• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Black CAT club (Cerebus1, Albedo 2, TMNT1)
7 7

895 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ectocooler said:

I agree with your reasoning but that price is still pretty impressive when you consider Cerebus isn’t nearly as popular as the TMNT. It also explains why there are a lot less copies graded. TMNT is so pervasive in pop culture now I’m surprised the first issue doesn’t sell for even more. Especially when Pokémon cards are selling for 6 digits.

Well, I believe the other reason why there are far fewer copies of Cerebus graded is that the entire 2,000 print run was printed like with Sim personally going through the entire print run to pull out whatever nice copies that were in there for his own personal collection.  This would definitely discourage collectors from sending them in for grading and slabbing because as we all know, submittors always tend to prefer sending in nicer copies of their books in order to get a bigger bang for their grading expenses.  hm  :(

With respect to TMNT 1, I believe there is a much much higher proportion in uber high grade due to the fact that a good portion of them didn't go out through the regular distribution system and were held back by Eastman and Laird for subsequent sale direct from Mirage.  I remember one of my LCS owners asking me back in the day if I was interested in ordering a TMNT 1 for $300 because he had just received one direct from Mirage for one of his customers.  Needless to say, being a mainstream comic book collector, I was no fool and immediately handed the book back to him after seeing that fugly doggy doo doo artwork inside.  :fear: doh!

57 minutes ago, ectocooler said:

Wow, was that $300 back in the mid 80s or was it a few years later? Cool info thanks for that.

I would assume that would be around the mid to latter part of the 80's whenever the signed and limited number edition of the Dark Knight book by Frank Miller came out. hm

And if I remember correctly, that was also at a time when the TMNT had never yet hit the $300 mark and was in fact dropping down in value in the Overstreet guide in those early first several years.  :p

Like I said, being really more of a mainstream comic book collector, I was much more into the Miller Daredevil and Batman Year One books which I thought was simply amazing and also being the El Cheapo that I am, ended up ordering the Limited Edition of the Miller Dark Knight book for $40 big ones instead, and which I am sure is worth no more than that some 30+ long years later.  :cloud9:  :facepalm:

Edited by lou_fine

Haha you can’t beat yourself up, hindsight is 20/20 and all that. The internet said that’s $665 today accounting for inflation (I used 1988). Even if you bought it it would’ve required you not flipping it too early too. Prices were high 10 years ago but nothing close to now. I wonder what they’ll be in 10 years.

11 hours ago, Stingrayiii said:

So the real question, which one has more value Cerebus #1 or Hulk #181. Hahaha. Let the debate begin! Where is that old thread again?

Lol,  it was in the hulk 181 heating up thread.  

Obviously,  a 9.4 cerebus 1 is more expensive then a hulk 181 9.4. However,  would a 9.8 cerebus 1 be more expensive than a 9.8 hulk 181?

hm

On 2/26/2021 at 5:22 AM, Wolverinex said:

Obviously,  a 9.4 cerebus 1 is more expensive then a hulk 181 9.4. However,  would a 9.8 cerebus 1 be more expensive than a 9.8 hulk 181?

hm

Sadly, one that we'll most likely never ever get the answer to because I highly dount that you will ever see a CGC 9.8 graded copy of Cereus 1 due to the absolutely poor printing quality for that entire 2,000 print run.  :(

Then again, I guess anything's possible given CGC's ongoing changes to their undisclosed grading standards over time, coupled with their inconsistencies in grading at times.  hm  :p

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Sadly, one that we'll most likely never ever get the answer to because I highly dount that you will ever see a CGC 9.8 graded copy of Cereus 1 due to the absolutely poor printing quality for that entire 2,000 print run.  :(

Then again, I guess anything's possible given CGC's ongoing changes to their undisclosed grading standards over time, coupled with their inconsistencies in grading at times.  hm  :p

I'm sure a cerebus 1 9.8 (if one ever shows up) would def reach Hulk 181 9.8 levels...