• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

February Heritage Auction Really Shaping Up!
2 2

366 posts in this topic

I picked up two big items (for me) I’d been after for a while and thought they were my best chance.

• The Totleben/Bissette Swamp Thing page. It’s the right art team from Alan Moore’s run, it’s  kind of “Anatomy Lesson” adjacent, it kind of got Swamp Thing...decent at $3k due to the “kind of’s”.
  • The Quitely X-Men page. $3,120 seems high, but probably market price as I just can’t seem to find a good page with x-men.

As an aside it was a lot more fun bidding against the auction floor watching along on video yesterday, then on my phone today:)

24 minutes ago, NC101 said:

What is it that makes this page more expensive than some others that sell 4-6k? 

I’m not in the Sin City art market but loved the series.  I would place a big premium on which series it came from, I’d  imagine the prices roughly follow the publication history 

The Hard Goodbye > A Dame to Kill For > The Big Fat Kill >That Yellow > Family Values > Hell and Back

With some of the jumps more significant than others.

Missed an item because it came up while I was with the wife at a dog park and we got distracted by a Corgi puppy.   I placed a couple bids on a low end piece I liked and the puppy jumped up at me and dislodged my phone as I was preparing another bid.   Then it closed before I picked up the phone.   Then I get home and find the piece sold for a third less than I would have bid AND it was a larger drawing than I'd thought... Oh, well.   Cute dog, though.

One of the downsides of living in a time zone not conducive to live bidding is when there are pieces that have no real comps.  I had my eye on the 4 Flanagan Fu Manchu pieces, but had zero idea what they might go for, so all I could do was put in what I thought were reasonable bids and then go to sleep and hope for the best.

The pieces all went for about double my bid, except for the 6-9-34 piece where I came in as the underbidder.  I don't think I would've won any even if I'd been following the live bidding, but I probably would've upped my bids by quite a bit once I saw what the market was.  

Live and learn.

I was shocked by both the Larsen and McHulk results. 

Do those two auctions drive up the asking prices on future McSpidey pages? Or are splashy McSpideys already well beyond, making the Larsen&McHulk pages seem like bargains to those bidders? 

Edited by J.Sid

9 hours ago, bluechip said:

Missed an item because it came up while I was with the wife at a dog park and we got distracted by a Corgi puppy.   I placed a couple bids on a low end piece I liked and the puppy jumped up at me and dislodged my phone as I was preparing another bid.   Then it closed before I picked up the phone.   Then I get home and find the piece sold for a third less than I would have bid AND it was a larger drawing than I'd thought... Oh, well.   Cute dog, though.

Proxy bidding!

18 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Probably the same person(s) who was expecting $46K on that ASM #365 cover at CLink. :idea:

ASM interior and cover art by just about any artist (pre-400) is BY FAR the most sought after art in our ENTIRE HOBBY!!!!

Dont you know that by now Gene!!!! :makepoint:.........................;)

No comments on the Delbo DC backup Story selling for over 10k???? (that one shocked me)

Edited by romitaman

11 hours ago, bluechip said:

An anti bidding Corgi! Here I come to save the day!!!!!!It wasn’t meant to be this time buddy

image.png.e04ff564ccda539795f3ada22a86be3b.png

Edited by grapeape

4 hours ago, Garry Ghoul said:

The Rocketeer page went for so low! What happened?

lf.jpg

No Bettie? One panel of the Rocketeer in costume and he's rearranging furniture? 

EDIT for Serious Answer:  This was in the recent batch sold through the French gallery. The Bettie and action pages sold first and for dramatically more than the rest. The other pages took longer to sell. This being one of them. If I remember correctly the original asking price (2 years ago?)  was around what it sold for at Heritage but I'd have to double check. 

Edited by comix4fun

57 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

No Bettie? One panel of the Rocketeer in costume and he's rearranging furniture? 

EDIT for Serious Answer:  This was in the recent batch sold through the French gallery. The Bettie and action pages sold first and for dramatically more than the rest. The other pages took longer to sell. This being one of them. If I remember correctly the original asking price (2 years ago?)  was around what it sold for at Heritage but I'd have to double check. 

Agreed. this was a nice check the box page for a collector. I would always want a better page so I laid off.

On 3/7/2020 at 11:12 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Who was expecting $50K on the ASM 340 cover?

I, for one!

19 hours ago, comix4fun said:

So does the McFarlane "The Conversational/Smashless Hulk" #344 page selling for $22.8k make the Larsen Spider-Man page for $26.4k look more or less reasonable?

And where does Larsen's $14.4k "Lingerie MJ" fit in? hm 

19 hours ago, Lago32 said:

Both results are nuts in my opinion but in a way I suppose they represent a good sign for the hobby in that I have to think they are from newbies trying to stake a claim where they can.

Excellent hypothesis! It was certainly true for the McHulk page (thumbsu

18 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

1990's art is heating up as of late.  Keep in mind, most of the art is now over 25 years old so it is just starting to hit the nostalgic sweet spot for the next generation of collectors.  :preach:

Yup, this HA auction was their coming-out party :headbang:

Quick recap: Solid mid-week CLink followed by strong weekend HA auctions. OA market's still steaming ahead, especially for post-'80s stuff. Larsen, Keown and McHulk over-performed spectacularly, with Turner and AH! showing strength. Lee and Kubert X-Men also ticked upwards.

Edited by Dick O.

3 hours ago, comix4fun said:

i think the French Gallery was selling it around $7000!