• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 Year in Review
2 2

186 posts in this topic

This was a very weird year - not bad but just weird.  The Key Collector App has changes things quite a bit and made the rise and fall of books happen in days.  The number of people looking to buy keys seems to have exploded in 2019 and the new streaming services has added some new shows that have fueled the market.  i can't speak on the current book market but there are people who are making money doing the quick flip on the hot book of the week but very few seem to hold their prices.  The sell quick and get out without holding the hot potato is the theme of 2019 from what I've seen.  What will 2020 hold?  

10 hours ago, comics4all said:

Since we are reviewing 2019, How about a great movie:

Avengers Endgame! 

Even though, it had some flaws, the culmination of all those movies/years was a once in a lifetime event! 

I've got to put a big +1 on this one.  I know Star Wars is on everyone's mind with the movie and the Disney+ show and Avengers has had a few months to simmer, but it was a truly momentous occasion for fans of comics and fans of movies in general.

Just think back to 2008 when Iron Man hit theaters and we see our first glimpse of Nick Fury and he teases a "team".  That certainly got the nerds (like me) excited.  Keep in mind at this point, we hadn't even seen Captain America or Thor on-screen yet.  Fast forward a few years and Avengers came out...and it was AMAZING.  They had successfully pulled out this terrific ensemble movie based on characters produced in their own also-successful solo movies.  I'm not sure it had been done before...at least not as well-executed.  At the end of the movie, you see Thanos for the first time, who at the time I'd estimate only 10% or fewer of the movie-going public knew what the post-credit really implied or even who Thanos was.  As good as Avengers was, I NEVER thought we'd see an Infinity Gauntlet saga put up on the big screen. 

Then 2019 rolls around and it seems like the whole world is on the edge of their seat waiting to see the conclusion of the conflict between a huge roster of superheroes and Thanos, who has since become a household name.  If you told me in 2007 that Thanos would be a key player in the biggest movie of all time, I'd have never believed you. 

Personally, I'd never been more excited to go see a movie than I was to go see Endgame.  I can't imagine a movie/franchise will capture the imagination of the general public like Avengers did for a VERY long time.  And to cap it off, we got an epilogue of sorts in the form of Spider-man: Far From Home, which was another excellent movie released in 2019. 

Also, Captain Marvel was a thing.  I liked it better than most.  It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad.  I found I enjoyed it more on a second viewing.  It also came out in 2019.

5 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

This was a very weird year - not bad but just weird.  The Key Collector App has changes things quite a bit and made the rise and fall of books happen in days.  The number of people looking to buy keys seems to have exploded in 2019 and the new streaming services has added some new shows that have fueled the market.  i can't speak on the current book market but there are people who are making money doing the quick flip on the hot book of the week but very few seem to hold their prices.  The sell quick and get out without holding the hot potato is the theme of 2019 from what I've seen.  What will 2020 hold?  

Hopefully it continues to push the market

It's a very appealing product

I'm very interested in first appearances in high grade

Villains

I'm especially grateful for my acquisition of Darkseids first full appearance 

55 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

@1Cool Very true! 

I did a number of quick flips this year, but timing is everything! If you wait too long you miss your window! 

55 minutes ago, Turtle said:

I've got to put a big +1 on this one.  I know Star Wars is on everyone's mind with the movie and the Disney+ show and Avengers has had a few months to simmer, but it was a truly momentous occasion for fans of comics and fans of movies in general.

Just think back to 2008 when Iron Man hit theaters and we see our first glimpse of Nick Fury and he teases a "team".  That certainly got the nerds (like me) excited.  Keep in mind at this point, we hadn't even seen Captain America or Thor on-screen yet.  Fast forward a few years and Avengers came out...and it was AMAZING.  They had successfully pulled out this terrific ensemble movie based on characters produced in their own also-successful solo movies.  I'm not sure it had been done before...at least not as well-executed.  At the end of the movie, you see Thanos for the first time, who at the time I'd estimate only 10% or fewer of the movie-going public knew what the post-credit really implied or even who Thanos was.  As good as Avengers was, I NEVER thought we'd see an Infinity Gauntlet saga put up on the big screen. 

Then 2019 rolls around and it seems like the whole world is on the edge of their seat waiting to see the conclusion of the conflict between a huge roster of superheroes and Thanos, who has since become a household name.  If you told me in 2007 that Thanos would be a key player in the biggest movie of all time, I'd have never believed you. 

Personally, I'd never been more excited to go see a movie than I was to go see Endgame.  I can't imagine a movie/franchise will capture the imagination of the general public like Avengers did for a VERY long time.  And to cap it off, we got an epilogue of sorts in the form of Spider-man: Far From Home, which was another excellent movie released in 2019. 

Also, Captain Marvel was a thing.  I liked it better than most.  It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad.  I found I enjoyed it more on a second viewing.  It also came out in 2019.

@Turtle Well said!

It is amazing to me that Thanos. Drax. rocket etc are all household names! 

Too bad the powers that be in charge of star Wars didn't take a page from Marvel Studios! 

55 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Hopefully it continues to push the market

It's a very appealing product

I'm very interested in first appearances in high grade

Villains

I'm especially grateful for my acquisition of Darkseids first full appearance 

DARKSEID IS. 

1 minute ago, comics4all said:

@Turtle Well said!

It is amazing to me that Thanos. Drax. rocket etc are all household names! 

Too bad the powers that be in charge of star Wars didn't take a page from Marvel Studios! 

Or DC (taking the page from Marvel)

How do you let a company (marvel) steal 

Darkseid (Thanos)

Deathstroke(deadpool)

And then exploit it to the masses?

Edited by Hollywood1892

17 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Or DC (taking the page from Marvel)

How do you let a company (marvel) steal 

Darkseid (Thanos)

Deathstroke(deadpool)

And then exploit it to the masses?

The same way DC did it to Fawcett?

13 hours ago, comics4all said:

In sad news we had the final Green Eggs Grading contest! :(

Hopefully @thirdgreenham will change his mind?! :wishluck:

I didn't realise it had finished.  :frown:

I had a couple of years off from my attempts to attain last place and the accolade of being the contest's most inept grader, but never quite made it.

You only miss the opportunities when they're finally gone.

Very sad news indeed.

Edited by Ken Aldred

11 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I didn't realise it had finished.  :frown:

I had a couple of years off from my attempts to attain last place and the accolade of being the contest's most inept grader, but never quite made it.

You only miss the opportunities when they're finally gone.

Very sad news indeed.

@Ken Aldred Agreed!

Hey maybe if we keep talking about it , Andy will change his mind!