Incredible Hulk 1 - 6 Advice Needed
1 1

13 posts in this topic

11 posts

Hello fellow collectors and true believers! Thank you in advance for taking the time to reply and offer the advice.

 I currently own the following :

Incredible Hulk

1 (graded by PGX 2.0)

2,3,4 ungraded

5 (graded by CGC 5.0)

6 ungraded.

I have been considering sending in the ungraded books to CGC to be graded and just had a couple questions. Should I crack the PGX #1 and send that is as well? Also, if I choose say Standard ($65) or Economy ($38)….plus shipping and all the related fees......are there other costs involved.....the reason I ask is that I don't understand the "Max Value Per Book" column on CGC's Fee chart.

Im sorry for the silly questions but its important to me as these are a Bucket List fulfillment for me and I want to make smart decisions :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
695 posts

"I have Hulk 1-6" is a nice 1st post!

CGC can crack the book so I would suggest sending it as is and letting them do it.  I do not believe there is any fee for them to crack it open.

Think of the "max value per book" what you would like CGC to insure the book for when it's in their possession.  That will also determine the shipping price back to you (e.g. if you use USPS registered mail then the max value also plays into the shipping insurance for USPS)

The max value you use then determines the submission tier and associated turnaround time.     You can post pics/scans to the "Buddy Can you Spare a Grade" forum to get members input as to a poss grade which can help you get a ballpark idea to the comics value

If you choose "Walkthru" then there's an extra fee based on the book's value.  If you want it back faster then there's a "fast track" option for some tiers

If you choose different tiers for your books then they will be basically split into separate orders which will increase your shipping back to you

There's fees for pressing, screening for pressing/restoration.  Of course you can use a private 3rd party for those services if you wish which has it's own set of costs

 

Lots of stuff so don't rush into it if you're not sure.  Take your time to search the boards for posts related to fees/shipping etc.   You can call CGC too and/or use the 'Ask CGC' forum

here's a link to a return shipping fee chart for registered mail USPS (not sure if it's out of date)

https://www.cgccomics.com/pdf/cgc-return-shipping-fees.pdf

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 posts

I can't really give much advice other than I think that all 6 as a set would be an 'Incredible' display with the Hulk custom labels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
995 posts

What grades would you guess the 2, 3, 4 and 6 to be? That would impact my advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 posts

While Im not sure of what grade they would get, Im sure they are all worth more than the $400 max for Economy so can I send them in as Standard and CGC would automatically upgrade them to a higher level if they graded as such? Or, if I send them all in at the Express level, are they going to downgrade the ones that don't make that level and charge me less? I do like the much faster turn around times posted for the higher levels. I have some pictures taken and can post them here if you like...or should I post it in that other thread that was recommended in an earlier post?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 posts
5 hours ago, oldrover said:

What grades would you guess the 2, 3, 4 and 6 to be? That would impact my advice.

I am not sure on that. I guess I can take a big stab in the dark:

2 has some chipping, darker pages than the others and a small split in the bottom of the spine so maybe somewhere between a 2.5 and 3.5?

3 looks about the same as the graded 5....so maybe 5.0

4 looks nice...has a small split in the lower spine maybe 5.0 to 6.0

6 is nice …..6.0 to 6.5

Im completely guessing and have zero experience but it is the best I can do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
995 posts
45 minutes ago, Green-One said:

I am not sure on that. I guess I can take a big stab in the dark:

2 has some chipping, darker pages than the others and a small split in the bottom of the spine so maybe somewhere between a 2.5 and 3.5?

3 looks about the same as the graded 5....so maybe 5.0

4 looks nice...has a small split in the lower spine maybe 5.0 to 6.0

6 is nice …..6.0 to 6.5

Im completely guessing and have zero experience but it is the best I can do.

 

That’s pretty good. My reason for asking is to see if they could all be submitted under one grading category, to save you shipping. As others have said, the #1 will have to be done as a walkthrough. But IMHO you can send the rest through as Standard, which will save you on shipping. I arrive at that valuing at the lowest reasonably possible Overstreet grade/worth. That’s what I’d do, anyway. I would get them pressed first though... through a third party. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 posts
14 minutes ago, oldrover said:

That’s pretty good. My reason for asking is to see if they could all be submitted under one grading category, to save you shipping. As others have said, the #1 will have to be done as a walkthrough. But IMHO you can send the rest through as Standard, which will save you on shipping. I arrive at that valuing at the lowest reasonably possible Overstreet grade/worth. That’s what I’d do, anyway. I would get them pressed first though... through a third party. 

Thank you very much. I think I will go try and post the pics in that other thread for the heck of it and see what people think they may grade at.

I appreciate all the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,925 posts

A PGX 2.0 can have surprises that are not on the label, such as it could be incomplete. If that worst case is still a keeper/slabber for you, go ahead and let CGC do it. But if it's a difference maker (as in you would replace it) maybe figure that out first. 

I think you can go to their website, enter the serial #, and get free grader's notes emailed. They also respond to email far as I know. 

Caveat - my experience is an N of one, as I have exactly one PGX book, a hen's tooth golden age that never comes up for sale, so when it came up in a PGX slab I bought it anyway.

Welcome to the boards!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 posts
8 hours ago, Readcomix said:

A PGX 2.0 can have surprises that are not on the label, such as it could be incomplete. If that worst case is still a keeper/slabber for you, go ahead and let CGC do it. But if it's a difference maker (as in you would replace it) maybe figure that out first. 

I think you can go to their website, enter the serial #, and get free grader's notes emailed. They also respond to email far as I know. 

Caveat - my experience is an N of one, as I have exactly one PGX book, a hen's tooth golden age that never comes up for sale, so when it came up in a PGX slab I bought it anyway.

Welcome to the boards!

Awesome idea to contact them for grader notes, thank you! Yes, this entire set will be a keeper for me. I'm perfectly content and so happy to have it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,225 posts

If it was me, I'd send in the #1 still in the PGX slab and have them unslab it themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1