• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm new to all this ....

6 posts in this topic

Welcome To The Boards!!!

Collecting is different for everybody, it all depends what you like and what you are interested in.

1)What characters/storylines, etc are you interested in?

2)Are you looking for new books/titles or looking to start collecting back issues of a title/character?

3)Are you looking for Graded books or Raw books?

4)Are you collecting for your enjoyment or investment purposes?

As far as info about comics and collecting, I would recommend you get yourself a copy of the Overstreet Price Guide, the prices/values listed are usually outdated by the time the book is published but you can get a "general" idea of value and the book is filled with other valuable information for all types of collectors.

https://www.amazon.com/Overstreet-Comic-Book-Price-Guide/dp/160360233X

Google "comic book collecting 101", there are numerous articles and YouTube video's for beginner collectors.

Also remember this...

1)Buy what you enjoy and enjoy what you buy.

2)The only "dumb/stupid" question is the one that is not asked.

3)It is easier to answer "dumb/stupid" questions than fix "dumb/stupid" mistakes.

As far as I am concerned, ask any question you have no matter how silly you think it may be and I/we (?) will do our best to answer it.

If you just like comics, buy what you love and don't slab it, read it carefully. Store it carefully on board in a bag. For price guidance, follow Highgrade comics, Metropoltan comics listings based on condition.

Learn to grade. Follow the "Buddy can you spare a grade" boards. 

If you're buying to make money, still buy what you love but get the best condition you can afford.     Beyond that , what marvelmaniac said 

10 hours ago, itstinaling said:

and i feel like I am about to ask a really dumb question. I'm just starting up and I don't know where to begin. Is there like a "How to begin for Dummies" out there somewhere? 

Go to a store that has comics. Pick out some that look appealing and/or feature characters that you like. Take them home and read them. 

Unless you're looking to dive right in to the plastic crack habit. if that's the case, ignore what I wrote above.

Hey man,

Before I actually went to my first comic book store, I actually frequented my local library every week just because they would have a pretty big selection of graphic novels and single issues. That's a pretty good starting place for you to figure out everything that @marvelmaniac said. You can read some old and new storylines and see if you actually like certain characters.

I went to my first store in 2011 just as DC Comics' New 52 was starting so I was lucky to have everything rebooted back to #1. If I'm not mistaken there are a few titles right now that are finishing up arcs, getting reboots/new series or reaching landmark issues. Now seems like an alright time to jump into single issues, otherwise trade paperbacks and hardcovers will help you cover lost ground quite quickly.

And lastly, everything you don't know about this hobby you can find online somewhere in articles, videos and forums (just like this!), so if you feel like not asking people, just go wild and google everything!