• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Treasure Chest Vol 17 - Godless Communism
1 1

25 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Montezuma said:

I'm one of those rare people that actually collect Topic and Treasure chest. In addition to anti-communism they also joined the anti-comic bandwagon

Thanks for sharing. It did make me a bit nauseous though.

On 1/4/2020 at 3:04 PM, Hamlet said:

Mine were from 1949.  I sent them expecting the “Good” price ($2.88 in trade) based on what they were grading the other issues they had .  They haven’t graded them yet.  I think they were a little better than that, but it’s hard to grade these.  They appear to have been printed without any special cover stock/gloss.  Am I correct in that assumption?

They graded my Topix higher than I had expected.  I ended up getting about $20 in trade for the 3 of them.  I'm pretty happy with that, as I have no idea where I got them and don't have much collecting interest in them.  I'll get myself a nice Vampirella that I don't have yet with the credit.

On 1/4/2020 at 3:13 PM, vaillant said:

I am not sure I can reply appropriately, as the only issue I have is a 1950 (I think) issue which is a rare Christmas issue and a File copy (purchased that from Metropolis, years ago) and it has a glossy cover.
But I think you are correct: the issues up to 1949 had covers with the same paper stock of the insides. The earlier ones too, of course, as it was basically like a European comics journal (no cover) but in comic book format.

As for the content, I can imagine that, unlike Treasure Chest, wasn’t much exciting. The wartime issues are interesting as they feature brief lives of many saints (of varying artistic quality) which occasionally have insights in coeval historical events, like 12/1944 which opens a life of St. Benedict in this unusual and poignant way: the bombing of the Mount Cassino abbey by the allied forces (with some subtly implied criticism).

Timeless Topix 1944_12_p11.jpg

Fallschirmjägers and German officers informed enemies to NOT attack the abbey of Monte Cassino.  They defended the line in the mountain that led to the undefended abbey.  The enemies STILL didn't believe them.

6 hours ago, JollyComics said:

Fallschirmjägers and German officers informed enemies to NOT attack the abbey of Monte Cassino.  They defended the line in the mountain that led to the undefended abbey.  The enemies STILL didn't believe them.

Thanks for the insight. Yes, the events remain controversial for historians. I have an entire book about this, written recently.