• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first CGC slab tampered with? Help
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I just bought my first slab, and I understood that it is normal to be able to pull the sides open a few centimeters, but I am concerned that someone tampered with this and changed the label.

The inside looks dirty with spots inside the case. Not on the book.

Please someone take a moment to see the corners with the tiny tabs. I do not have experience with cgc books.

Thank you! :)

imagehfdh.thumb.jpeg.ee0f9c602e62ff13b5ca4b43375217a2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image2hs.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

One of the things that's very hard to do with any of the cases is to open them without cracking the plastic. Other things to look for would be whether the top label had been taken off and reattached (the newer comic cases don't have an exterior top label), whether the book matches the grade given on the label, and whether the posts are cracked or broken. 

Your book appears to pass all these tests, and it's pretty common to have some scuffs or debris on (or in) these older cases, especially if the book has passed through a few different hands. 

Congratulations, Happy New Year and Welcome to the Boards!!!  

Edited by The Lions Den

On 1/1/2020 at 9:02 PM, The Lions Den said:

One of the things that's very hard to do with any of the cases is to open them without cracking the plastic. Other things to look for would be whether the top label had been taken off and reattached (the newer comic cases don't have an exterior top label), whether the book matches the grade given on the label, and whether the posts are cracked or broken. 

Your book appears to pass all these tests, and it's pretty common to have some scuffs or debris on (or in) these older cases, especially if the book has passed through a few different hands. 

Congratulations, Happy New Year and Welcome to the Boards!!!  

Thank you very much!! For some reason I thought the entire slab would be sealed, or snapped closed all the way around, and I felt kind of ignorant for not doing the research, haha. The white on the corner seemed like someone tried gluing it, so my mind got carried away and it brought me here. :)The cert # checked out fine before I made the purchase, but I had heard horror stories of people swapping labels. Thanks for the reply

On 1/1/2020 at 8:58 PM, jokiing said:

I've received a couple fresh slabs from CGC with debris on the interior. Spots that can be seen at certain angles. .. Since they were new, CGC reslabbed them for me... so not uncommon.

Thanks I will prob get it reslabbed sometime soon. :)

On 1/1/2020 at 8:58 PM, jokiing said:

I've received a couple fresh slabs from CGC with debris on the interior. Spots that can be seen at certain angles. .. Since they were new, CGC reslabbed them for me... so not uncommon.

Thanks I will prob get it reslabbed sometime soon. :)