• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Married Centerfold and Restoration

7 posts in this topic

This is something that is somewhat ambiguous. I have seen it where a "married" cover or centerfold are not considered such if they are not actually attached. In other words, they came from separate books, but since no attempt was made to actually join (marry) them, then it is not considered married.

Also, I have seen examples of blue label books with married CF or cover.

With those things in mind, I have the following dilemma. I have a Batman 25, CGC .5 incomplete missing centerfold. In my opinion, with CF intact its a 2.5 or so (after pressing away the roll). I also have a Batman 25, coverless, missing first wrap. What I want to do is stick the CF in the one book, of course. So far I have tried just selling them as a pair, and it doesnt get the engagement I want. I dont mind if the label says married, though if it doesnt that is obviously better, but the market hates green labels. I want a blue label and a more reasonable grade (1.8-2.5).

What are my chances?

Batman 25.jpg

I would marry the centerfold, but not bother with pressing or resubmitting, and sell as a raw 1.8/2.0 with a married centerfold (I'm not sure it would get a 2.5 pressed with the edge chipping). You would probably realize the same net, or better,  as you would after paying for pressing and grading, and you wouldn't have to wait months. It's a book worth a few hundred either way, and I've found lower grade books in that price range with married elements or slight restoration are often easier to sell raw than slabbed, as the market for them isn't particularly interested in having them encapsulated anyway. 

Just answering your question, if you marry pages or a cover - and no other qualifying or restoration work is done - you are going to get a green, Qualified label.  BTW - if you send the book in missing the centerfold you will also get a Green, Qualified label. 

You can ask for a blue, universal label.  But in both cases - married or missing the centerfold - the book is incomplete and you are going to get .5. There are no other options.  You CANNOT get from CGC a 2.0'ish  BLUE LABEL grade with a book missing the centerfold or married with a centerfold from another comic. 

From that place that moved to Texas, you could get a  2.0'ish blue label grade if you married the centerfold. Because Voldy doesn't have a "Qualified" label. It will just be noted on the label text that the book has a married centerfold. But the label color will be blue.  

wouldn't it still get the green label if you want to put another CF from another book into it? and even if you want blue wouldn't it stay at the same 0.5 blue its currently at even with the insert, but maybe with a notation?