• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Black CAT club (Cerebus1, Albedo 2, TMNT1)
7 7

895 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:
On 2/14/2021 at 11:38 AM, Stingrayiii said:

Lets go for $27,000. That is my guess now.

Cerebus 1 9.4 just sold for $29,130 on comiclink! 

Due to the lack of historical sales, I guess I would have to say that this is a FAIR price for the book, but not necessarily a strong price given prices that we have seen for TMNT 1 and especially Albedo 2.  (thumbsu

Just checked GoCollect and it looks like their FMV for a Cerebus 1 in CGC 9.4 is at only $18K, while their hypothetical value for one in CGC 9.8 if it does exist is at $29K.  hm

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Due to the lack of historical sales, I guess I would have to say that this is a FAIR price for the book, but not necessarily a strong price given prices that we have seen for TMNT 1 and especially Albedo 2.  (thumbsu

Just checked GoCollect and it looks like their FMV for a Cerebus 1 in CGC 9.4 is at only $18K, while their hypothetical value for one in CGC 9.8 if it does exist is at $29K.  hm

So what do you think is a strong price for a 9.4 Cerebus 1 ?  Btw, what are the  comparable prices for a counterpart Albedo 2 and TMNT 1 first print?  

11 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

So what do you think is a strong price for a 9.4 Cerebus 1 ?  Btw, what are the  comparable prices for a counterpart Albedo 2 and TMNT 1 first print?  

The only reason why I placed such a high bid on the 9.4 Cerebus 1 is because I recently sold my 9.2 sig series copy and wanted to replace it.  I was hoping to get the 9.4 signed by Dave and then keep the book in my permanent collection.

But my bid didn't even matter because at least two bidders topped my high bid.

1 minute ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

The only reason why I placed such a high bid on the 9.4 Cerebus 1 is because I recently sold my 9.2 sig series copy and wanted to replace it.  I was hoping to get the 9.4 signed by Dave and then keep the book in my permanent collection.

But my bid didn't even matter because at least two bidders topped my high bid.

Dang man.  Yeah, when I saw your bid, I was sure you had won it.  The run from 11k to 29k in the last hour was crazy. 

Are you open to lower grades?  I'll shoot you a message if I see another pop up on the market.  I've been trying to track them for a friend who dying to get a mid grade copy.  

1 hour ago, GoldenAgeAddict said:

The 9.0 Albedo 2 went for $7100.   I won one on CLink in the same grade for $3600 in November 2019

Congrats, you’ve basically doubled your money in a year and a half ^^

There’s a restored 6.0 up and even that’s going for relatively high price. Netflix hype or pandemic bump?

I’ve been collecting Usagi monthly since I was 9 and have been putting off getting this book and now it looks like it might start slipping away. I won’t be a member of this club because I’m not interested in the C, but I’m glad I got my TMNT back when I did. I paid as much to have it pressed/graded with cgc than I did on the book itself.

1 hour ago, GoldenAgeAddict said:

ComicLink

Thanks!

For some reason it wasn't showing up for me there, but I see it now.

I'll be curious what it goes for. Mine is an 8.5 with C-1, so slightly less color touch, and higher grade, but same basic idea.

I think on mine it's just two small dots of CT, honestly I can't see anything. But because it's listed as C amateur, I suspect it was done with a marker and there's some small bleed through. I bought it slabbed so I haven't been able to check, and the notes don't say, but I suspect it's not resto that can be reversed. 

I'm guessing with a C-2 the same is true of this one, so if someone is thinking of buying and removing the resto to flip it as an unrestored, I'm not sure that will work. But what do I know!

10 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

Thanks!

For some reason it wasn't showing up for me there, but I see it now.

I'll be curious what it goes for. Mine is an 8.5 with C-1, so slightly less color touch, and higher grade, but same basic idea.

I think on mine it's just two small dots of CT, honestly I can't see anything. But because it's listed as C amateur, I suspect it was done with a marker and there's some small bleed through. I bought it slabbed so I haven't been able to check, and the notes don't say, but I suspect it's not resto that can be reversed. 

I'm guessing with a C-2 the same is true of this one, so if someone is thinking of buying and removing the resto to flip it as an unrestored, I'm not sure that will work. But what do I know!

Let us know!

On 2/24/2021 at 5:00 AM, Wolverinex said:

I guess it really depends on what you mean by comparable prices here?  hm

If you are talking about simply comparing the $29K+ result for this CGC 9.4 graded copy of Cerebus 1 to sales of CGC 9.4 graded copies of Albedo 2 and TMNT 1, then are you not really comparing apples to oranges in a sense here?  Especially since this is 1 of 2 of the highest graded Universal copies of Cerebus 1 (save for 1 CGC 9.6 Signature copy), while there are 39 copies of Albedo 2 already slabbed in higher graded condition plus another 38 copies in equivalent 9.4 graded condition.  Let's not even talk about TMNT 1 where there are 88 copies already slabbed in higher graded condition plus a further 88 copies in the same equivalent 9.4 graded condition.  :whatthe:

So, I would have to say although the Cerebus 1 at $29,130 would indeed seem like an astounding result at first glance, it might not necessarily be so if you think of it in terms of its relative ranking within the condition spectrum for all 3 books.  hm  (shrug)

I agree with your reasoning but that price is still pretty impressive when you consider Cerebus isn’t nearly as popular as the TMNT. It also explains why there are a lot less copies graded. TMNT is so pervasive in pop culture now I’m surprised the first issue doesn’t sell for even more. Especially when Pokémon cards are selling for 6 digits.