• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Novelty Press/Star Publications (Target Comics, Blue Bolt, Startling Terror Tales, etc.)
1 1

72 posts in this topic

On 12/29/2019 at 1:43 PM, buttock said:

Finding acceptable copies of these two was a challenge. 

MVIMG_20191229_113616.jpg

I remember passing on a white-paged, 5.5 copy of Target 7 that was in a CLink auction because I wanted to hold out for something higher grade. That was in 2013, and I'm still waiting. doh!

7 hours ago, Readcomix said:
13 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Hoarder...:baiting:

I prefer to see it as a rescue mission :grin:

That's also exactly what Chuck claimed when he acquired the Mile High Collection before the Church family could finished turfing it out with the rest of the trash before selling the house.  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

5 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:
43 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

That's also exactly what Chuck claimed when he acquired the Mile High Collection before the Church family could finished turfing it out with the rest of the trash before selling the house.  :takeit:

That Church family wasn't very informed, were they?

Well, at least they weren't dumb enough to PAY Chuck to haul all of the books away.  lol

They probably figured that Chuckles was some idiotic loser hippie who didn't know any better and were able to scam him by making him pay full cover price (i.e. 20,000 books times 10 cents = $2,000) for what amounted to nothing except some old used funny books.  doh!  :takeit:

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, at least they weren't dumb enough to PAY Chuck to haul all of the books away.  lol

They probably figured that Chuckles was some idiotic loser hippie who didn't know any better and were able to scam him by making him pay full cover price (i.e. 20,000 books times 10 cents = $2,000) for what amounted to nothing except some old used funny books.  doh!  :takeit:

did they ever get wise and come after him for more money, like the Spokane people did on the 7th St. collection?

11 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:
18 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

did they ever get wise and come after him for more money, like the Spokane people did on the 7th St. collection?

Rumours had it that they went after him in a court of law, but didn't have much of a case:

The Church family did take him to court and lost. They made the mistake of not asking how much the comics were valued. Chuck knew this and offered them pennies for their collection even though he knew what the collection. The Overstreet Price Guide had just come out and Chuck had been a dealer since 1969.

Not sure if the second sentence up above is correct or not since I thought they had lost the court case because they had come up with the amount of compensation for the collection, as opposed to Chuck determining what the proper compensation would be.  Big legal difference between them making an offer which Chuck simply accepted, as opposed to Chuckles making a low ball offer (i.e. knowing full well the value of the collection) and hence taking advantage of the family since they did not know any better.  hm  (tsk)

11 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Rumours had it that they went after him in a court of law, but didn't have much of a case:

The Church family did take him to court and lost. They made the mistake of not asking how much the comics were valued. Chuck knew this and offered them pennies for their collection even though he knew what the collection. The Overstreet Price Guide had just come out and Chuck had been a dealer since 1969.

Not sure if the second sentence up above is correct or not since I thought they had lost the court case because they had come up with the amount of compensation for the collection, as opposed to Chuck determining what the proper compensation would be.  Big legal difference between them making an offer which Chuck simply accepted, as opposed to Chuckles making a low ball offer (i.e. knowing full well the value of the collection) and hence taking advantage of the family since they did not know any better.  hm  (tsk)

Seems to me when he wrote his story for the Buyers Guide he said they wanted 10 cents an issue, but his story was so long and drawn out and boring that I'm not sure what he said.  He went into way too much detail about locating produce boxes and measuring the stacks of comics in each...and so on, and so on...:screwy:

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Seems to me when he wrote his story for the Buyers Guide he said they wanted 10 cents an issue, but his story was so long and drawn out and boring that I'm not sure what he said.  He went into way too much detail about locating produce boxes and measuring the stacks of comics in each...and so on, and so on...:screwy:

Yes, Chuck can definitely get quite verbose when it comes to telling a story.  :blahblah:  :blahblah:

It should also be pointed out that this is his side of the story and it would be very interesting if we could have also heard from the other side.  hm

The family probably thought the books were worthless since they contacted several of the shops and nobody was interested in even coming out to take a look at the books.  doh!

Except for poor Chuck who was probably still living out of his vehicle at the time and then he had to go borrow the $2K from Burrell Rowe in order to pay for the books.  Burrel didn't do too bad as he apparently got to cherry picked the first $10K worth of books based upon the current guide price in return for the $2K.  :takeit:

On 12/31/2019 at 3:53 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, Chuck can definitely get quite verbose when it comes to telling a story.  :blahblah:  :blahblah:

It should also be pointed out that this is his side of the story and it would be very interesting if we could have also heard from the other side.  hm

The family probably thought the books were worthless since they contacted several of the shops and nobody was interested in even coming out to take a look at the books.  doh!

Except for poor Chuck who was probably still living out of his vehicle at the time and then he had to go borrow the $2K from Burrell Rowe in order to pay for the books.  Burrel didn't do too bad as he apparently got to cherry picked the first $10K worth of books based upon the current guide price in return for the $2K.  :takeit:

I remember being in Chuck’s position at that age and having no money. He was smart enough to be able to find backing to buy a collection of that size. 

I remember having a conversation about “the closet”. He had no idea until they told him he had to “take them all”. He said his knees about buckled when they opened the door. He said the smell of fresh ink, paper and cedar just slapped him in the face. The books were stacked in piles with the oldest at the bottom of the stacks. It took him quite a while to actually find out there were complete runs of just about everything. 

Chuck was a pleasure to talk to. In spite of the positions guys like Chuck, Geppi, “The Fish” and others are in today. They all started out like all of us, Comic Geeks”. They have great stories and are happy to share them as fellow geeks if you just ask them. 

On 12/31/2019 at 6:24 PM, Timely said:

This book has the WHITEST pages I've ever seen on a 1940's  book... and I've seen quite a few!

IMG_8751.JPG

Man, what a pretty book and a spectacular copy. Did you submit it yourself? I have found it is very rare to find truly white pages but possible. 

I don’t buy many anymore, but I recently bought a nice group of Big Little Books. They look like they came if the press and were just put away in perfect conditions. No tears, creases, corner bends and literally bone white pages. I had to grab them all.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I don’t buy many anymore, but I recently bought a nice group of Big Little Books. They look like they came if the press and were just put away in perfect conditions. No tears, creases, corner bends and literally bone white pages. I had to grab them all.

Sounds like you really managed to scorebig time here as it's not that easy to find books from some 80+ years ago that looks fresh off the press. :applause:

Any of the truly HTF rare ones like the Big Little Mother Goose Book / Big Little Paint Book or the uber expensive ones like Mickey Mouse the Mail Pilot or Mickey and Minnie at Macy's?  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine