• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Black CAT club (Cerebus1, Albedo 2, TMNT1)
7 7

895 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Schmakt said:

Thanks!

Yep, Matt was at HeroesCon back in, like, 2007 or 2008, and I had him autograph that as well as the 3 issues of the original series. (#1 sig is on the inside)  I bought that at some local Con a few years prior to that for about $75 and had it graded as NM.  Definitely didn't think I was sitting on a 9.8, so I feel pretty stupid for not getting it certified.  At the time I was just really excited to meet Matt and get the signatures.  Thought that dealing with CGC would have been too much of a hassle. Oops.  I ended up getting it graded in 2018 once I finally got my own account.

The Albedo and TMNT were both ebay purchases in 2007... $770 for the TMNT and $350 for the Albedo.  How times have changed!

TMNT was a slabbed 9.0... I sent it in to see if the resto (small amount of color touch on the front cover) could be removed a couple of years ago, but it couldn't.  Got a tiny bump though, so I can't complain too much.  Or at all, really!  Peter Laird as at the same show as Matt, and I had him sign the original slab...  

Albedo was a raw VF, and I had that graded in the same batch as the Primer.  Stan was at Heroes last year, and I got him to sign that hardcover collection that came out a while back instead of this... was too afraid to crack the Albedo, b/c I feel pretty lucky with a 9.0 on that one.

Awesome, a 9.8 on 1st app of Grendel is nothing to sneeze at though :whatthe: Awesome Experience!

Side note, the Crow #1 is breaking barriers of it's own @Wolverinex would have been nice to make that a "cat" club too :x 

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Awesome, a 9.8 on 1st app of Grendel is nothing to sneeze at though :whatthe: Awesome Experience!

Side note, the Crow #1 is breaking barriers of it's own @Wolverinex would have been nice to make that a "cat" club too :x 

Yes, it's crazy that Crow 1 has shot up so much these last few months.  Is there any movie news?  What's driving the uptick?  

4 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Yes, it's crazy that Crow 1 has shot up so much these last few months.  Is there any movie news?  What's driving the uptick?  

I think it was the news of Momoa once upon a time, and then perhaps after that movie news was cancelled, it at least got the info out about the book: how few are available or something?

That's the only thing I can think, and I justify my opinion by looking at Caliber Presents the 1st appearance has gone up but by smaller margins.....

Otherwise I just don't know lol(shrug) 

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Wow... was the print run on that much smaller than the 1st appearance?  I don't have a #1, but I can join *that* cat club if we use Presents! :)

(Another small Con purchase)

1-CGCNM.jpg

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think it was the news of Momoa once upon a time, and then perhaps after that movie news was cancelled, it at least got the info out about the book: how few are available or something?

That's the only thing I can think, and I justify my opinion by looking at Caliber Presents the 1st appearance has gone up but by smaller margins.....

Otherwise I just don't know lol(shrug) 

The cover to #1 is about a million times cooler than Presents too...

3 minutes ago, Schmakt said:

The cover to #1 is about a million times cooler than Presents too...

Definitely, and the book is devoted fully to the crow with a full complete story, it's getting there. I'll never own, I don't think I can afford albedo, cerebus, or tmnt.

I do have caliber and the crow #1&2

24 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Definitely, and the book is devoted fully to the crow with a full complete story, it's getting there. I'll never own, I don't think I can afford albedo, cerebus, or tmnt.

I do have caliber and the crow #1&2

I hear you. I feel *very* lucky to have gotten those when I did. I remember getting up really early to watch that TMNT auction close. At the time that was, by far, the most I'd ever spent on a single book, and I was pretty scared about it!

Is that Crow series a single story, or is each issue self-contained?

Just now, Schmakt said:

I hear you. I feel *very* lucky to have gotten those when I did. I remember getting up really early to watch that TMNT auction close. At the time that was, by far, the most I'd ever spent on a single book, and I was pretty scared about it!

I'm not totally positive, I want to say caliber is a single story, but the Crow #1 is a self contained one, but then goes on to #2,3&4

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
5 minutes ago, Schmakt said:

I'm not totally positive, I want to say caliber is a single story, but the Crow #1 is a self contained one, but then goes on to #2,3&4

Upon searching, it appears that none are just "to be continue", that they may all be "self-contained", but they do build on each other in normal succession :) that's my current understanding lol 

Auction on  a genuine Cerebus 1 5.0 if anyone is interested. My buddy messaged me about this book which started low.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cerebus-1-CGC-5-0-Ultra-rare-comic-Key-Independent-comic/264887751950?hash=item3dac8a550e:g:jIsAAOSwvUdfb8ai

Edited by Wolverinex

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

@LDarkseid1@ghn999 @Ryan.

Cerebus 1 5.0  Cream-OW ended at $1150... pretty strong ending... rising compared to recent prior sales. 

Yeah that’s solid indeed. Not surprised though I guess. TMNT got hot, Albedo 2 got hot, made sense Cerebus 1 was next in line. However there’s a 6.5 sitting at $1600 best offer and a 6.0 sitting at $1500 best offer. I think if we see those move will be another indicator of increased interest. If they sit, then 5.0 was just an outlier nice sale.

Edited by LDarkseid1

19 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

@LDarkseid1@ghn999 @Ryan.

Cerebus 1 5.0  Cream-OW ended at $1150... pretty strong ending... rising compared to recent prior sales. 

Interesting. As always, looks like I sold my copies too early. 

Curious to see if mid grade Crow 1s start hitting this price point. 

13 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Interesting. As always, looks like I sold my copies too early. 

Curious to see if mid grade Crow 1s start hitting this price point. 

Last I saw it was near $1000 for VF

That would be a dream on only fine condition

Yet caliber presents #1 still remains hm

Even with kind of lowish census numbers compared to ASM 300 cointanly

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Last I saw it was near $1000 for VF

That would be a dream on only fine condition

Yet caliber presents #1 still remains hm

Even with kind of lowish census numbers compared to ASM 300 cointanly

I think the higher print run and the putrid cover of Caliber Presents 1 is keeping the value down. I've owned several copies over the years and I never have interest in keeping that book around. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I think the higher print run and the putrid cover of Caliber Presents 1 is keeping the value down. I've owned several copies over the years and I never have interest in keeping that book around. 

I figured the print run was higher, but was surprised by totals in the census.

Does the back cover of it make up for the front? lol

10 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

When did you sell and what grade?

Let's see, I sold a raw mid grade copy signed by Sim in January for about $500, and a graded 6.5 in December 2018 for $600. Looks like I also owned a graded 6.0 in 2015 but I think I moved that in a large trade.