• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

February Heritage Auction Really Shaping Up!
2 2

366 posts in this topic

Good point re anti trust and sure, it’s an unregulated market.   But... that’s the way it should be for this type of material.   Given those rules, this is the result 

Edited by Bronty

51 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Good point re anti trust and sure, it’s an unregulated market.   But... that’s the way it should be for this type of material.   Given those rules, this is the result 

It also can lead to a market where “overshoot and collapse” kicks in later to cause needless financial loss. Shame.

On 3/9/2020 at 2:42 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Really?  If  you truly and honestly expected the ASM 340 cover to go for $50K, I'd like to hire you as my OA consigliare, to provide insight and guidance on OA purchases because information such as this is valuable.

PM me for fees. You can also check out my articles here:

https://comicbookinvest.com/category/original-art-aficionado/

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

Yup, we all have to be big boys and girls. As with any other market, knowledge is power :preach:

11 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

It need not be the consignor to buy a piece at an excessive price. If an owner of several pieces wants to maintain or increase the value of what he owns, buy something high, and use it to support the value of your inventory. Don’t forget, this is a thin market. As a potential buyer, that is just as bad.

That's not shilling.

I had 77 pieces end monday night, they ended overall very well. I just didnt see the effects of the stock market/oil war on any of my consignments. I had two lots go low namely a star wars page that i paid almost 800 more then i got for it, but overall prices seemed pretty good even on 2nd tier stuff.

As I said, Nerds love their toys still. Besides, i can think of less risky things these days to put my money into then comic art.

6 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I had 77 pieces end monday night, they ended overall very well. I just didnt see the effects of the stock market/oil war on any of my consignments. I had two lots go low namely a star wars page that i paid almost 800 more then i got for it, but overall prices seemed pretty good even on 2nd tier stuff.

As I said, Nerds love their toys still. Besides, i can think of less risky things these days to put my money into then comic art.

I bet some of your pieces are coming to me! Kaluta, Garcia-Lopez, Ha, Jiminez, and Jones. I had to step away when that late Star Wars piece came up, or it might have gone for a little more. 2nd tier stuff is right about my speed.

8 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:
10 hours ago, tth2 said:

That's not shilling.

From the prospective bidder’s perspective, the effect is the same. Artificially high prices.

What's the difference between my being willing to pay $10k for all Sal B panel pages and  my being willing to ensure that no one else will get a Sal B panel page for less than $10k?

5 minutes ago, tth2 said:

What's the difference between my being willing to pay $10k for all Sal B panel pages and  my being willing to ensure that no one else will get a Sal B panel page for less than $10k?

This happens all the time on art and comics. I always bid Peanuts pieces up to a certain price level because that is the price where if I won I would be happy. Same with GA Batman’s. At a certain price point they are coming home with me. Above that price point they are someone else’s. 

Exactly.    There is just zero wrong with that.   

More importantly, if you are willing to the write the check then (barring shilling or misrepresentation) any price achieved isn't 'artificially high' - its real.     Whether someone bid because they think Veronica is sexy or because they have other high grade Archies, WTF cares.

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

Scenario 1.  If you win, you will be happy

Scenario 2.  If you win, you will not be as happy

(shrug)

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

This happens all the time on art and comics. I always bid Peanuts pieces up to a certain price level because that is the price where if I won I would be happy. Same with GA Batman’s. At a certain price point they are coming home with me. Above that price point they are someone else’s. 

Maybe I have done this as well ... but my intention has never been price protection. If there is an artist/series/etc. that I collect and the price is below what I would pay, I bid up to the point I would be happy to win the piece. If I win, great. If I don't, I didn't want it bad enough at the asking/auction price. 

2 hours ago, tth2 said:

From the potential buyer’s perspective, there isn’t one. The issue is whether you are buying it to just hold up the market price or are willing to spend it for your own enjoyment. If the former, it creates an artificially high price. If the artificially high price is way too high, someone may have to buy a lot of art, but for OA, comparables are limited as compared to something like publicly traded stock. That is why it can work here where it wouldn’t work elsewhere.

1 hour ago, JadeGiant said:

Maybe I have done this as well ... but my intention has never been price protection. If there is an artist/series/etc. that I collect and the price is below what I would pay, I bid up to the point I would be happy to win the piece. If I win, great. If I don't, I didn't want it bad enough at the asking/auction price. 

This was my internal debate last night, albeit at a far lower price point than others being discussed here. There were three roughly comparable pages from the same book. I got the first one at a price I was happy with. I wondered, "Should I get the others, if they are available at the same or lower price?" I chose to pass them by so someone else in my spending bracket could have a go. Hopefully they went to someone who will enjoy having them,

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

From the potential buyer’s perspective, there isn’t one. The issue is whether you are buying it to just hold up the market price or are willing to spend it for your own enjoyment. If the former, it creates an artificially high price. If the artificially high price is way too high, someone may have to buy a lot of art, but for OA, comparables are limited as compared to something like publicly traded stock. That is why it can work here where it wouldn’t work elsewhere.

There isn't enough time in the day to parse every individual motivation for buying and bless the good ones and curse the 'bad' ones.    Just pay what you want to and if its too much, pass.   Be responsible for your own bids and leave it at that.    That's my POV anyways.

Edited by Bronty

18 minutes ago, Bronty said:

There isn't enough time in the day to parse every individual motivation for buying and bless the good ones and curse the 'bad' ones.    Just pay what you want to and if its too much, pass.   Be responsible for your own bids and leave it at that.    That's my POV anyways.

Interesting topic for sure. I am primarily a buyer and can't get my head around bidding on something I don't want to buy (as in a collector bidding to push up price but hoping not to buy?). I have learned to go for the pieces I really want and hope the ones I don't want as much stay low for comp reasons. And we have really gone on a tangent here ... back to regular programming. 

48 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

Interesting topic for sure. I am primarily a buyer and can't get my head around

Spend, say, a couple million on a narrow segment (kubert war covers?  kaluta fantasy work?  whatever) and get close to retirement and/or become a dealer.   Your head will wrap quickly.

2 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Spend, say, a couple million on a narrow segment (kubert war covers?  kaluta fantasy work?  whatever) and get close to retirement and/or become a dealer.   Your head will wrap quickly.

Point taken. I get that.