• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Star article on Comic OA

52 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, aokartman said:

Seriously.  

While I think most original comic art is undervalued, it is curious to hear big collectors talk about bubbles.

I think waves is more appropriate.

David

So, in other words, he agrees the hobby is on a bubble, but it has room to grow bigger before it pops? Not reassuring for long term growth.

5 hours ago, comicnoir said:

I just hated the ZOWIE! header. Must they always do that?

They really must.   50 years of similar ‘comic books are worth money now’ articles and the 1966 Batman tv show is somehow still relevant, every time.

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

So, in other words, he agrees the hobby is on a bubble, but it has room to grow bigger before it pops? Not reassuring for long term growth

I doubt that’s his position .    Sometimes when you get interviewed the reporter doesn’t quite convey what you meant.   ‘Out of context’ and all that... a few words quoted that were probably part of a twenty minute discussion.

Edited by Bronty

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

I doubt that’s his position .    Sometimes when you get interviewed the reporter doesn’t quite convey what you meant.   ‘Out of context’ and all that... a few words quoted that were probably part of a twenty minute discussion.

I doubt it was his position, too, but he may have really felt that way and it Freudian slipped out by accident.

Maybe, but if he was the buyer on Egyptian Queen as is suspected, would he really cough up 5M if he thought a bubble looming?   

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Maybe, but if he was the buyer on Egyptian Queen as is suspected, would he really cough up 5M if he thought a bubble looming?   

If the bubble looks like it has another 10 years to expand, and that is a special piece, then yes. Look for it to be up for sale again in less than 10 years. Prices tend to go up, a lot, before a bubble bursts.

he was the buyer on Egyptian Queen

^^

but...

would he really cough up 5M

No. Not with a guarantor contract waiving BP in hand ;)

All the haters are gonna eat my shorts on this one when it all comes out..finally.

Real Headline: 4.5m

if he thought a bubble looming?   

Immaterial. If it's Jim making the headline (kinda like fake news since he didn't top any other bids) then any losses accrue to "the marketing budget" lol

Higher prices beget higher prices. Until they don't. We're not there yet.

Edited by vodou
misspelling

5 hours ago, vodou said:

^^

but...

No. Not with a guarantor contract waiving BP in hand ;)

All the haters are gonna eat my shorts on this one when it all comes out..finally.

Real Headline: 4.5m

What next? Gonna tell me JN from that other auction house bid $100,000 K on the ASM 238 cover that one of his consignors was selling?

H8 H8 H8 H8 H8

2 hours ago, vodou said:

No need, Josh Nathanson told us himself that's what he did :)

Ok....fair enough but if someone tells me that a collector  bought an Entire BWS Conan story with enough money to buy a mansion in Oklahoma—-Then—- wanted to return it because the condition of the back of the pages was not disclosed——I’ll be the one eating my own shorts.

8 hours ago, grapeape said:

Ok....fair enough but if someone tells me that a collector  bought an Entire BWS Conan story with enough money to buy a mansion in Oklahoma—-Then—- wanted to return it because the condition of the back of the pages was not disclosed——I’ll be the one eating my own shorts.

The back of the pages?

Obviously the Grapeish One is poking the bear here, using examples that are well-known to all here of a more than two year 'vintage' ;)

Josh Nathanson -ComicLink side of both stories

Court Gebeau -consignor with guarantee in hand for $100k (as a floor)

Mark McDermott -disappointed winner and returner of BWS complete Conan story (which story, issue #, I forget, not my "thing") based on "back scans" dispute.

The above is all public information. What's not publicly known (yet) is the actual terms/conditions of the guarantee (or for certain that there was one, but if it walks like a... and talks like a..., it is a...) for Frazetta's Egyptian Queen. We each have our speculations, some more educated than others, including name/motivations/quid pro quo value, etc. and that's it. For now :)

2 minutes ago, vodou said:

Obviously the Grapeish One is poking the bear here, using examples that are well-known to all here of a more than two year 'vintage' ;)

Mark McDermott -:)

I do remember all of the above until we get to the 'back scans' part.   I don't recall what the issue was?

Someone said, "Read. The. Transcript."...(bad joke)

Somewhere, in some buried thread, Mark detailed his recollections of the ordeal..In general [since I do not have the transcript in front of me], I recall that Mark phoned Josh, & asked, 'what are the conditions of the pages on the reverse?' Josh answered, 'No problems'...

1 hour ago, First Upgrade said:

Someone said, "Read. The. Transcript."...(bad joke)

Somewhere, in some buried thread, Mark detailed his recollections of the ordeal..In general [since I do not have the transcript in front of me], I recall that Mark phoned Josh, & asked, 'what are the conditions of the pages on the reverse?' Josh answered, 'No problems'...

My recollection of that paraphrasing as well -according to Mark.

I don't remember how much of Mark's statements were confirmed by Josh though, except that it sure wasn't everything that Mark wrote lol

3 hours ago, vodou said:

Mark McDermott -disappointed winner and returner of BWS complete Conan story (which story, issue #, I forget, not my "thing") based on "back scans" dispute.

The above is all public information. What's not publicly known (yet) is the actual terms/conditions of the guarantee (or for certain that there was one, but if it walks like a... and talks like a..., it is a...) for Frazetta's Egyptian Queen. We each have our speculations, some more educated than others, including name/motivations/quid pro quo value, etc. and that's it. For now :)

You are right my friend. Just having fun. I believe you have info.......and....well.......

image.jpeg.c721f2c457627faf15028d9ed894081f.jpeg

1 hour ago, vodou said:

My recollection of that paraphrasing as well -according to Mark.

I don't remember how much of Mark's statements were confirmed by Josh though, except that it sure wasn't everything that Mark wrote lol

You can find that thread but I dare not link it here. Mark's "detailed" writing went on a bit to make a point. Lots of board members kept quoting and we soon had the manuscript of War and Peace II. In the end my buddy Mark got things resolved and I'm glad. I want everybody to be happy if they can.