• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2020 "THIS SCORE NEEDS FIXIN" REQUESTS
4 4

114 posts in this topic

I'll do my best to use my better judgement. LOL  I went through all of the books that you adjusted and didn't have any complaints whatsoever.  I appreciate what you do!

I'll only list books that are selling for at least twice the point value that they're listed at in 9.8.  GPA is my source. So without further ado...

Title/issue                      9.8 registry pts    Avg/last sale

Marvel Team-Up 11           120                   $432/Jul 2018

Marvel Team-Up 15           180                   $370/Mar 2020

Marvel Team-Up 16           120                   $227/Feb 2017 (I know it's not doubled but there are only 3 9.8s in existence out of 68 total graded: 4.41%)

Marvel Team-Up 17           120                   $250/Jan 2010 (Last sale was a decade ago, I know)

Marvel Team-Up 18           120                   $260/Sep 2018

Marvel Team-Up 21            75                    $326/Aug 2015 (Too stale?)

Marvel Team-Up 22            75                    $125/Dec 2013 (Only one 9.8 exists out of 28 total graded: 3.57%)

Marvel Team-Up 23            75                    $248/Nov 2019

Marvel Team-Up 25            75                    $360/Aug 2019

Marvel Team-Up 26            75                    $151/Feb 2020

Marvel Team-Up 27            75                    $275/Jun 2018

Marvel Team-Up 28            75                    $225/Feb 2011 (Western Penn pedigree) Only two 9.8 exist out of 31 total graded: 6.45%

Marvel Team-Up 30            75                    $360/Nov 2017 (Only one 9.8 exists out of 22 total graded: 4.76%)

I'll stop at issue 30 and pick up after you had a chance to look over these.  

Since I was putting down percentages, I'd like to revisit Marvel Team-Up 1 where there are a mere three 9.8's that exist out of 994 graded.  That's a staggering 0.30% success rate!

Thanks for any and all considerations 

Scores Updated. Thank you

Hey Matt,

I just added an Ash vs. The Army of Darkness #1 CGC 9.8 to my set.

It came up with 0 points for it.  Can you switch it to the 32 so I can take 1st (for the moment...)

Thanks

Score updated per your previous request. Thank you

Hey Matt,

Here's the next installment of Marvel Team-Ups.  I went through issues 31-50 plus the annuals.  

Title / Issue                             9.8 pts   GPA 90 avg/last sale      Notes

Marvel Team-Up 31                    64        $245/May 2020

Marvel Team-Up 32                    64        $400/Jun 2019                 Rarity: Two 9.8's exist

Marvel Team-Up 33                    64        $203/May 2016                Old sale; Two 9.8's exist

Marvel Team-Up 34                    64        $158/Oct 2019

Marvel Team-Up 35                    64        $150/Jun 2019

Marvel Team-Up 36                    64        $153/Oct 2019

Marvel Team-Up 37                    64              N/A                             Rarity: One 9.8 exists; Never been sold on open market that GPA monitors

Marvel Team-Up 38                    64        $215/Mar 2019

Marvel Team-Up 41                    64        $123/Jul 2019

Marvel Team-Up 43                    64        $200/Mar 2018

Marvel Team-Up 44                    64        $132/Jul 2018

Marvel Team-Up 45                    64        $139/Mar 2020

Marvel Team-Up 46                    72        $144/Aug 2019

Marvel Team-Up 47                    64        $117/Aug 2018

Marvel Team-Up 48                    64        $200/May 2020

Marvel Team-Up annual 1         320       $615/Mar 2020                 2018 average was $404 w/ four sales

Marvel Team-Up annual 3          50        $135/Aug 2019

Marvel Team-Up annual 4          50        $111/Apr 2020

Marvel Team-Up annual 6          48        $110/Oct 2017

Thanks for taking a look at these, Matt!  I appreciate anything you can do with these registry points.

Again, apologies for my absent mindedness!

Scores updated slightly. Thank you

Good afternoon,

I am not sure if this is the correct area for this "request" but I figured I would throw it out there and see if it sticks.

The Moon Knight 1980s series registry has the Three Werewolf By Night (32, 33 & 37), as well as the two Marvel Spotlight appearances (28 & 29) as part of their score, which I would argue offsets the point of that particular set. With the incredible score that WWBN #32 offers it makes the set not about the 38 issue run but who has the highest grade WWBN #32. A rough guess example is that a 9.4 WWBN #32 is almost equivalent to the entire 38 issue run in 9.8.  In full disclosure I have a set competing for the top slot in that registry, but if the 5 above books were to be removed I would not catapult into first place (although my full run of the 38 issues definitely would be higher than 16th).

There is a Moon Knight (Master Set) which seems a more appropriate place for the 5 books (they are already in the set) mentioned above so that the 1980 Moon Knight series can shine on their own. 

If this is not the appropriate area for this request then please let me know. I would also welcome input from board members as I recognize that I am just one opinion of many.

Thank you for your time and attention,

jcronin

Hello @jcronin,

At first glance I would agree with you. This is a 1980 set and the books were published prior to this set title date. Just for the sake of clarity, will you please post this as its own thread on the CGC Registry section of the boards? This will garner more views and possible feedback from others. You may include my comments as well. Thank you

Please take a look at The Walking Dead 1 Second Printing WW Portland Edition 2013 https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/SlotScoreDetail.aspx?SlotID=170441

This was limited to just 250 copies and attracts a selling price premium of x4 over the other 2013 Wizard World TWD editions.

