• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Breathless w Richard Gere...comic book movie?

13 posts in this topic

It definitely had a Silver Surfer scene from the comic books. But from what I am reading, it was a remake of a French film.

Breathless is a 1983 American drama neo-noir film directed by Jim McBride and written by McBride and L. M. Kit Carson, starring Richard Gere and Valérie Kaprisky. It is a remake of the 1960 French film directed by Jean-Luc Godard and written by Jean-Luc Godard and François Truffaut, À bout de souffle (known as Breathless in English) and was released in France under the title A Bout de Souffle Made in USA. The original film is about an American girl and a French criminal in Paris, while in the remake is vice-versa in Los Angeles.

right...I stumbled upon it the other night watching tv...and I was like "hey this has some quality SS references" including an argument Gere's character has with a young kid by a newsstand. I could not tell which issue Gere has in his hands (and then puts in his back pocket rolled up). Possibly a later issue? Again, I am not sure when the movie takes place as I only picked it up about 1/2 way through. 

Edited by g-man

Paul Schrader's 1970's Breathless was a remake of Jean Luc Godard's French New Wave film Breathless. In the original, the main character Michel idolizes Humphrey Bogart, and throughout the film we see images of Bogart and Michel mimicking his mannerisms from old gangster movies. In the Schrader film, Bogart is replaced by the comic book character Silver Surfer, who Jesse idolizes and references. So the modern film simply exchanges one pop culture figure for another, but both having an influence on how each main character viewed their world.