• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Memories from Christmas’s Past

41 posts in this topic

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:10 PM, speedcake said:

I'd think having the boxes, and in such nice shape, would go a long way toward increasing value for all this stuff.  really cool that you hung on to all of it.

Yes. Not as much as the substantial increase that toys from the 20s through the 60s in original boxes and packaging, opened or unopened have, in many cases the value of the packaging or box adding more than the value of the toy itself to the value of the piece, but 1970s and 1980s toys with original packaging are not only worth more, in many cases, but the packing integrally add to the desirability thus market interest in a piece. This also holds true for any instructions, manuals, or accessories included in the packing.

There's a seller in the vintage toy arena that produces beautifully, accurately crafted repro boxes for vintage toys, mostly pre-1970s. 

Edited by James J Johnson

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:03 AM, Robot Man said:

Thanks for all the feedback guys. My daughter knew I kept some of her toys but we surprised how many. She loved these as a kid and was a little overwhelmed with them. She isn’t a collector but had fun checking them out. She said she might decide to sell them off down the road. She lives out of state and had to leave them here for a while. She took home the figures and small vehicles. She probably has all the guns and accessories as well. She is going to match them up. Are there any figures that are scarce? We had a lot of fun checking out this stuff.

We didn’t get into the back where her older sister’s stuff is. Her stuff is probably 5 years older. I saw some Star Wars boxes. 

As far as being a cool dad. I would think so but at the time they were living at home, they might disagree. Hey, stupid teenagers what do they know. We get along great as adults now. 

Great thread! A new Year's day treat. Many thanks!! :cloud9:

2 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Vehicles from the last post. 

Don't think anything is rare.  

• Cheapskate (skateboard) - Should be a "foot" pedal below the yellow part.
  • Sewer Party Tube (yellow inner tube) - should be a yellow flag that says Kowabunga
  • Double Barreled Plunger Gun - should be a 2nd green seat on the other side
  • Footski (blue hovercraft) - should have a red missile, red pole with a yellow flag that says Leech Patrol and black crossbones flag, and I believe 2 red bombs for the sides.
  • Pizza Thrower - should have a white triangular flag
  • Toilet Taxi (car with plungers in front) - should have a grey piping mechanism on the back with a flag; red seatbelt, and red gun/hose.
  • Sewer Sub - should have an orange gun on the rear top, orange periscope on the top, and I believe 2 orange bombs on blue wings for the lower sides.
  • Pizza Skimmin' Jetboat (red turtle-faced boat) - should have a Pizza Power flag for the front.

In the accessories pic, these are vehicles too: 

• Sewer Seltzer Cannon (small cannon) - will be complete when the soda/exhaust mechanism is re-added to it. 
  • Turtlecycle - should have a trashcan sidecar, sidecar wheel, handlebars, bucket slingshot, and a trash can lid.   

Patrick

Thanks for the info Patrick! I will pass it on to her. Big help!

Picture 2 of Figures (in order):

• Mutant Military Pro Pilot Donatello
  • Storage Shell Donatello
  • Sewer Swimmin' Donatello
  • Talkin' Donatello
  • Donatello (Original)
  • Pizza Tossin' Michaelangelo
  • Skateboardin' Michaelangelo
  • Rappin' Mike
  • Classic Clownin' Mike
  • Still working on ID'ing this one
  • Rock N Roll Michaelangelo
  • Michaelangelo (Original)
  • Mutatin' Michaelangelo

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Thanks James. Yeah, I have a lot of old toys with original boxes. They definitely add a lot to the value of a toy. Hard to pass on when they turn up. Most of what I pick up is pre 1970 stuff. Here is a pretty one from the 1950’s I picked up very reasonably about a month ago. 

80A0D82A-98A0-4E87-AE16-339BF0057516.jpeg

Some of the artwork on the boxes and packaging is just as interesting and beautiful as the toy inside, like this fantastic piece imaged! The box adds a fourth dimension of significance and beauty to the piece.

A lot of the pre-1970 space toys feature artwork on the boxes, although not usually credited, that are very reminiscent of Frazetta, Kubert, Norm Saunders (Jets, Rockets, and Spacemen), and first class sci-fi pulp artists!

Edited by James J Johnson

Picture 3 of Figures (in order):

• Leonardo (Original)
  • Still working to ID this one; hard to see top 2 in the pic.
  • Shogun Leo
  • Chief Leo
  • Mutatin' Leonardo
  • T.D. Tossin' Leo
  • Casey Jones
  • April O'Neil
  • Metalhead
  • Slash
  • Raph the Space Cadet
  • Still working to ID this one
  • Raph the Magnificent
  • Raphael (Original)

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Thanks James. Yeah, I have a lot of old toys with original boxes. They definitely add a lot to the value of a toy. Hard to pass on when they turn up. Most of what I pick up is pre 1970 stuff. Here is a pretty one from the 1950’s I picked up very reasonably about a month ago. 

