• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

February Heritage Auction Really Shaping Up!
2 2

366 posts in this topic

I have it on good authority that HA will offer to give each buyer, who spends more than 100K USD, a bottle of hand sanitizer and three N95 masks, which cause a last minute spike in bids.  

Edited by bluechip

11 hours ago, tth2 said:

Reserves have been triggered and there are some pretty high expectations on the part of the consignors:

Ditko ASM #32 pp 12-13: $228k

Frazetta "Swordsmen in the Sky": $180k (if someone is willing to pay this much for a Tier Z Frazetta piece, then there is clearly way too much money sloshing around the world today)

Kirby FF Annual #1 Hulk pin-up:  $180k

Steranko CA #111 pp 12-13:  $180k (this ended any interest I had in the piece)

I'm noticing a trend here. hm

So who thinks any of these reserves will be met, and which ones?

:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

Did I mention

:whatthe:

3 hours ago, tth2 said:

It's the same way that the local media here reports sales of properties to try to indicate that there is flexibility in prices, by reporting that a flat sold for $X less than the asking price, without noting that the asking price was bananas and the so-called lowered sale price is still 30% higher than comparable properties a year ago

Clearly $225K was not the right price.  $180K remains to be seen.  I would think that someone would step up at $150K (IIRC, my friend made an offer for that much that was not accepted).  $125K almost surely and you probably find at least a couple of buyers at $100K or less.  

So...you'd have been a buyer at $138.5K?* hm 

* $138.5K x 130% = ~$180K 

3 hours ago, bluechip said:

I have it on good authority that HA will offer to give each buyer, who spends more than 100K USD, a bottle of hand sanitizer and three N95 masks, which cause a last minute spike in bids.  

Aren't there a lot of buyers in China these days? Could be a solid sales strategy

I am sort of wondering if watching these prices makes much sense before we are 24-48 hours away from the end (unless there is a bidding war already going on, which can be fun to watch). A lot of people make their bids at the end of the auction period because it helps hold down the pricing in the bidding wars.

This auction also seems to be drawing attention away from the weekly auction.

7 hours ago, tth2 said:

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Don’t know about noises trees make when they fall, but the art was on my site, and I did post here and sent an email blast.

Not my fault you didn’t see it.

13 hours ago, artdealer said:

Don’t know about noises trees make when they fall, but the art was on my site, and I did post here and sent an email blast.

Not my fault you didn’t see it.

It is what it is; heritage has the widest exposure and tends to get the highest realized prices but also charges the highest fees.    Sometimes it makes sense to consign with someone like yourself and sometimes an auction house will make more sense.    What the right path for this one is remains to be seen (and in any case depends partly on the seller’ wants/needs/timing etc).   

If it sells for more on HA it just goes to show there are deals to be had on your site.   It sells for more through you, it just goes to show your site can achieve great selling prices .

Edited by Bronty

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

It is what it is; heritage has the widest exposure and tends to get the highest realized prices but also charges the highest fees.    Sometimes it makes sense to consign with someone like yourself and sometimes an auction house will make more sense.    What the right path for this one is remains to be seen (and in any case depends partly on the seller’ wants/needs/timing etc).   

If it sells for more on HA it just goes to show there are deals to be had on your site.   It sells for more through you, it just goes to show your site can achieve great selling prices .

I know what I sold it for.

It will be interesting to see what the final price is.

1 hour ago, artdealer said:

I know what I sold it for.

It will be interesting to see what the final price is.

definitely.   all of these auctions will be interesting.    The prices always seem to get to places that seem higher than they should be

9 minutes ago, Bronty said:

all of these auctions will be interesting.    The prices always seem to get to places that seem higher than they should be

By my reckoning it seems they are consistently 20% higher than they should be ;)

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

definitely.   all of these auctions will be interesting.    The prices always seem to get to places that seem higher than they should be

No so sure about that. There have been pieces in the weekly auctions in particular which have sold on the low side.

I'm also following two Phantom Stranger covers, one by Adams and one by Aparo. At the rate the auction is going, I am not sure the Adams page will hit what it last sold for on Heritage, and certainly not the 15K the seller has been trying to sell it for. The Aparo cover is better, but there are definitely better Aparo covers than that one. It may, however, end up outselling the Adams cover. I'm not bidding on either one of them.

9 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

No so sure about that. There have been pieces in the weekly auctions in particular which have sold on the low side.

I'm also following two Phantom Stranger covers, one by Adams and one by Aparo. At the rate the auction is going, I am not sure the Adams page will hit what it last sold for on Heritage, and certainly not the 15K the seller has been trying to sell it for. The Aparo cover is better, but there are definitely better Aparo covers than that one. It may, however, end up outselling the Adams cover. I'm not bidding on either one of them.

My comments are in the context of high profile pieces in signature auctions and other significant auctions only.   Six figure pieces, wrightson frankenstein cover, etc.

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

My comments are in the context of high profile pieces in signature auctions and other significant auctions only.   Six figure pieces, wrightson frankenstein cover, etc.

Fair enough. I don't generally pay attention to things I will never, ever buy.

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

E97302B5-0042-424E-A594-DB6198D3B18F.thumb.jpeg.b6423c498a10f41df63363221a2d922b.jpeg

14 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

The Adams cover is now higher than the Aparo cover. In 2015, the Adams cover sold for $8,365.00. With BP, the bidding now is at $5,880. I think it should now exceed the 2015 price, but not by much (unless we have some shills out there who want to protect the market price).

On 2/29/2020 at 12:16 AM, tth2 said:

So who thinks any of these reserves will be met, and which ones?

I wonder if HA will just trip the reserves themselves if need be; it's not a secret that they buy aggressively for their own account.  Trip a few reserves, do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, reassure the market... hm 

Edited by delekkerste