• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Star article on Comic OA

52 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

That’s not apples to apples... can’t compare Kirby to what the starting or average guy is getting.   Even in the 50s he was already a grizzled veteran

Inflation since then is nearly 10x. If you care to assume K was 2x the average, the majority of the artists today are still being paid less in purchasing power.

31 minutes ago, alxjhnsn said:

Inflation since then is nearly 10x. If you care to assume K was 2x the average, the majority of the artists today are still being paid less in purchasing power.

2x the average is pulled straight from your posterior ;)

gotta compare him to say Jim Lee.   We simply don’t know but I’d be surprised if Jim isn’t making more particularly once you add in what his work will fetch in the market  .   If you want to talk average page rates then the discussion is Don Perlin not Jack Kirby  

Edited by Bronty

13 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

From an interview in the Comics Journal

GROTH: When you say you were doing very well, what does that mean? What was your page rate in the ’50s?

KIRBY: Thirty-five to 50 dollars for a complete page. It depended on who you worked for. Some paid less. Some paid more.

This says $35-$50 for a complete page - plotting, writing, inking, and lettering; not just pencils.
So if you're looking at comps for today's rates you'd want to include the range of rates for penciller, inker, letterer - not to mention writer.

13 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

Comic Book Artist
The median comic book artist salary is $36,500

Penciller
Starting rates at Marvel and DC: $160 to $260 per page.

Inker
$75 to $100 per page.

Colorist
$20 and $121 per page

Letterer
$10 and $25 per page

...so today's combined rate range would be between $245 -$385 for pencils, letters and inks, not including the writer's or colorist's fees.
I left off colorist because I am unsure if Kirby was including some sort of color guides when he referenced a "complete page" from S&K studios.  I believe I've read that back then some color guides were done at the printer, depending on the company.

So today's artist combined (high) rates at $385 - especially if you need to add in a writers fee on top of that -  is close to the high range of the inflation calculator of Simon &Kirby's $480 in 2020. (a $95 a page difference)

Edited by Unca Ben

4 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

So today's artist combined (high) rates at $385 - especially if you need to add in a writers fee on top of that -  is close to the high range of the inflation calculator of Simon &Kirby's $480 in 2020. (a $95 a page difference)

Still that's a 20% pay cut over the years and the cost of the books (64 pages for $0.10 cents) to today (20 pages of story for $4.00) is even greater than inflation (640 pages per $1 vs. 5 pages per $1; 128x). Someone's making money, but it doesn't seem to be the creative types.

9 hours ago, Bronty said:

2x the average is pulled straight from your posterior ;)

gotta compare him to say Jim Lee.   We simply don’t know but I’d be surprised if Jim isn’t making more particularly once you add in what his work will fetch in the market  .   If you want to talk average page rates then the discussion is Don Perlin not Jack Kirby  

Re: 2x
Yes, it's a guess. 

Re: Compare to Jim Lee
Back in the 50s and early 60s (prior to 64 - the timeframe of the quote) the big money cartoonists were in the papers. Yes, Jack probably made more than many others in comics in the 50s/early 60s, but was it the same % difference as Jim versus others today? It seems unlikely to me.

Plus Jack didn't have the aftermarket for his work that Jim has; Jack's sole buyer was the publisher. :(

Comparing pay of the 60’s to present day is an apples to oranges exercise, where present day compensation may include:

-character ownership & payment for usage thereof in multi media services, consumables, games, movies, streaming, etc.

- medical/health care, by the larger companies.  I don’t know the qualifications necessary for the creator to obtain, but it’s there

-OA page returns/sales therof

-compensation based on sales figures

i think when you include all of the above compensation, you’ll agree the majority of artists working for the larger companies are relatively better off today than yesteryear.

oh, and in regard to Kirby’s pay in the 60’s, let’s not forget the bonuses he received from Marvel.  It was referenced in Alter Ego, but I recall Kirby received $10K one year, which was a substantial amount back then

2 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

Re: 2x
Yes, it's a guess. 

Re: Compare to Jim Lee
Back in the 50s and early 60s (prior to 64 - the timeframe of the quote) the big money cartoonists were in the papers. Yes, Jack probably made more than many others in comics in the 50s/early 60s, but was it the same % difference as Jim versus others today? It seems unlikely to me.

Plus Jack didn't have the aftermarket for his work that Jim has; Jack's sole buyer was the publisher. :(

Which is exactly my point

Yeah but it’s not apples to apples because nothing about the industries and the way the guys get paid is the same.   The reality is the guys at the fringe are probably making less than ever and the stars are probably making more than ever

1 hour ago, AnkurJ said:

James Halperin, Heritage founder and co-chairman. “I don’t think we’re really near the bubble [bursting] yet.”

Very promising :facepalm:

Seriously.  

While I think most original comic art is undervalued, it is curious to hear big collectors talk about bubbles.

I think waves is more appropriate.

David