• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Miller Daredevils CLOSED
2 2

37 posts in this topic

This sale is about 20 years in the making, as I have been hoarding these Miller DD Newsstands for a long time while continually updating my own collection.  Newsstand Editions are much rarer, and in my opinion, much more desirable than the common Direct Sales Editions out there.  I have previously written about this topic.  If you're interested, here is my journal from about seven years ago: In Praise of Newsstand Editions.  

I have just about completed my personal collection (none of which are for sale, but all of which you can view here: Cardiac Kid's Miller Daredevils), although I am STILL SEEKING a What If 35, Newsstand Edition CGC 9.8 with white pages.  I am convinced that it is a UNICORN.  I have been scouring eBay, ComicLink, Pedigree, etc. . . . all of the usual sites for TWO DECADES and I have never seen one.  There are plenty of Direct Sales Editions our there . . . which further illustrates my point about the rarity of Newsstand Editions . . . but I am not interested in Direct Sales Editions or I would already own one.  If there is anyone reading this who has a What If 35 which fits my criteria, please be advised that I will either: (1) overpay for it, if you would like to sell it, or: (2) trade you multiple books from this thread, if you would like me to trade you for it.  I don't expect to hear from anyone who has one because I don't think anyone does.

Anyway, let's get to the sale.  

RULES:

• No HOS/probationers;
  • Bank of America check preferred and will receive a 5% discount off the prices listed.  If your bank is not Bank of America, or you prefer to use PayPal, the prices stand;
  • Shipping to the Continental U.S. via U.S. Post Office Priority Mail, is $10.00.  The cost to me will no doubt be more than that, but that will be your contribution.   Shipping to Hawaii, Alaska is $15.00.  Shipping to Canada is $20.00.  International shipping will be need to be determined based on where you live.
  • No returns on the slabs; if you need more information about any particular one, please let me know and I am sure I can provide an answer;
  • I'll mark books SOLD as soon as I can, but if another boardie beats me to it, then he/she is the winner!  Thus ... the first :takeit: (or variant thereof) in the thread claims the book(s) and trumps ANY negotiations via PM;
  • If you are paying by PayPal, I expect payment within a couple of days.  If you are mailing a check, I expect to receive it within a week.  If you take longer than that, I reserve the right to put the book back up for sale.  Communication is the key, however; if you stay in touch with me, I will likely bend these rules, depending on what you have to say'
  • I am not sure how long I will keep this thread open.  Ultimately, what does not sell here will be posted to eBay at higher prices.

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY HUNTING!

Edited by CardiacKid1

Let's start with the MacDaddy . . . Daredevil 158.  Like most of the books that will be listed here, it is CGC 9.8 with White Pages.  This example is particularly desirable, however, because it is OLD LABEL.  Graded by CGC in the old days, when many believe that the standards were stricter on these modern books.  

Last recorded sale on GPA was $720, in November 2019.  I will sell this to the first boardie who wants it at $650.00.

DD158.jpg

DD158a.jpg

Edited by CardiacKid1
Better pics

Next up:  DD 159.  This one is CGC 9.8 with off-white to white pages.  GPA reports that the 2017 average sale was $230 then the 2018 average sale was $237.  Solely because it doesn't meet my usual requirement of strictly white pages, I will let this one go for $200.00.

DD159.jpg

DD159a.jpg

Edited by CardiacKid1
Better pics

This next one is particularly special:  Daredevil 161 CGC 9.8 White Pages, WESTERN PENN PEDIGREE!   GPA reflects that I bought this in September 2010 for $263.  Nine years later, I am asking $300 for the opportunity to own this unique pedigree.  Just beautiful . . . 

DD161.jpg

DD161a.jpg

Edited by CardiacKid1
Better pics

So there are certain books in this run that are a lot more difficult to find in newsstand editions than others.  DD 164 is definitely one of them and you will not see this offered for sale very often.   The highs for this book the last three years have ranged from $242 - $335.  I'm asking $250 for this beauty.

DD164.jpg

DD164a.jpg

Edited by CardiacKid1
Better pics

By issue 169, Miller was really hitting his stride on this book.  I was around back then, a young man anxiously awaiting each month's installment of this great series.  The colors on this particular example really pop.  Like almost all the others, CGC 9.8 with White Pages.  Last year's average sale was $365.  The last sale, from this month, was $290 for a direct-sales edition.  Asking $325 for the rarer newsstand here.

DD169.jpg

DD169a.jpg

Edited by CardiacKid1
Better pics

DD 170, CGC 9.8, White Pages.  GPA average for two years running is $202, which obviously includes all of the more common direct-sales editions.  I'll take $200 for this newsstand edition, featuring both the Kingpin and Bullseye.

DD170.jpg

DD170a.jpg

Edited by CardiacKid1
Better pics

Another well-centered, well-wrapped CGC 9.8 with White pages for the discerning Miller collector.  This one has spiked in price, with a 12-month average price of $264 and a last sale in November 2019 of $275.  I'll take $250 for this newsstand edition.

DD172.jpg

DD172a.jpg

Edited by CardiacKid1
Better pics

As I continue to post these, you can see how much attention I paid to the aesthetics of these books.  A majority of these covers are very well-aligned, in terms of wrap and centering.  I spent all of these years looking for the slightest improvements in appearance, which I would consider an "upgrade."  This DD 173 is another example.  There aren't very many better-looking copies than this CGC 9.8 White Pages version.  $200.00.

DD173.jpg

DD173a.jpg

Edited by CardiacKid1
Better pics