• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink passwords compromised? Edit: apparently not!
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Google gave me this warning tonight:

The following accounts use passwords which were exposed in a third-party data breach. Change these passwords immediately to keep your accounts safe.

I haven't received any notice about this from ComicLink, but I'm taking it seriously. Make your own judgment.

image.thumb.png.13618036eb73b1e05725e2d295d4a60d.png

Edited by DavidTheDavid

people that breach then send out emails saying "I have you on video watching adult videos for proof here is your password-send $1600 bitcoin and it will be our little secret otherwise I send to all your email contacts-"  lol 

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

I’m not even sure what some malicious actor could do with my ComicLink password.  Make bogus listings?  Go ahead, ComicLink isn’t eBay.  Bid for me?  The email notifications would put a quick stop to that.  Ship stuff to my office?  hm

I had the same feeling when yahoo was hacked, I only used it a few times for fantasy football so eh. But on second thought they could ruin my rep by drafting a kicker in the 1st round.

Some people use the same passwords for multiple accounts. Presumably they also have all other account info, such as names, addresses, emails, etc... Damage could be done if someone were motivated, but this is the world we live in now. Everyone is always at risk... Two factor authentication is a real peace of mind...

Yeah, the reality is that everyone reading this has almost certainly had his or her password and other information already compromised on at least one occasion. Sign up for identity protection (my bank provides it at no cost) and prepare to be dismayed.

As Callaway29 notes, the damage often comes when bad actors use your password for other sites.

30 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Some people use the same passwords for multiple accounts. Presumably they also have all other account info, such as names, addresses, emails, etc... Damage could be done if someone were motivated, but this is the world we live in now. Everyone is always at risk... Two factor authentication is a real peace of mind...

Swordfish. In the old Marx Brothers films, the password was usually "Swordfish".

2 hours ago, kav said:

people that breach then send out emails saying "I have you on video watching adult videos for proof here is your password-send $1600 bitcoin and it will be our little secret otherwise I send to all your email contacts-"  lol 

I usually tell them to put it on the JUMBOTRON. The whole city can see it then. Don't want anyone left out.

6 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

I usually tell them to put it on the JUMBOTRON. The whole city can see it then. Don't want anyone left out.

Tell em "I'll give ya the $1600 bitcoin IF you send that 'video' to all my contacts".

9 hours ago, unclezebo said:

I had the same feeling when yahoo was hacked, I only used it a few times for fantasy football so eh. But on second thought they could ruin my rep by drafting a kicker in the 1st round.

Fantasy-Keeper-Leagues-Taco2.jpg.bc955d093bb41069095b354a75a157ce.jpg

14 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I haven't received any notice about this from ComicLink, but I'm taking it seriously. Make your own judgment.

This does not, necessarily, mean that Comiclink is compromised. It means that the username password combination you use on Comiclink shows up in one of any number of databases out in world which contain compromised account information. You should change your password on Comiclink. :foryou: 

Never reuse any password because once it is compromised, it is forever compromised. These databases do not go away they are just added to as new accounts are hacked. Do not just add random characters to the end or beginning of a password you know is compromised. Hackers know people do this and they run password hacking programs which will take known username/password combinations and change the leading and/or trailing characters, eg. password1, 1password, password123, password1234, etc.

Get a plugin like Lastpass and do not store your passwords in your browser because the "security" protecting them is laughingly easy to break.

17 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Being very serious, this looks like a scam e-mail. To find out if your password was compromised, go to your comiclink account directly, do not click on any link in the e-mail, and ask comiclink.

17 hours ago, mattn792 said:

I’m not even sure what some malicious actor could do with my ComicLink password.  

Take your password and see if they can crack any of your other accounts, since most people use the same password for everything. 

18 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

43 minutes ago, Spawnfreak said:

Being very serious, this looks like a scam e-mail. To find out if your password was compromised, go to your comiclink account directly, do not click on any link in the e-mail, and ask comiclink.

That's strange as I received this warning about a data breach not from Google, but only when I tried to sign into my CL account yesterday.  ???

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

That's strange as I received this warning about a data breach not from Google, but only when I tried to sign into my CL account yesterday.  ???

@ComicLink Rick

1 hour ago, Spawnfreak said:

That's directly from Google, their password checkup feature. Google it. :D 

Hi All. Been going back and forth with Josh and the tech end of things tonight, despite the countdown to NYE...:bigsmile:

Here is what the tech end of things is saying -- 

"[Google Password Checkup is] on by default in recent versions of Chrome. Google scans dark web password lists and compares it against what you're entering into a site. If it's known to be compromised, they will alert you. This is completely user specific and doesn't have to do with CLink itself"

So, to be clear, we have checked on our end and we have found no evidence of passwords or other user info being compromised on the ComicLink end. The suggestion is that a user's password(s) could have been compromised on the user end in some other way.

So, if this is a concern for you, we would suggest that you update/change your CLink password and any other passwords you might be concerned about. For ComicLink, this can be easily done in the ComicLink system via ComicTrack>My Account>User Settings.