• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Black CAT club (Cerebus1, Albedo 2, TMNT1)
7 7

895 posts in this topic

On 9/8/2020 at 6:50 PM, LDarkseid1 said:
On 9/8/2020 at 5:42 PM, Wolverinex said:

Cerebus 1 9.4 sold for 12.5k so even more!

Yeah that’s the highest graded of only 2 copies so it went for a bit of a premium. In general Albedo 2 in comparable grade to Cerebus 1 is selling for quite a bit more

How can you tell when it seems that the last sales in a specific grade for some of these copies of Cerebus 1 were years ago and prices would have increased substantially since that last sale?  ???

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

How can you tell when it seems that the last sales in a specific grade for some of these copies of Cerebus 1 were years ago and prices would have increased substantially since that last sale?  ???

You are right... The sales are from a long time ago... it will be interesting to see what happens with more recent sales

19 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I don't understand your question. 

My reply was based off Wolverine comparing two books and how they're "currently" selling. His implication was that a Cerebus 1 sale was more impressive due to selling for more than an Albedo 2 in same grade. So, as seen with other books, when rarity plays an element in the top grades I felt that played a factor as to why Cerebus 1 in 9.4 "currently" outsold an Albedo 2 in 9.4. Both are immensely popular Copper Keys and due to Cerebus only having 2 top graded blue label 9.4's, while Albedo has 30 9.4's, 16 9.6's and 10 9.8's, I find the Albedo sale to be more impressive despite selling for less and considering it's supremely more available in those grades. I would surmise that if Albedo 2 was similarly super rare in high grade like Cerebus is, that Albedo 2 9.4 that sold for roughly $2K less likely would have went for more.

27 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:
19 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I don't understand your question. 

My reply was based off Wolverine comparing two books and how they're "currently" selling. His implication was that a Cerebus 1 sale was more impressive due to selling for more than an Albedo 2 in same grade. So, as seen with other books, when rarity plays an element in the top grades I felt that played a factor as to why Cerebus 1 in 9.4 "currently" outsold an Albedo 2 in 9.4. Both are immensely popular Copper Keys and due to Cerebus only having 2 top graded blue label 9.4's, while Albedo has 30 9.4's, 16 9.6's and 10 9.8's, I find the Albedo sale to be more impressive despite selling for less and considering it's supremely more available in those grades. I would surmise that if Albedo 2 was similarly super rare in high grade like Cerebus is, that Albedo 2 9.4 that sold for roughly $2K less likely would have went for more.

That's because I was not just referring to the 2 books only in CGC 9.4 grades, as I was referring more to your general comment below with respect to all comparable grades:

On 9/8/2020 at 6:50 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

In general Albedo 2 in comparable grade to Cerebus 1 is selling for quite a bit more. 

Especially since there appears to be even no recorded sales for Cerebus 1 in CGC 9.2, the last reported sale in CGC 9.0 was all the way back in 2013, etc. which kind of makes it hard to do comparables in equivalent grades from my point of view.  hm (shrug) 

Edited by lou_fine

12 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

That's because I was not just referring to the 2 books only in CGC 9.4 grades, as I was referring more to your general comment below with respect to all comparable grades:

Especially since there appears to be even no recorded sales for Cerebus 1 in CGC 9.2, the last reported sale in CGC 9.0 was all the way back in 2013, etc.  (shrug) 

I meant comparable in general. 5.0's, 5.5's, 6.0's, 6.5's, 7.0's, 7.5's, 8.0's ect.. O.o And you won't ever find any sales in 9.2, there are no blue label copies graded. :grin:

Edited by LDarkseid1

28 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I meant comparable in general. 5.0's, 5.5's, 6.0's, 6.5's, 7.0's, 7.5's, 8.0's ect.. O.o And you won't ever find any sales in 9.2, there are no blue label copies graded. :grin:

39 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Especially since there appears to be even no recorded sales for Cerebus 1 in CGC 9.2, the last reported sale in CGC 9.0 was all the way back in 2013, etc. which kind of makes it hard to do comparables in equivalent grades from my point of view.  hm (shrug) 

I understand that Albedo 2 got insanely hot due to the upcoming netflix show... do you guys know if Dave Sims will ever license  Cerebus? I feel like the early work would make a fantastic animated series...