80A0D82A-98A0-4E87-AE16-339BF0057516.jpeg

Do toy collectors do pressing and color touch on boxes?  not a single tiny scrape on that 9.8 train looks like.

2 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Picture 3 of Figures (in order):

• Leonardo (Original)
  • Still working to ID this one; hard to see top 2 in the pic.
  • Shogun Leo
  • Chief Leo
  • Mutatin' Leonardo
  • T.D. Tossin' Leo
  • Casey Jones
  • April O'Neil
  • Metalhead
  • Slash
  • Raph the Space Cadet
  • Still working to ID this one
  • Raph the Magnificent
  • Raphael (Original)

Wow, thanks for all the info Leader! (worship)I have no idea about this stuff. My daughter, although having a lot of “kid” left in her house probably hasn’t followed the Turtles in 25 years. Funny, she thought the Dirtball one was missing his head...:roflmao:

Is Usagi Yojimbo part of the Turtle family? 

2 hours ago, kav said:

Do toy collectors do pressing and color touch on boxes?  not a single tiny scrape on that 9.8 train looks like.

That train is from 1959! It's in amazing shape, due to being stored in the original box. My guess is attic stored, that original box and toy train housed in another larger corrugated box, probably with other toys. There's no settled dust engrained on either the box or train that mutes and soils the colors and finish, and while you don't have to worry about moisture/mildew effects damaging attic stored items, unless the roof leaks, direct exposure of the hot air + dust/debris to the toy and/or box itself can be damaging. This one survived wonderfully.

33 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

As I said, I love boxed toys. Probably part of the reason I saved the ones for my daughter.

robottv.jpg

tomcorbettrilfe:box.jpg

batmobile.jpg

motorcycleinbox.jpg

gmanguns.jpg

brogershelmet1.jpg

Great pieces all. The boxes are the collecting Achilles Heel for these pieces. The toys are out there. Even very rare toys turn up every once in a blue moon, but usually without the boxes that most parents were eager to scrap as junk! And the bigger the box, like the Space Gun pictured, the more unlikely it was to be saved.

48 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Great pieces all. The boxes are the collecting Achilles Heel for these pieces. The toys are out there. Even very rare toys turn up every once in a blue moon, but usually without the boxes that most parents were eager to scrap as junk! And the bigger the box, like the Space Gun pictured, the more unlikely it was to be saved.

That is true.

Fun story about the Space Gun Rifle and box

Many years ago Me, my wife and my Turtles daughter went to a local estate sale in a very small run down house locally. The house had been all cleaned out but when they went into the attic is was literally packed with toys from about 1948-1953. They belonged to the kid who lived there who had Polio. He was given tons of toys, comics, books and stuff. Many of them they had two of. The small living room was lined with tables with pretty much un-used toys.

It was a feeding frenzy. I managed to grab as many as I could with the help of my wife and daughter. My daughter grabbed the three large boxes of comics and basically sat on them for me. My wife went in to one of the bedrooms that had stacks and stacks of children's books. Under one of the tables she found a ton of empty boxes for the toys in the other room. The lady running the sale was clueless and clearly out of her element. She was surprised I wanted them and charged me $2. each for the boxes.

I said nothing to anybody. I went around and noticed who was buying what. I either offered to buy the toy or sell them the box. The rifle was one of the toys I bought. As was the Marx motorcycle. After it slowed down a lady took me out to the back yard and showed me a trash can full of boxes which I bought as well.

It was the estate sale of a life time. I still have a few empty boxes that I have never found the toys to.

The one that got away...a box full of 1951-1953 baseball cards including two Mantle rookies that I friend got.

I also got this 1953 Buck Rogers gun and box that day.

Believe me, I know the value of saving the boxes...

buckrogerssonicraygun4a.jpg

22 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Wow, thanks for all the info Leader! (worship)I have no idea about this stuff. My daughter, although having a lot of “kid” left in her house probably hasn’t followed the Turtles in 25 years. Funny, she thought the Dirtball one was missing his head...:roflmao:

Is Usagi Yojimbo part of the Turtle family? 

Yojimbo owned by Stan Sakai.  

But he crossed over in the Turtle comics, TV Show, and toys regularly. 

There was a space version of Yojimbo later too. 

No problem on the help.  IMO, that's the point of the boards. 

Patrick