• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

State of the industry
1 1

37 posts in this topic

Here are a few suggestions over the last 20 years.

Invincible - Pure Superhero stuff with development

Old Man Logan - Wolverine 66-72 The ending was lame, but it got there.

Jupiter' Legacy - Absolute Classic

Planetary - This story goes 27 issues and is fantastic.

The Boys - Adult oriented but a fun read.

Ultimate Spider-man 
Birds of Prey 
Exiles 1-50 or so great What if stories
Walking Dead - If you like Zombies

Marvel Zombie 1st Set - If nothing, but to read Spider-man crying and crying
about Aunt May and Mary Jane. lol

Annihilation - Probably the greatest Space Saga written I think.
Annihilation Conquest - Almost as good.

11 hours ago, catman76 said:

Go look into independent, self published stuff, fantagraphics, etc. There's so many great comics being made today, probably more than ever. I just got Kim Deitch's latest and it's amazing. Forget the "industry", it's just boring superhero crud.

I probably wouldn’t go to Fantagraphics first of all, as a lot of their output is very left field.  There are exceptions such as Love and Rockets, which is still excellent, and, especially for me, Jaime Hernandez’s work.

Image would be an easier starting point as a stepping stone away from DC and Marvel for someone who’s stated they’re a fan of Claremont and Miller.

Edited by Ken Aldred

12 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

That in a nutshell is why is I hated the post Ditko spideys.   (Romita era for the most part).  He was a soap opera wuss instead of a kid wrapped up in some amazing adventures.   The soap opera crepe was a bigger focus of the stories than the superhero stuff.    Blech.   

Edited by Bronty

Thanks, everyone.  I picked up the HCs for House of X, The Vision, Annihilation, Planetary, and vol 1 of Immortal Hulk.  Also got Preacher vol 1 though I don't think anyone here recommended it.  If none of these work out, I'll just go back to collecting slabbed covers.  :)

1 minute ago, Poekaymon said:

Thanks, everyone.  I picked up the HCs for House of X, The Vision, Annihilation, Planetary, and vol 1 of Immortal Hulk.  Also got Preacher vol 1 though I don't think anyone here recommended it.  If none of these work out, I'll just go back to collecting slabbed covers.  :)

Let us know how it turns out either way :foryou:

Hope you find something you like!

On 12/29/2019 at 2:59 PM, fastballspecial said:

Here are a few suggestions over the last 20 years.

Invincible - Pure Superhero stuff with development

Old Man Logan - Wolverine 66-72 The ending was lame, but it got there.

Jupiter' Legacy - Absolute Classic

Planetary - This story goes 27 issues and is fantastic.

The Boys - Adult oriented but a fun read.

Ultimate Spider-man 
Birds of Prey 
Exiles 1-50 or so great What if stories
Walking Dead - If you like Zombies

Annihilation - Probably the greatest Space Saga written I think.
Annihilation Conquest - Almost as good.

Throw in Transmetropolitain, Daytripper Scalped and 100 Bullets and thats as good a cross-section as you could imagine.

Some damn good reads there.

Best current titles: Action Comics, Detective Comics, Superman, and Batman. Those are the only ones I personally and fully enjoy.

Captain America #1 was decent, but I have yet to buy another issue. Iron Man is just awful. Lost interest in Spider-Man after just 10 issues.

On 12/29/2019 at 11:18 AM, Bronty said:

That in a nutshell is why is I hated the post Ditko spideys.   (Romita era for the most part).  He was a soap opera wuss instead of a kid wrapped up in some amazing adventures.   The soap opera crepe was a bigger focus of the stories than the superhero stuff.    Blech.   

Almost the same for the early Ditkos as well but totally for Romita.  I have to skip over a lot of the romance and drama when reading to the kids.  Too much of Betty Brant pining for Peter and being jealous of the attention Liz was giving him.  Peter's banter is also so dated I'm having to explain what a lot of the 60's slang and quips he uses mean to the kids.  Back when I read each word of dialog out loud in character to the kids with pauses for inflection and tone it took me over 45 minutes to get through the whole comic cover to cover and I was exhausted.  Now they're either asleep or disinterested by the time I get to the centerfold so I have to skip and jump only to the cool superhero parts.  I'm afraid my kids at ages 8 and 6 are now too mature for goofy dialog in those comics but too young to understand the romance parts.  So I'll probably have to just pause until their older and see if they want to read them for themselves when they're older.

