• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Memories from Christmas’s Past

41 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

That is true.

Fun story about the Space Gun Rifle and box

Many years ago Me, my wife and my Turtles daughter went to a local estate sale in a very small run down house locally. The house had been all cleaned out but when they went into the attic is was literally packed with toys from about 1948-1953. They belonged to the kid who lived there who had Polio. He was given tons of toys, comics, books and stuff. Many of them they had two of. The small living room was lined with tables with pretty much un-used toys.

It was a feeding frenzy. I managed to grab as many as I could with the help of my wife and daughter. My daughter grabbed the three large boxes of comics and basically sat on them for me. My wife went in to one of the bedrooms that had stacks and stacks of children's books. Under one of the tables she found a ton of empty boxes for the toys in the other room. The lady running the sale was clueless and clearly out of her element. She was surprised I wanted them and charged me $2. each for the boxes.

I said nothing to anybody. I went around and noticed who was buying what. I either offered to buy the toy or sell them the box. The rifle was one of the toys I bought. As was the Marx motorcycle. After it slowed down a lady took me out to the back yard and showed me a trash can full of boxes which I bought as well.

It was the estate sale of a life time. I still have a few empty boxes that I have never found the toys to.

The one that got away...a box full of 1951-1953 baseball cards including two Mantle rookies that I friend got.

I also got this 1953 Buck Rogers gun and box that day.

Believe me, I know the value of saving the boxes...

buckrogerssonicraygun4a.jpg

Beautiful piece, and extra special with the box. You never see the box. Exceptional!