• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Black CAT club (Cerebus1, Albedo 2, TMNT1)
7 7

895 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Let's see, I sold a raw mid grade copy signed by Sim in January for about $500, and a graded 6.5 in December 2018 for $600. Looks like I also owned a graded 6.0 in 2015 but I think I moved that in a large trade. 

As long as you made money. That's all that matters.

On 12/1/2020 at 7:14 AM, SuperBird said:
On 11/30/2020 at 8:07 PM, Wolverinex said:

I know,its very undervalued compared to TMNT 1 and Albedo 2

TMNT's value is justified. I never really understood the valuation on Albedo 2. 

I agree.

Once the prices get above $5,000, there should be a large number of people who can answer the question "Who is this character?"

For TMNT #1, there are probably a billion people who can answer correctly.

For Albedo #2 or Cerebus #1, there might be a million people who know those characters. 

That's a difference of about 999,000,000 people... so TMNT #1 makes sense and Albedo #2 is a bit of mystery.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

I agree.

Once the prices get above $5,000, there should be a large number of people who can answer the question "Who is this character?"

For TMNT #1, there are probably a billion people who can answer correctly.

For Albedo #2 or Cerebus #1, there might be a million people who know those characters. 

That's a difference of about 999,000,000 people... so TMNT #1 makes sense and Albedo #2 is a bit of mystery.

I agree as well. And I LOVE Cerebus, or, I did, up to a point. TMNT is a decades long media juggernaut, that continues to produce toys, films, etc. Usagi Yojimbo, while certainly not on that level, still has some current visibility, which will only increase when the Netflix show hits. But Cerebus? Cerebus hasn't been popular for 20 years, or more. Definitely seems like a book that is propped up by the relatively low print run and feeling that it is valuable because...it is valuable. And, again, former huge Cerebus fan here. But I could never justify spending what the book commands these days. Whereas TMNT and Usagi seem like a valid investment.

12 hours ago, Stingrayiii said:

I'm the guilty party....:x

There were 2 7.5s on eBay as of yesterday, and when I couldn't get the owner of the $2500 copy to budge, I won this one at auction. The $2500 copy is now gone as well...

1 minute ago, SuperBird said:

I justified it by selling a bunch of other books, so in my mind, IT'S JUSTIFIED. :)

Hey, if you want it and love it, that's all the justification you need! I'd like to have one, I just can't pull the trigger at the current prices. I nearly pulled the trigger on a copy at a Cinci con about four years ago or so. Had it in my hand. Very sharp copy. $2k. Couldn't do it. Probably should have!

1 minute ago, F For Fake said:

Hey, if you want it and love it, that's all the justification you need! I'd like to have one, I just can't pull the trigger at the current prices. I nearly pulled the trigger on a copy at a Cinci con about four years ago or so. Had it in my hand. Very sharp copy. $2k. Couldn't do it. Probably should have!

It was my favorite book up until 200 or so. I waffled for years on buying a #1, but couldn't justify it at the price, 20 years ago, of $500 or so. Then I was like you: "this seems like a poor investment, who will ever want this, etc.?"

But, it's my favorite, I'll probably never sell it, it's going bananas the last 6 months, there are literally no other copies available at $2k or under (someone hoovered up all of them this year) and I currently have the funds, so... 

18 hours ago, SuperBird said:

It was my favorite book up until 200 or so. I waffled for years on buying a #1, but couldn't justify it at the price, 20 years ago, of $500 or so. Then I was like you: "this seems like a poor investment, who will ever want this, etc.?"

But, it's my favorite, I'll probably never sell it, it's going bananas the last 6 months, there are literally no other copies available at $2k or under (someone hoovered up all of them this year) and I currently have the funds, so... 

I totally get it. Like you, I loved the book up until around that same point, about 200. I stuck the whole run out, up through 300, and then into the after-Cerebus series, but my enjoyment dropped a great deal after that initial point. Don't want to get into the political weeds, but suffice to say that Dave made the book less easy to enjoy, for me personally. Still an amazing cartoonist though. Congrats on your book, it's very, very cool!

It's really shocking to me how Sim always planned to run for 300 issues, but later admitted he had no plans on what was going to happen after 200. Kudos to you for sticking it out. I think I made it as far as 265 or so, at which point it just went completely off the rails in terms of readability. 

Meanwhile, The Savage Dragon is still on track to beat Sim's record for longest running comic under 1 creator, now in the 250s... 

3 hours ago, SuperBird said:

Meanwhile, The Savage Dragon is still on track to beat Sim's record for longest running comic under 1 creator, now in the 250s... 

Yeeeessss! SD has gone all over the place sometimes, but I still love it... largely because Erik also seems to still be creating it with love.

On 12/8/2020 at 3:03 PM, SuperBird said:

Beautiful book!  Please share with us when you get it in person.  Do u own a TMNT 1 or Albedo?

On 12/8/2020 at 2:51 PM, SuperBird said:

I'm the guilty party....:x

There were 2 7.5s on eBay as of yesterday, and when I couldn't get the owner of the $2500 copy to budge, I won this one at auction. The $2500 copy is now gone as well...

Is there really only 1 copy of cerebus 1 on ebay now?  I only see an 8.0 for 5k!

Edited by Wolverinex

28 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Beautiful book!  Please share with us when you get it in person.  Do u own a TMNT 1 or Albedo?

Will do! I have a 2nd print TMNT 1, which... probably doesn't count. I've never owned an Albedo 2, though at one point I owned all the others. #2 was always crazy expensive (comparably), even back in the 80s, and I was never a big enough Usagi fan to justify it.