• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is Moon Knight so popular
2 2

30 posts in this topic

Why is Moon Knight so popular? Is it movie or show related? His first appearance seems way higher than his popularity warrants. There are several first appearance issues in the Moon Knight run that aren’t all that rate but fairly popular and pricey. Not sure what I am missing, maybe I’m just missing a great series that I never gave a real chance to.

Despite the recent news, WWB32 was always a really expensive comic that holds very closely in price next to the first ghost rider everywhere but the very top grades, even exceeding it in every grade below 9.0.  It was always a mystery to me as well.  Some say the book had lower production numbers, I'm not sure what those numbers are but at the end of the day I would say ghost rider still has significantly more popularity.  That could just be my opinion though.

Prices courtesy gocollect.com

image.thumb.png.108c6e98f605648b8bd2d1265e11953a.png

Edited by 90sChild

The short answer is he is not. Never has been. They have launched I think somewhere around 8 volumes on this title and never lasts more then 2 years or so. I take that back once volume of it did go 50 issues in the 90s.

Now can Marvel make him in vogue? Sure they can and its very possible, but don't let anyone tell you there is some huge ground swelling of Moon Knight fans anywhere. This is all speculation hype. In all the years of conventions I have never seen one person dressed up as MK. I know all this sounds harsh and I will cheer for the character, but my local shops are full of MK issues except of course for the issues that are speculated on.

WWBN 32 is the prime example. The book in high grade is truly hard to find and the fact that it was a low print horror book also helps it. It has always had demand.

Edited by fastballspecial

15 hours ago, 90sChild said:

Despite the recent news, WWB32 was always a really expensive comic that holds very closely in price next to the first ghost rider everywhere but the very top grades, even exceeding it in every grade below 9.0.  It was always a mystery to me as well.  Some say the book had lower production numbers, I'm not sure what those numbers are but at the end of the day I would say ghost rider still has significantly more popularity.  That could just be my opinion though.

Prices courtesy gocollect.com

image.thumb.png.108c6e98f605648b8bd2d1265e11953a.png

It appears that I should have held on to both of these books a little longer instead of flipping them for a profit...

Edited by piper

18 hours ago, kidcolt said:

Why is Moon Knight so popular? Is it movie or show related? His first appearance seems way higher than his popularity warrants. There are several first appearance issues in the Moon Knight run that aren’t all that rate but fairly popular and pricey. Not sure what I am missing, maybe I’m just missing a great series that I never gave a real chance to.

Well, a TV series has been announced, which will influence interest and maybe prices

I have collected a few MK comics mainly because I like the character and that prices were relatvely low, even for a 9.8 CGC graded copy, compared to other comics from the same era.

I can see a growth in issues like MK no.1, but can't see why this naff cover can sustain its high price. I have bought MK 29 and 30 in high grade and was very satisfied with them. Time will tell if the TV series does anything. I say this because  the Daredevil TV series did little or nothing to increase the value of my 1960's Daredevil comic collection ?

10 hours ago, kimik said:

10 hours ago, piper said:

It appears that I should have held on to both of these books a little longer instead of flipping them for a profit...

You sold the WWBN 32 at the right time.......... (thumbsu

And Karl and Dave had even better timing with selling their CGC 9.4 W :wink:

8 hours ago, Colin Nash said:

Well, a TV series has been announced, which will influence interest and maybe prices

I have collected a few MK comics mainly because I like the character and that prices were relatvely low, even for a 9.8 CGC graded copy, compared to other comics from the same era.

I can see a growth in issues like MK no.1, but can't see why this naff cover can sustain its high price. I have bought MK 29 and 30 in high grade and was very satisfied with them. Time will tell if the TV series does anything. I say this because  the Daredevil TV series did little or nothing to increase the value of my 1960's Daredevil comic collection ?

I really liked the 1st series Moon Knight that ran 38 issues.  Loved the stories and art but the price for WWBN32 is pretty much based on speculation.  Marvel is trying to come out with a "DC Batman" type of character IMO.  I hope the TV series is going to be great but I agree, I doubt it attracts a lot of new Moon Knight fans that will rush out and buy the Moon Knight comics.  I really want the TV series to be really worth watching.  I think it should be done like NetFlex did Daredevil.  A bit gritty. 

Edited by musicmeta

For me, the most interesting aspect is his Dissociative Identity Disorder (multiple personalities), and then the consistently excellent art from Sienkiewicz, evolving  from his earlier Adams-influenced style in Hulk Magazine through to the more distorted and abstract later work. Moench’s stories were consistently good if not really that exceptional.

That said, not a character or reading material that I get too excited about.

I’m unfamiliar with the more recent modern era series, and perhaps they improved on the stories from the Bronze and Copper Ages which I’m referencing here and created new and enthusiastic fans of the character in the process, in parallel with the obvious speculation, nostalgic or otherwise?

Edited by Ken Aldred

11 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

For me, the most interesting aspect is his Dissociative Identity Disorder (multiple personalities), and then the consistently excellent art from Sienkiewicz, evolving  from his earlier Adams-influenced style in Hulk Magazine through to the more distorted and abstract later work. Moench’s stories were consistently good if not really that exceptional.

That said, not a character or reading material that I get too excited about.

I’m unfamiliar with the more recent modern era series, and perhaps they improved on the stories from the Bronze and Copper Ages which I’m referencing here and created new and enthusiastic fans of the character in the process, in parallel with the obvious speculation, nostalgic or otherwise?

Jeff Lemire wrote an interesting run on Moon Knight that I've been meaning to go back and finish. It deals with his mental issues in connection with his perception of reality. Is what he experiencing real or is it just in his head? One of the things that I've felt holds the character back is the connection with Egyptology. That's just not cool or en vogue anymore; it is, in fact, pretty hokey. But I liked Lemire's take mostly because it tackles the 'hokiness' and leaves you guessing whether or not it's just an elaborate fantasy after all. I wonder if that's where they will go with the show? Delve into his madness and/or sanity?

Regardless, I've never understood the price that WWBN 32 garners. Granted, it has received considerable juice from tv/movie hype, but that doesn't explain it all as it's been expensive for quite some time. I've obtained and sold a couple copies of the book, but it still draws me. The cover is just so damn good and the character is just too damn cool-looking. So maybe I understand a bit of it after all?