• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help Storing Original Art
3 3

28 posts in this topic

Hello,

Quick question to my fellow OA collectors. 

I have some art framed and hung on my wall, some of my art I have in a nice portfolio, where you slip the sheets in. 

I have recently gotten some DC art from the late 80's, that is 3/8 or so wider than all of my other pages. I would like to get a portfolio that is wider in order to fit all of my pages.

Does anyone have a product they like that would work? Any specific links would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I added some pics showing what I have. How nicely most pages fit, as well as a close-up, showing how these pages I just got are around 3/8" wider than my other pages.

cleardot.gif

1A5FF6C5-F00A-463B-BE97-B8CA5A72F838.jpeg

FE0FD39B-B2D5-47F1-8159-DF05E4D5F877.jpeg

1F89568F-4F2C-458C-BFD1-8E4B99C99AB8.jpeg

EA9A6D1B-FDE0-41FB-B41C-697798289F43.jpeg

Edited by BCoffee

The world of hurt that is the first piece of OA that one gets that is not standard. I just discovered screw-post binders and I found some great archival page protectors, but there are a lot of pages that just don't fit, particularly from the UK because of the damn metric system.

I started with an 11x17 and 13x19 Itoya, but was uncomfortable with how tight the pieces fit and how easily they slid out. It was also difficult to fit oddly sized pieces. Now I store everything in 12.5x18.5 Mylars and matching archival boards. It’s more expensive and doesn’t have the convenience of a portfolio, but it seems to be way better protection and is still very easy to look at the art. Definitely not the answer for everyone, but it’s been great for me. 

Here’s a link to the Mylars I got:

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/3142/polyester-mylar-sleeve-br12-12-x-18-12-nbspfont-colorred4-milfont-no-flapbr

4 hours ago, Varanis said:

I started with an 11x17 and 13x19 Itoya, but was uncomfortable with how tight the pieces fit and how easily they slid out. It was also difficult to fit oddly sized pieces. Now I store everything in 12.5x18.5 Mylars and matching archival boards. It’s more expensive and doesn’t have the convenience of a portfolio, but it seems to be way better protection and is still very easy to look at the art. Definitely not the answer for everyone, but it’s been great for me. 

Here’s a link to the Mylars I got:

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/3142/polyester-mylar-sleeve-br12-12-x-18-12-nbspfont-colorred4-milfont-no-flapbr

I do something similar, and then put them in the archival boxes.  

16 hours ago, dichotomy said:

The world of hurt that is the first piece of OA that one gets that is not standard. I just discovered screw-post binders and I found some great archival page protectors, but there are a lot of pages that just don't fit, particularly from the UK because of the damn metric system.

what are the archival page protectors you found?

2 hours ago, dichotomy said:

Not great for photos. Ok for line art. The itoyas also use Polypropylene.

Mixed views on the subject. Mylar is archival; polypropylene, like used in Itoyas is not. But if you keep them generally in dark, reasonably cool places, I don’t think it will matter for decades. I have some art which was not stored in Mylar, but kept in regular plastic frames. The images are fine, but on some, the paper shows slight browning after 30 years. Others don’t. Same with old comics.

On 12/24/2019 at 11:34 AM, Rick2you2 said:

For additional protection, you can also put them in top loaders (Mylar) and put the top loaders in a slightly larger Itoya. 

Do you have a link for mylars that would fit original art that is 11x17, and slightly oversized? I like the idea of using the itoya, but having the art inside of mylars first.

The problem I have with Mylar toploaders is larger off sizes, or smaller sizes when I don’t need a lot of them. E Gerber will take orders on the phone for lots of sizes, if you buy a minimum of 10, sometimes 50. Anyone know where I can buy smaller numbers on line?

For really large pieces, I am thinking of buying two mylars of slightly larger than half the relevant size, removing the sealed seam  on one of them, and then fastening the two halves of the one I cut to the uncut one, maybe joining them with an epoxy or tape. Anyone tried something like that before? Did it work?

Like others here, 13 x 19" Itoyas are my standby.  For the more valuable pieces, I'll slide them into mylars w/backing boards and then place them into the Itoyas.  Though, this tends to make the portfolios too thick if you have a lot of such pieces.  

5 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

The problem I have with Mylar toploaders is larger off sizes, or smaller sizes when I don’t need a lot of them. E Gerber will take orders on the phone for lots of sizes, if you buy a minimum of 10, sometimes 50. Anyone know where I can buy smaller numbers on line?

For really large pieces, I am thinking of buying two mylars of slightly larger than half the relevant size, removing the sealed seam  on one of them, and then fastening the two halves of the one I cut to the uncut one, maybe joining them with an epoxy or tape. Anyone tried something like that before? Did it work?

or even creating custom sizes using mylar sheets and a hot sealing tool like a soldering iron? 4 mil might be too thick but might work with 2 mil. And would need to make sure that heating the mylar like that isn't toxic in some way. 

20 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I wouldn't try it. If you really need something that large, your best bet is to buy a roll of Dura-Lar and cut a piece to size-

https://www.dickblick.com/products/grafix-wrap-dura-lar-rolls/

But they make mylar sleeves and L-sleeves up to poster sizes-

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/214/poster-sleeves-backings-polyester-mylar

Also, if you call Bags Unlimited, I bet they could put together a "sample pack" if you just need onesies or twosies of a few oddball sizes. Or hit up one of the supply dealers at the next NYCC/SDCC. Ask them to bring a few pieces of the sizes you need and pickup at the show.

For very large non-paper paintings on board or canvas, you are probably better off cutting a mat spacer out of archival foamcore and storing in a gallery box. I wouldn't use mylar in those cases.

15 hours ago, dichotomy said:

Has anyone ever seen something like this in mylar?

I think we all have our dollar cutoff, but anything under about $1500, I just put in the portfolio directly to save space.

17 hours ago, vodou said:

You also go by Alex?

He's my spirit animal. (thumbsu

Edited by BCarter27