19 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

do you guys know if Dave Sims will ever license  Cerebus? I feel like the early work would make a fantastic animated series...

His... ummm... "political views" might not be well-received in the 21st century. :whistle:

7 hours ago, valiantman said:

His... ummm... "political views" might not be well-received in the 21st century. :whistle:

But he's Canadian.  All we do is talk about politics, hockey and the weather.

Edit:

Read this too fast - I read political views in general might not be well-received, not HIS political views might not be well-received.  You may have a point there.

Edited by david20009
expanded

It's really a shame Dave lost his mind, it made the home stretch of Cerebus not a lot of fun to read. The once fun letter columns (which were nearly as much of an attraction as the stories themselves) became screeds. Oh well. The art, not the artist, right? Cerebus deserves its spot in the pantheon, it's a great achievement in comic art and storytelling. But one has to wonder how much better that reputation would be sitting if Dave hadn't gone off his nut. Issue 300 should have been met with industry wide fanfare. Instead, it just kinda came, and went, and that was that.

3 hours ago, comiconxion said:

Whatever your feelings on Dave, don't forget his partner till the end of the series, Gerhard.  Anyone that's met Gerhard I think would agree 1) he's super talented and 2) he's one of the nicest creators out there to interact with.  Humble and generous.  

That is absolutely correct.  Totally overshadowed.  

On 9/24/2020 at 9:13 AM, F For Fake said:

It's really a shame Dave lost his mind, it made the home stretch of Cerebus not a lot of fun to read. The once fun letter columns (which were nearly as much of an attraction as the stories themselves) became screeds. Oh well. The art, not the artist, right? Cerebus deserves its spot in the pantheon, it's a great achievement in comic art and storytelling. But one has to wonder how much better that reputation would be sitting if Dave hadn't gone off his nut. Issue 300 should have been met with industry wide fanfare. Instead, it just kinda came, and went, and that was that.

People can agree or disagree with what he said, or even not really have read it but judge it anyways... which I think happens a lot, but I interpret some of those stories as Dave, at that time, seeing that societal pendulum as swinging towards a greater emphasis on feminine values.    I don't know how anyone can argue that he wasn't entirely right in that respect if you look back at the last thirty years.    I'm not so sure its what he said so much as how he said it that people have a problem with, but ultimately he was more right than wrong about the shift in societal direction (obviously for purposes of the story he took it to extremes but that's why its called fiction).     We get taught in grade school that how you say something is sometimes more important than what you say - Dave perhaps didn't catch on to that, or perhaps didn't care, but the core of what he said - that, on the balance, men argue with reason and women argue with emotion and that emotion beats reasons every time - is something that should be obvious to every man who's ever asked his wife a question (let's say, "honey why did you spend $700 at the store?") and had a response along the lines of "don't you love me anymore?".    The response isn't even attempting to use logic.   The response is all emotion.     Men do that too, but on the balance, women do it more and that's as obvious as night and day. 

Edited by Bronty

Thanks!

Yep, Matt was at HeroesCon back in, like, 2007 or 2008, and I had him autograph that as well as the 3 issues of the original series. (#1 sig is on the inside)  I bought that at some local Con a few years prior to that for about $75 and had it graded as NM.  Definitely didn't think I was sitting on a 9.8, so I feel pretty stupid for not getting it certified.  At the time I was just really excited to meet Matt and get the signatures.  Thought that dealing with CGC would have been too much of a hassle. Oops.  I ended up getting it graded in 2018 once I finally got my own account.

The Albedo and TMNT were both ebay purchases in 2007... $770 for the TMNT and $350 for the Albedo.  How times have changed!

TMNT was a slabbed 9.0... I sent it in to see if the resto (small amount of color touch on the front cover) could be removed a couple of years ago, but it couldn't.  Got a tiny bump though, so I can't complain too much.  Or at all, really!  Peter Laird as at the same show as Matt, and I had him sign the original slab...  

Albedo was a raw VF, and I had that graded in the same batch as the Primer.  Stan was at Heroes last year, and I got him to sign that hardcover collection that came out a while back instead of this... was too afraid to crack the Albedo, b/c I feel pretty lucky with a 9.0 on that one.

1-VF+.jpg

2-VF.jpg

3-VF-.jpg

Edited by Schmakt