Right; those elements were tolerable in the Ditko stories and had a great charm to them actually because they really rounded out the character.   In the romita issues it starts to be more soap opera than superhero and It’s soap opera for soap opera’s sake IMO rather than as part of character development .

Edited by Bronty

2 hours ago, justafan said:

Peter's banter is also so dated I'm having to explain what a lot of the 60's slang and quips he uses mean to the kids. 

I found it dated even as a kid in the late 70s.

The world changed very quickly.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I felt that way any time I looked at Don Heck’s 60’s art.   He seems to have taken pains to dress his characters in fashion appropriate ti the time but looking at the material decades after the fact  Makes you feel like you’re scanning thru a 1964 fashion mag :sick:

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

Right; those elements were tolerable in the Ditko stories and had a great charm to them actually because they really rounded out the character.   In the romita issues it starts to be more soap opera than superhero and It’s soap opera for soap opera’s sake IMO rather than as part of character development .

Agreed. In my opinion, this is a direct reflection of the 'Marvel Method' being performed first by Ditko and then by Romita. The common denominator was Lee. I have a nostalgic fondness for the Romita Spider-Man because I grew up with that but early on having a chance to get the Ditko Spidey's from Marvel Tales, I devoured those stories and read and re-read them until they fell apart (or almost) in my hands. About a year ago, I re-read ASM starting from AF # 15 thru the 80 numbers. Outside of some truly stand-out issues and story arcs (#38 - 39 Green Goblin) (# 47 - 49 Kraven / New Vulture) (#50 - 52 Kingpin) the Romita era became that 'soap opera' you mention. You can read through those later issues within minutes of starting while the Ditko issues were 'story strong'. 

Not sure if you had a chance to read/check out  Captain America (Volume 5) Winter Soldier stuff, by Ed. Brubaker.   I found it to be a very entertaining, read more like a spy story than superhero story.

I am liking the current Daredevil stuff right now.  

Immortal Hulk has been bizarre, but in a horror way.  Not my thing, but I am sticking with it, to see how it ends up.   

On 1/2/2020 at 4:24 PM, davidtere said:

Agreed. In my opinion, this is a direct reflection of the 'Marvel Method' being performed first by Ditko and then by Romita. The common denominator was Lee. I have a nostalgic fondness for the Romita Spider-Man because I grew up with that but early on having a chance to get the Ditko Spidey's from Marvel Tales, I devoured those stories and read and re-read them until they fell apart (or almost) in my hands. About a year ago, I re-read ASM starting from AF # 15 thru the 80 numbers. Outside of some truly stand-out issues and story arcs (#38 - 39 Green Goblin) (# 47 - 49 Kraven / New Vulture) (#50 - 52 Kingpin) the Romita era became that 'soap opera' you mention. You can read through those later issues within minutes of starting while the Ditko issues were 'story strong'. 

And Ditko was 8-9 panel grid for 90% of his stories! That's a lot of writing!

Yeah, as much as I love Romita, probably my favorite artist of the era, his story writing (and villain creating) just wasn't what Ditko's was. You can see the romance influence on his books heavily from his work at DC. Now personally, I like the romance stuff, so i enjoyed almost all of that run tremendously - Spidey was the #1 selling book (it happened during Ditko's run and held that spot for many years), and a lot of that was probably because of that continuing romance angle.

But yeah, you sure got your money's worth of story and dialogue from the Ditko issues...

All I can say to the OP is:

ENJOY!!!!!!!

I'm almost envious that he hasn't read anything since the early 90's because there has been soooooooo much amazing material published since. A real smorgasbord to dive into! 

Edited by KEY ISSUES Comics