• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's MARTIAN MANHUNTER: THE MOVIE in production (TBD)
1 1

12 posts in this topic

POC Actor Rumored to Star in DCEU’s Martian Manhunter Movie

POC-Actor-Rumored-to-Star-in-Martian-Man

The Martian Manhunter is one of the many DC characters that are yet to appear on the big screen. However, the character’s dry run may soon find itself overturned due to Warner Bros. planning to develop a movie featuring the shapeshifting alien superhero. Sources have revealed that the production studio is seeking a person of color to play the role of J’onn J’nnz in the film. Naturally, the film will be a part of the DCEU.

The decision to cast a non-Caucasian actor isn’t entirely surprising. Previous appearances of the character in other series’ and animations has always shown him to be a POC or voiced by a POC. Besides that, David Harewood plays the role of Martian Manhunter in The CW’s Arrowverse.

There’s been an increasing speculation about a version of the Manhunter already existing in the DCEU. Fan theories have suggested that General Swanwick, from Man of Steel and Batman V Superman, was actually the character in disguise. Zack Snyder recently confirmed the theory would have been revealed in his director’s cut of Justice League. The revelation ultimately adds to the lost list of reasons why fans are anticipating the release of the Snyder cut.

martian-manhunter-1.jpg

However, Warner Bros. seems to have dismissed Zack Snyder’s efforts to introduce the character. It seems unlikely for Harry Lennix to reprise the role in the Martian Manhunter project. The development of the movie was first announced back in April, and updates have been excruciatingly slow since. However, Warner Bros. seems eager to hurry things along, meaning that things will be moving along much faster.

Come Hell or high water, Harry Lennix is going to see a Martian Manhunter movie through to creation. Speaking with ComicBook.com in support of Zack Snyder's Justice League, The Blacklist star jokes that he feels "justice won't be done" until the fandom also campaigns for a standalone flick featuring J'onn J'onzz that spins out of the Snyder Cut.

"All I can say is that full justice won't be done until there's a Martian Manhunter movie [laughs]," Lennix tells us. "Listen up, fans! They made the Justice League happen, so..."

At the time, we were speaking about how long Lennix's Justice League character will appear in the feature. The actor wouldn't reveal exactly how many scenes he filmed for the director's cut; instead, he expressed excitement about the possibility of being in the film for a single second.

"If I'm in it at all, if I'm in it for 20 seconds or 10, I will be more than happy because I didn't think I was going to be in it and I certainly didn't know I was going to be Martian Manhunter until after Zack revealed it, but he always likes to surprise me," Lennix adds. "It was the happiest day that I never expected when I found out this was going to happen. I'm looking forward to it, whatever it is. If it's a second, I'll be thrilled."

Lennix has played Calvin Swanwick in two separate DCEU entries. He first played the character as a general in Snyder's Man of Steel, before receiving an off-screen promotion to Secretary of Defense in Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Snyder himself confirmed late last year that it was always his intention to reveal Swanwick as Martian Manhunter, a chance he never got after leaving Justice League the first time.

"Harry Lennix is pretending to be a human being but does a great job, but has this relationship with Lois that started in Man of Steel if you kind of track their relationship," Snyder previously said of the reveal. "Harry understands there's a relationship between Lois and Clark, who he knows, of course, is Superman."

Martian_Manhunter.PNG.f04e46f08353907fcbb140f60957a874.PNG

J'onn J'onzz is essential to the Justice League, as he's one of the wisest and most influential heroes in the team - to the point that he's prepared to restrain Superman if he ever goes rogue. But even outside the League, he has plenty of exciting stories in more than sixty years of comic book history. They range from the death of his entire race, his brief stint as a human detective, and his place in a universe that doesn't understand his true form. His extensive list of superpowers such as shapeshifting and invisibility also offers countless narrative possibilities, as well as his vulnerability to fire. It's quite odd that such a fascinating DC character has been so underutilized on the big screen.

Thankfully, Zack Snyder's Justice League will give J'onn J'onzz an opportunity to shine. Martian Manhunter's adventures with the Justice League in the DCEU might end there, since future ensemble movies are unlikely to happen - at least not with the same actors. However, the DCEU is still betting on solo movies such as Shazam: Fury of the Gods and Aquaman 2. Therefore, fans can't rule out a Martian Manhunter movie, which could be set on Earth or in the most distant corner of the universe.

If a Martian Manhunter movie were to happen, there are many paths the story can take. It can explore the tragic death of J'onn J'onzz's family as a more intimate version of the destruction of Krypton, or it could also be a film noir murder mystery that's grittier than any Batman movie ever made. Of course, it can also take a more conventional approach with an action-packed battle against J'onn Jonzz's archnemesis Despero, or a team-up with Green Lantern, Flash, or Miss Martian. In short, there are countless creative possibilities regarding Martian Manhunter, and all of them could produce a film unlike anything DC has ever done before.

5 hours ago, Eclipse said:

I work with Harry Lennox on the Blacklist everyday and i dont see how he can fit that into his schedule though, We film this season until early June then season 9 starts in July

He's Martian Manhunter!

:baiting: