• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Black CAT club (Cerebus1, Albedo 2, TMNT1)
7 7

895 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, david20009 said:

It seems prior to today going quite strong the past couple of years.  A CGC 9.6 sold 40 days ago on eBay for 10,000

Agree.  The book has been going strong.

I am not sure if it was the rumors of the animation series. I think it has more to do with all the publicity of Usagi moving over to IDW along with the massive run up in TMNT books as there is a lot of crossover between TMNT fans and Usagi fans.  The print run of 2,000 and the black cover mean there likely are not many copies in 9.8 out in the wild.

I bought the 9.8 today and I was really hoping that it would go for quite a bit less than $31,000 like it did in its last CGC 9.8 sale.  I thought there was a chance of this happening between Covid-19, my personal opinion that the $31,000 price was too strong, and there being a CGC 9.6 copy in the same auction as well.  I was very happy that the previous copy sold for 36% more than what I paid for this copy.

Anyways I am now 1/3 of the way to becoming a member of the club.  Although I doubt I will ever gain membership as while TMNT is neat I don't see myself spending money on acquiring a 1st print and Cerebus was a great read but I only ever read the phone books, I never bought any individual issues other than "0" which I don't think was in the phonebooks. 

Albedo 2.jpg

HOLY MOLY... WHAT A BEAUTY. CONGRATS!!!!

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

HOLY MOLY... WHAT A BEAUTY. CONGRATS!!!!

lol I tagged you earlier to tell you about it haha

my bad, I should have known it was updated here :sumo: my bad!

On 12/31/2019 at 5:56 PM, SpideyFein said:

Great thread, and Happy New Year to All! Let’s hope those for a happy and healthy 2020. Let’s also hope to get those books that we love too! 

Man,  can u imagine going back to this timepoint in December and telling everyone about Covid19.... what a crazy year 2020 has been...

On 5/26/2020 at 8:54 PM, david20009 said:

It seems prior to today going quite strong the past couple of years.  A CGC 9.6 sold 40 days ago on eBay for 10,000

Agree.  The book has been going strong.

I am not sure if it was the rumors of the animation series. I think it has more to do with all the publicity of Usagi moving over to IDW along with the massive run up in TMNT books as there is a lot of crossover between TMNT fans and Usagi fans.  The print run of 2,000 and the black cover mean there likely are not many copies in 9.8 out in the wild.

I bought the 9.8 today and I was really hoping that it would go for quite a bit less than $31,000 like it did in its last CGC 9.8 sale.  I thought there was a chance of this happening between Covid-19, my personal opinion that the $31,000 price was too strong, and there being a CGC 9.6 copy in the same auction as well.  I was very happy that the previous copy sold for 36% more than what I paid for this copy.

Anyways I am now 1/3 of the way to becoming a member of the club.  Although I doubt I will ever gain membership as while TMNT is neat I don't see myself spending money on acquiring a 1st print and Cerebus was a great read but I only ever read the phone books, I never bought any individual issues other than "0" which I don't think was in the phonebooks. 

Albedo 2.jpg

CONGRATS!!! (thumbsu

On 5/27/2020 at 6:19 PM, Stingrayiii said:

On 5/28/2020 at 6:42 PM, Wolverinex said:

It will go higher

It just might because the colors on the Heritage copy appears to be stronger and more solid.  :luhv:

Then again, I guess we really shouldn't be looking at the colors and brightness when it comes to scans from Heritage.  :devil:

On 5/27/2020 at 12:39 PM, Wolverinex said:
On 12/31/2019 at 2:56 PM, SpideyFein said:

Great thread, and Happy New Year to All! Let’s hope those for a happy and healthy 2020. Let’s also hope to get those books that we love too! 

Man,  can u imagine going back to this timepoint in December and telling everyone about Covid19.... what a crazy year 2020 has been...

Yes, definitely a sad and very unfortunate situation with this whole Coronavirus pandemic and yet much of it could have been avoided if government leaders around the world had acted when they first found out about it back in December and January, if not even earlier.  :(

Just take a look at China's neighboring countries like Hong Kong with only 1,094 cases and 4 deaths to date, Taiwan with only 443 cases and 7 deaths to date, or Macao (i.e. China's favorite gambling mecca destination and many times bigger than Vegas) with only 45 cases and no deaths to date.  All of these countries reacted immediately and started social distancing, contact tracing, and mandatory masking of their population as far back as December and early January when they first heard rumours of this deadly virus and from their low numbers, it sure seems to have paid off in comparison to other countries who sadly decided to ignore all of the warnings and waited far too long before taking the necessary action.  (thumbsu

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, definitely a sad and very unfortunate situation with this whole Coronavirus pandemic and yet much of it could have been avoided if government leaders around the world had acted when they first found out about it back in December and January, if not even earlier.  :(

Just take a look at China's neighboring countries like Hong Kong with only 1,094 cases and 4 deaths to date, Taiwan with only 443 cases and 7 deaths to date, or Macao (i.e. China's favorite gambling mecca destination and many times bigger than Vegas) with only 45 cases and no deaths to date.  All of these countries reacted immediately and started social distancing, contact tracing, and mandatory masking of their population as far back as December and early January when they first heard rumours of this deadly virus and from their low numbers, it sure seems to have paid off in comparison to other countries who sadly decided to ignore all of the warnings and waited far too long before taking the necessary action.  (thumbsu

Yes,  Taiwan's response has been superb. 

8 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Yes,  Taiwan's response has been superb. 

Yes, most definitely because even though Taiwan's population is only approaching 24 million citizens as compared to a country like say the USA with 331 million citizens, all I can say is that 443 cases with only 7 Covid-19 related deaths sure sounds a whole ton better than something that's approaching 2 million cases and 110,000 Covid-19 related deaths and still climbing rapidly on a daily basis.  :fear:

Edited by lou_fine

22 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Looks like Albedo 2 and TMNT 1 are cooling.  Anyone know how cerebus 1 is holding up? Can't find much data. 

On 7/10/2020 at 11:51 PM, shortboxed said:
On 7/10/2020 at 10:09 AM, david20009 said:

Turns out my expectations were correct and this copy sold for a bit less than the last. Three of the 10 CGC 9.8 copies trading hands in less than 14 months is a lot of the market to absorb. Also I do not think this is the type of book you sell at Heritage. It is a ComicLink type of book. I think Heritage is better for golden age while ComicLink has the customer base that follow silver age to copper age.

In any event $31,000 (May 28, 2020) to $22,750 (May 27, 2020) to $19,800 (July 9, 2020).

Hopefully the next 9.8 will not come up for sale for another year or two so things can start trending upwards again.

This book has what looks to be a spine tick that you could see when you zoom in on the hi-res image. That alone kept me from bidding on this book, and I assume others may have noticed as well, hence the lower hammer. Otherwise I would have taken it past $20k.