• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dormant CAF Galleries

72 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

2. CAF accounts with no active gallery at all, but they use their CAF account solely for the purpose of making unsolicited inquires of other active CAF members.  How many of those accounts do you think there are?  TONS.  Those are the ones that contact me and I click on their profile to find they have no CAF gallery at all and I just ignore them.  Their fishing.  My default assumption is they are a scam or out to screw someone over. 

I don’t post in my gallery for several reasons, but I am a premium member as my way of supporting the hobby. There are two major reasons I don’t post in my gallery: I don’t want unsolicited inquiries, and I don’t want people to look up my preferences out of a concern that the price I may be asked to pay for an item effectively goes up or makes negotiation more difficult. Yes, it does reduce the likelihood that someone will make me an offer of something I may be interested in, but it is a judgment call I made. And no, I don’t scam or screw people. 

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

I don’t post in my gallery for several reasons, but I am a premium member as my way of supporting the hobby. There are two major reasons I don’t post in my gallery: I don’t want unsolicited inquiries, and I don’t want people to look up my preferences out of a concern that the price I may be asked to pay for an item effectively goes up or makes negotiation more difficult. Yes, it does reduce the likelihood that someone will make me an offer of something I may be interested in, but it is a judgment call I made. And no, I don’t scam or screw people. 

Rick, I wasn't implying that you personally were, and I get your reasoning - and it's a shame so much money and maneuvering has driven people to feel that's the only way to handle it.  This only serves to hasten the decline of CAF.   I applaud that you are still a premium member, but if you don't have a gallery, I'm not 100% sure you get visible credit for that do you?  All the premium members are listed and flagged by gallery, but if there's no visible gallery, I'm not sure your patronage is visible on the site?? (shrug)

10 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

Rick, I wasn't implying that you personally were, and I get your reasoning - and it's a shame so much money and maneuvering has driven people to feel that's the only way to handle it.  This only serves to hasten the decline of CAF.   I applaud that you are still a premium member, but if you don't have a gallery, I'm not 100% sure you get visible credit for that do you?  All the premium members are listed and flagged by gallery, but if there's no visible gallery, I'm not sure your patronage is visible on the site?? (shrug)

You are right that it isn’t listed, but it is still the right thing to do. Still and all, I would never assume a contact is a fake or fraud; different motivations can produce very different results. 

On 12/28/2019 at 11:13 AM, vodou said:

Bill knows a substantial count will walk instead of pay; he's right and I don't think he wants that.

This.  I had a premium account for several years but really didn't find any advantage that made it worthwhile to me. If I were told I needed to pay something to have a page on the site I would delete mine.

Other people may find it real useful.

14 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

This.  I had a premium account for several years but really didn't find any advantage that made it worthwhile to me. If I were told I needed to pay something to have a page on the site I would delete mine.

Maybe Bill could create a simple donate function when you access the site.

Everybody else does it.

David

46 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

The CAF Premium always pays for itself. Either the daily emails or watching other CAF Galleries option I will end up buying artwork I want each year. Well worth it.

Just now, Brian Peck said:

The CAF Premium always pays for itself. Either the daily emails or watching other CAF Galleries option I will end up buying artwork I want each year. Well worth it.

I never bought anything when I had the premium account but glad it works well for you.

On 12/30/2019 at 9:08 PM, Will_K said:

There used to be a "donate" icon in the top left area.  Bill even mentioned that he added it because of a suggestion.  I guess it's no longer there because that icon wasn't self-supporting.

I just figured it out.  The "donate" icon appears if you're not logged into CAF.  The icon is the one all the way to the right.

caf.jpg