image storage? Looks like unlimited?

Since your new back....

Unless you use photobucket for a lot of stuff... I'm assuming a lot lol

But I'll just say that you no longer need a 3rd party hosting site to post things on the boards :foryou:

Just fyi... ;)

lol I think i did that by accident yesterday in a different thread. I thought I linked to Flickr but really uploaded from my desktop. Thanks!

Now to figure out how to download all the images from photobucket... 

5 minutes ago, universal soldier said:

lol I think i did that by accident yesterday in a different thread. I thought I linked to Flickr but really uploaded from my desktop. Thanks!

Now to figure out how to download all the images from photobucket... 

Ya that IS the rub getting it all back from photobucket! Some good news that you could retake pics and/or scans and revisit some of your collection though :)

plus photobucket as far as I know wouldn't allow once free accounts unless they paid something a little over a year ago, but I'll hope that you get it all back :wishluck:

Just to update everyone - my PB seems to be back up and running but I've noticed a ton of pop up video ads.  I've not tried to embed any new pics yet but plan to do so in the near future and hopefully it will be as easy as it use to be but time will tell.  When PB works I am happy to use it but this is the 2nd problem I've had in 6-7 months so overall that's not terrible, I guess.  I only use PB literally for embedding pics into my registry set descriptions so if CGC could find a way for us to 'decorate' our sets more easily I wouldn't have had to teach myself basic html or use PB lol 

5 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

Just to update everyone - my PB seems to be back up and running but I've noticed a ton of pop up video ads.  I've not tried to embed any new pics yet but plan to do so in the near future and hopefully it will be as easy as it use to be but time will tell.  When PB works I am happy to use it but this is the 2nd problem I've had in 6-7 months so overall that's not terrible, I guess.  I only use PB literally for embedding pics into my registry set descriptions so if CGC could find a way for us to 'decorate' our sets more easily I wouldn't have had to teach myself basic html or use PB lol 

.What do you mean decorate? You can upload pics to the registry without photobucket as well.... 

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:
7 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

.What do you mean decorate? You can upload pics to the registry without photobucket as well.... 

If you actually mean in the word description? You may be able to copy and paste, but if you just mean uploading pics.... its doable without photobucket :foryou:

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

If you actually mean in the word description? You may be able to copy and paste, but if you just mean uploading pics.... its doable without photobucket :foryou:

I know what you mean and what I say confuses people every time lol   Here is a link to my set so you can see what I mean:

My Set

I include pics in the actual set description and the only way to do this is to us HTML which is difficult to figure out for someone like me who has zero experience in it.  Uploading pics into the slots is easy and that you don't need a third party image hosting site like PB but to put them in the actual description, sadly, you do.  If CGC would let us use it like we could a word doc or something then PB would quickly become a thing of the past for me. Hopefully this makes more sense :)