• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dormant CAF Galleries

72 posts in this topic

I was discussing with a fellow collector yesterday about so many amazing pieces on CAF. And the discussion came about that some of the gallery owners have not updated their gallery in many years. One such gallery were discussing has not been updated since 2010! We were wondering what may have happened. Did the collector want to keep his collection private after years of posting dozens of pieces? Or maybe they fell out of collecting and sold everything? They became tired of inquiries from other collectors to sell? Or worse....?

Its interesting that so many amazing pieces are out there possibly sitting in folios untouched for years. What do ya'll think may have happened?

Just now, AnkurJ said:

I was discussing with a fellow collector yesterday about so many amazing pieces on CAF. And the discussion came about that some of the gallery owners have not updated their gallery in many years. One such gallery were discussing has not been updated since 2010! We were wondering what may have happened. Did the collector want to keep his collection private after years of posting dozens of pieces? Or maybe they fell out of collecting and sold everything? They became tired of inquiries from other collectors to sell? Or worse....?

Its interesting that so many amazing pieces are out there possibly sitting in folios untouched for years. What do ya'll think may have happened?

I know one in particular. We used to speak all the time. Tremendous gallery. Suddenly nothing. Years....past a decade. No response. No alternative contact. The mind wanders.

There are items we discussed priced in 2003 values. They sit there taunting me. 
My guess he had life changes that made playing on CAF obsolete.

Or God forbid did death make a house call?

11 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

Hey Ankur J,

what if Bill Cox had the power to put these dormant galleries up for auction? We all get 5 minutes to take a quick peek.

Can I get $1000 ? $1,000 ?

Going once...,,,

YEPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP !!!!!! 

19 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

What do ya'll think may have happened?

4 minutes ago, grapeape said:

what if Bill Cox had the power to put these dormant galleries up for auction? We all get 5 minutes to take a quick peek.

There are a lot of them. People move on or indeed die.

I think it would nice if Bill sent out an opt-in e-mail that the account was scheduled for deletion due to inactivity unless the owner clicked through the e-mail to the site, etc.

8 minutes ago, vodou said:

There are a lot of them. People move on or indeed die.

I think it would nice if Bill sent out an opt-in e-mail that the account was scheduled for deletion due to inactivity unless the owner clicked through the e-mail to the site, etc.

I’m sure it would open up a lot of storage space. But at the same token it removes the possibility of knowing the whereabouts of a piece. 

Doesn't the typical collector last about five years before burning out or just quitting the hobby altogether?

I know several who have dropped off the face of the earth - one of which I tried to contact tonight and who I have tried to contact several times over the last few years. I'm about to give up.

Finances usually have a lot to do with people leaving the hobby; It has gotten very pricey over the last few years. In a lot of cases, life takes different turns and collecting art just isn't a priority. I'm sure there are others who have passed away and that art will never be seen again.

Sometimes I'll check out the About the Owner box at the bottom a CAF gallery, there's the Gallery Comments by [ X ]

If member hasn't posted, that's one thing, If a member hasn't commented in a while, that's another thing.

Perhaps a simpler solution would start with Bill first sending out an email asking if the Owner is still interested in the hobby, but then gets no response. He can add the word “Dormant” to the top. He can also decide if he wants to set a time limit when the word dormant results in a take down.

Edited by Rick2you2

I tried to log back onto my Alex MUD account once, after a 10 year hiatus.  My account had been purged due to inactivity. 

Sometimes people take a long pause.  Sometimes folks pass away. I like the idea that the collection they curated,  and all they accomplished in this hobby will endure the ages. 

29 minutes ago, Stefanomjr said:

I tried to log back onto my Alex MUD account once, after a 10 year hiatus.  My account had been purged due to inactivity. 

Sometimes people take a long pause.  Sometimes folks pass away. I like the idea that the collection they curated,  and all they accomplished in this hobby will endure the ages. 

Not if you want to buy something and you get no response you won't.

2 hours ago, Stefanomjr said:

I like the idea that the collection they curated,  and all they accomplished in this hobby will endure the ages. 

I dunno, that's like everybody that ever touched a piece, kicked the bucket and their SO sent it up to HA. 50 years from now (not that CAF is still around by then lol ) how many different galleries will have that Kirby 2x splash?

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Not if you want to buy something and you get no response you won't.

Correct. And these days, half of accounts over there are anonymized with only last initial or totally bogus names (myself included) so you can't even search the net for the obituary!

2 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Sounds like a ton of policing for Bill. I’m sure he has better ways to spend his time.

This is probably a few hours or less of coding to create the automation can run from there requiring only maintenance if the code breaks. IT folks can correct me here if I've oversimplified or if it's even less effort than that ;)

13 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

I was discussing with a fellow collector yesterday about so many amazing pieces on CAF. And the discussion came about that some of the gallery owners have not updated their gallery in many years. One such gallery were discussing has not been updated since 2010! We were wondering what may have happened. 

Yeah, one of the former owners of that FF #118 cover whose provenance I chronicled in a recent thread hasn't updated his gallery since 2010.  I think he's just no longer very active in the hobby. 

3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Yeah, one of the former owners of that FF #118 cover whose provenance I chronicled in a recent thread hasn't updated his gallery since 2010.  I think he's just no longer very active in the hobby. 

Beats the alternative

On 12/25/2019 at 1:54 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Perhaps a simpler solution would start with Bill first sending out an email asking if the Owner is still interested in the hobby, but then gets no response. He can add the word “Dormant” to the top. He can also decide if he wants to set a time limit when the word dormant results in a take down.

Solution to what?

On 12/25/2019 at 1:54 AM, Rick2you2 said:

What is the problem? The only one I see is bandwidth for Bill and CAF, which probably isn't that much when it comes to dormant galleries. Why do people want dormant CAF galleries removed?