• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Black CAT club (Cerebus1, Albedo 2, TMNT1)
7 7

895 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, hirtlocker128 said:

Wow thats incredible. Did it sell on eBay? I saw the listing ended but didn't think it sold

Owner took it private after someone contacted him.  It will  show back up if it falls through.  It will  be interesting when the next one shows up on the market. 

11 hours ago, Cheetahs Neverprosper said:

Oh I only wish I'd been smart enough to buy a Cerebus #1 back in the day.  :frown:

I only wish I'd been smart enough to not sell my Cerebus 1s. And Albedo 2. And TMNT 1 second prints. And TMNT 1 third prints...

3 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:
9 minutes ago, october said:

Might be time to sell one. 

20210304_140052.jpg

Expand  

Wow!  make it so...  Beautiful copies. Let us know how it goes!

Yes, indeed.  :luhv:

Hard to tell without a close up pic of the books, but do both of those copies have the tell tale spine ticks that seems to be the common defect going through all of the Cerebus 1 books?  hm  :wishluck:

On 12/30/2019 at 2:12 AM, Wolverinex said:

Yes, I'll start by saying I know Cerebus 1 is bronze age but I wasn't sure which forum to place this thread.

Members of this elite club own genuine, 1st print copies of

Cerebus 1 (1st Appearance of Cerebus, marks the rise of Independent comics),

Albedo 2  (1st Appearance of Usagi Yojimbo)

TMNT 1 (1st Appearance of the TMNT)

All 3 of these books are major independent keys in their own right.  All are becoming more valuable and rare to pick up. They feature beautiful black covers that display their title character so there is NO ambiguity that these books represent their first appearance (like the Hulk 180 vs 181 debate).    Due to their  respective low print run, I rarely see any of these at conventions much less all 3.  What would be the cheapest price to pick up all 3 books?  Would it be possible to buy all 3 for under 5k?  10k?

I've met two major comic collectors in my area ( over 18k) comics and neither one owns all 3 of these keys. I don't own all 3 yet but it's my dream to own all especially if I hit the lottery!   Are any of our resident comic  aficionados already members?  If so please show them off here! 

@valiantman @RockMyAmadeus @greggy@GoldenAgeAddict@Ryan. @Turtle@SpideyFein

Also, feel free to tag anyone else you may have a shot to a member.  

It doesn't get rarer then this cover art proof that was done before Albedo 2 was printed. The original mock up cover art. I’d be willing to sell...

A98A9679-2671-411A-9EDE-EF6EB36C99BD.jpeg

7 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

@B2D327  Aren't you glad you got that Cerebus 1 now?  I think I remember you winning one a few months ago..

Of course. I jumped on it within seconds of @Ryan. posting it in the g/s/b selling thread almost a year ago (January 27,2020 to be exact). Was a book I’d been wanting since I was a teen in high school....and it seems to be on fire now :banana:

Edited by B2D327
Tag

26 minutes ago, Kalel38 said:

It doesn't get rarer then this cover art proof that was done before Albedo 2 was printed. The original mock up cover art. I’d be willing to sell...

That's awesome.  I had to sell my Albedo 2 but I at least still have my cover art proof.

Here's some info I found years ago about the proofs:

The Real Story About the Cover of Albedo #2
Have you ever wondered if the cover to Albedo #2 could have looked a little better?  Well, wonder no more... it could have!

According to Stan, Steve Gallacci's original intention was to hand-silkscreen the covers as a seven-color print-- a monumental task when you consider that each color requires a separate screen and a separate pass (by hand) with a printing squeegee (And printing on paper is a lot more troublesome than printing on cloth, such as t-shirt material, which absorbs the ink and speeds up drying time).

It's not certain how many Steve actually printed before coming to his senses, but he gave Stan several copies of them. These "serigraph" covers were never used as such, but Stan say's they're pretty neat!

Post by Stan Sakai » Wed Nov 17, 2004
  Not much more is known about them than what is posted on the link. Steve Gallacci was working at or had access to a t-shirt printer at that time. Actually, I think he hand screened it. He was doing a few t-shirts about that time and selling them at science fiction conventions in the Pacific Northwest. He had the great idea (or a brain hemorrhage) to silk screen the covers to Albedo #2. Each color and tone would require a separate screen, and each screen would have to be registered so the colors would not overlap or create white spaces, and the printing would be done by hand without the paper moving.  It was to have been at least a 7 color print ( I actually think he told me it was 11 colors, counting the back).
His ambition was to print all 2500 copies this way. He did about a dozen or so, realized the enormity of this task, and gave up. He gave me a few of those covers, not all the colors were printed on them though. They're somewhere in the quagmire of my studio or garage.
He used a very heavy plastic-based ink, on very thick card-stock paper. If I remember them correctly, they were really quite nice... suitable for framing.

I vaguely remember reading that some of the few existing ones were destroyed by a water leak in someone's basement.  Stan's possibly?  Or Gallacci?  I'm not sure and I can't find any sign of where I read it.

Albedo2_Silkscreen.jpg