• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Black CAT club (Cerebus1, Albedo 2, TMNT1)
7 7

895 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, october said:

Albedo is a 7.5 or so. A board member got it cheap on eBay ($160 I think) and sold it to me at cost because he knew I wanted one. Great guy. That was over a decade ago though. The TMNT I bought from a person I met on eBay. He was the OO and bought it off the stands. It's probably a 9.0 after a press. The Cerebus I got from another boardie, and it has a Dave Sim auto and "congrats, this is an authentic Cerebus 1" note on the inside cover. It's maybe a 7.0. The Bone 1 and the NEC are NM, the Lantern is midgrade. 

99.9% of my collection is raw. I don't particularly like slabs. 

Edit: maybe they are better. Just took them out and all three are pretty nice. 

001 (145).jpg

001 (217).jpg

001 (22).jpg

That cerebus 1 could hit an 8.0 imo, unless there is something bad on the back. Agree with 7.5 on the Albedo. tmnt 8.5-9.0

On 1/2/2020 at 6:28 PM, Wolverinex said:
On 1/2/2020 at 3:17 PM, valiantman said:

Since I got tagged in the first post, I can say that I've never owned Cerebus 1 or Albedo 2, but I suppose I could sell my TMNT #1 for enough money to get (at least) mid-grade copies of all three. hm

(But I won't.) lol

9.8?

It's a 9.6, but it would be pretty easy to "downgrade" and pick up Cerebus 1, Albedo 2, and TMNT #1 in CGC 9.0, with money left over.  (I already have a 9.6 Bone #1, so that base is also covered.) (thumbsu

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

It's a 9.6, but it would be pretty easy to "downgrade" and pick up Cerebus 1, Albedo 2, and TMNT #1 in CGC 9.0, with money left over.  (I already have a 9.6 Bone #1, so that base is also covered.) (thumbsu

huh.  more 9.0 cerebus 1's on the census than I would have guessed

Edited by Bronty

Since there's are only 2000 copies of Cerebus and Albedo 2, I guess the maximum number of people in the club is 2000?    However, given proclivities of collectors buying extra copies (ie @GoldenAgeAddict with his 5 Albedo 2s), how many people in the world do you think could realistically own all 3?  A few hundred?  @valiantman  you are always great with stats, any thoughts? 

34 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Since there's are only 2000 copies of Cerebus and Albedo 2, I guess the maximum number of people in the club is 2000?    However, given proclivities of collectors buying extra copies (ie @GoldenAgeAddict with his 5 Albedo 2s), how many people in the world do you think could realistically own all 3?  A few hundred?  @valiantman  you are always great with stats, any thoughts? 

That's an interesting question because I have never seen these three books "put together" as some kind of a set/goal for collectors.  So, our "theoretical how many people" could own all 3 is quite different than the "theoretical how many people" would want to own all 3.

While hundreds certainly could own all three, I would doubt that more than a few dozen would also want to own all 3.  With that may copies printed, just a few dozen collectors easily could own all 3, if they want to.

There's not a scenario were I see a few hundred actual collectors wanting to own all 3.  As an owner of TMNT #1, my "set goal" consists of TMNT #2-#4, then possibly Raphael, and other TMNT books... and it would be a long time before I considered "including" Albedo 2 or Cerebus 1.  Albedo 2 collectors probably also want Albedo 3, Usagi 1, etc., and don't particularly care about TMNT #1 or Cerebus #1 (but if they want one of those, they might not want both).

Edited by valiantman

Great thoughts, Valiantman.  I just in a Facebook comic chat a few months ago where the members were chatting about hunting early rare independent appearances with known counterfeits. These first appearances were three that came up often. 

Edited by Wolverinex

5 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

Not mine, sadly. The best I can offer are a 2nd print TMNT and counterfeit Cerebus. 

Still nothing to sneeze at... how did u obtain the counterfeit Cerebus 1? Pretty cool comic in its own right. Origin still shrouded in mystery.  Did Dave Sims ever reveal who created them?

I agree with Valiantman.  I also have 4 copies of Albedo 4 and I have the full run of Usagi appearances (Albedo, Critters, all UY series, etc).  However, I have never given a thought to TNMT apart from Usagi appearances.  I want to read Cerebus, but will do so via the phone books rather than the individual issues

A lot of collectors have been priced out of Albedo 2.   The 6ish issues on ebay have been sitting for a while.  As I said in a previous post, I would like to own an Albedo 2 9.8, but at $30k, that is way out of my range for that issue.  

I've only owned tmnt #1 and albedo 2. The TMNT 1 CGC 8.5 I acquired in early 2014 from these boards and still have it. The Albedo 2 was a $5 box find at a con in the '90s, but sadly I sold it in 2003, never to have another (yet). The only Cerebus 1 I've ever owned was a counterfeit copy. Props to all who own all 3 books!

16 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Great thoughts, Valiantman.  I just in a Facebook comic chat a few months ago where the members were chatting about hunting early rare independent appearances with known counterfeits. These first appearances were three that came up often. 

Speaking of counterfeits, and the fact that Cerebus is arguably not Copper (arguably not even close to Copper), you could substitute the "C" in "CAT" for "Cry For Dawn #1" since there are counterfeits of CFD #1 and it is Copper, but you'd lose the "black" part of "black CAT" since it's a blue book, but you know what else is Copper and blue?  Bone #1.  There aren't any counterfeit Bone #1, that I know of, but there are at least 9 printings before the trade reprints started so it's basically unparalleled in the Copper Age for multiple printings (unless you want to count graphic novels/trades (and we don't (yet))). :foryou: