• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thundercats

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I recently just sent in a Thundercats collection #1-24 to have Graded/Encapsulated by CGC.  I just received these comics back and noticed that they were all first prints except for my Thundercats #1 issue which was labeled as a 3rd print indicated per CGC. I guess my question of concern is...how can issue #1 be a 3rd print when the print date was 12/85 and all my other issues (#2-24) which first prints dated after 12/85?....wouldn't that make issue #1 a first print?....did CGC make an error?....why would they do 2nd/3rd prints within the same year as the 1st print?...wouldn't they do that a few years later?

*I would also like some advice as to how I can tell the difference between 1st/2nd/3rd prints...would it state this on the inside cover near the print date? I thought I had gone through these thoroughly but perhaps I missed it. Thanks in advance if someone can clear this up for me.

Thanks!

On 12/29/2019 at 8:13 PM, ISureAm said:

Not sure what you're thinking of, but if a book gets a 2nd print it's because the first print sold out so quickly. To capitalize on this they need to get the 2nd print out ASAP. Then if the 2nd print sells the 3rd print needs to get out ASAP. Any books printed "a few years later" are just regular reprints.

Usually you can tell the print by the indicia (the small print on the inside cover or first page). Just Google comic print identification, there's lots of info guides out there.

Bingo bang-o.

On 12/29/2019 at 8:13 PM, ISureAm said:

Not sure what you're thinking of, but if a book gets a 2nd print it's because the first print sold out so quickly. To capitalize on this they need to get the 2nd print out ASAP. Then if the 2nd print sells the 3rd print needs to get out ASAP. Any books printed "a few years later" are just regular reprints.

I was wondering this on a different issue (pun intended). What if the second print was printed in 1/86? Would it still say 12/85 on the label? I'm asking in reference to Secret Wars #1 (1984). I managed to pick up a second print and was trying to figure out the publication date of the second print. Both say 5/84 on the cover. 2nd prints of SW#1 are rare.