Suggest its score might be bumped from 48 for a 9.8U to about 160-200.

Thank you for considering.

Score Updated. Thank you

Hey Matt,

Comic Connect auction realized prices for the following books.

Marvel Team-Up 9 CGC 9.8 $560 Score Increased

Marvel Team-Up 10 CGC 9.8 $1,000 Score not changed. 

Marcel Team-Up 18 CGC 9.8 $398Score not changed. 

@Robert Doggett,

Thank you for your due diligence. Please note that I will not be reviewing and updating scores every time one book is sold. In order to properly determine the scores we require multiple sales in multiple grades. #10 and #18 do not warrant an increase as the sales for one 9.8 book seem skewed and will throw off our scoring formula for all other grades. 

Could you please take a look at these?  I will provide links To the books tomorrow.

I think these prices are a wee bit inflated, especially issue 10.  It appears that two people with sheer determination to win were bidding on this book and one finally came to their senses. LOL  This shouldn't be more than a $600 book.  Bottom line is that someone actually paid this $1K.

Would you please update the score on Vengeance of Vampirella #1 (1994, Harris) - Royal Blue Edition? A 9.8 is currently 32 points while the standard version is 64 points.

More importantly this is probably the most valuable and sought after non-magazine Vampirella comic there is. More info is available here: http://www.recalledcomics.com/VengeanceOfVampirella1Blue.php

Only 100 copies were printed. It also was the very first of many "Royal Blue" variants of Vampirella comics marketed even up until this year.

It was sold new for $200 back in 1994 by Comic Cavalcade. A 9.0 copy sold for $2,000 a few years ago, and another 9.0 sold for $750 on 6/30/2019. No higher grades have been sold recently that I recall. This one comic is worth more than than the rest of the Vengeance of Vampirella run combined.

Thanks for your consideration.

Score significantly increased. Thank you

6 hours ago, Darkga said:

Would you please update the score on Vengeance of Vampirella #1 (1994, Harris) - Royal Blue Edition? A 9.8 is currently 32 points while the standard version is 64 points.

More importantly this is probably the most valuable and sought after non-magazine Vampirella comic there is. More info is available here: http://www.recalledcomics.com/VengeanceOfVampirella1Blue.php

Only 100 copies were printed. It also was the very first of many "Royal Blue" variants of Vampirella comics marketed even up until this year.

It was sold new for $200 back in 1994 by Comic Cavalcade. A 9.0 copy sold for $2,000 a few years ago, and another 9.0 sold for $750 on 6/30/2019. No higher grades have been sold recently that I recall. This one comic is worth more than than the rest of the Vengeance of Vampirella run combined.

I agree that the scores are very, very low based on the rarity of the book and most certainly should be corrected.  The link you quoted is often used to explain why 100 "Royal Blue" books were printed; however, the explanation below from another boardie per a discussion in late 2019 seems more plausible!

"I'd like to know where this "gold foil" story came from. The story repeated at "Vampirlore" and other places is not correct, despite being quoted from Bon. There was never going to be a "gold foil second printing"; they'd already MADE the gold foil variant for the first printing, so they certainly didn't "run out" of "gold foil"...they never made them in the first place ("gold foil 2nd printings.") .

What DID happen is that they went back to press to print a second printing, and they used (obviously) the teal foil...but they had the (what would come to be known as the "royal") blue foil available as well, so they printed "100" or so of the actual blues as a "test" run, to see what they'd look like...much like the red and blue Maxx 1/2s. Someone liked the look, and they then decided to use it going forward...with the next one being Vampirella #0 6 months later.

The idea that a publisher would order "gold foil" and the printer "ran out" and substituted another color is not plausible. They also wouldn't have only printed "100" of them if they had an actual order. Harris didn't yet do "100" print runs. The details don't jive." 

Edited by Taxmick1

Could you please update Donald Duck #26? a 9.0 sold $1680 in Sept 2019 and a 9.2 sold for $5055 in May 2014. Registry #

Thanks!

Score updated. Please note that the 2014 sale will not weigh heavily into our decision as it may be an outlier.

Hello Registry Team,

Recently the Bendis-era run of Iron Man (2017-2018 - the Riri stuff) as logged in the registry - Invincible Iron Man (2017), was updated to reflect the totality of the run (thank you for that, btw). However, the points awarded to the ratio books should perhaps be adjusted to weigh more accurately against the significance of the ratio (which reflects their availability on the broader market as well as in the CGC Census). I would begin with Iron Man #600 in earnest. To help these efforts, here is a list of Iron Man #600 books, with their appropriate ratio attached, some ComicChron sales figures (May, 2018 Data) and Go Collect Sales Data (Iron Man #600 Analysis) included to give perspective as to broader market availability, let alone as 9.8 examples.

600 (CGC example: 1300070021): Standard Cover. ComicChron estimates 58,528 copies | Recent GoCollect 9.8 FMV is $20 - a regular book with a print run spike because of Anniversary numbering that should probably receive a regular 9.8 allocation of 24 points

600 Blank Sketch Cover variant: Same as above. I'm don't believe these were ratio'd and maybe part of the total print run as noted above. Go Collect FMV pending. - a regular book that should probably receive a regular 9.8 allocation of 24 points

600 1:25 Coipel variant: Ratio'd againt the ComicChron estimates, this book is available in approximately 2,350 copies (rounded up to nearest ten) | Recent GoCollect 9.8 FMV is $26 - a 1:25 ratio in low print run that should probably net more points than a regular, non-ratio 9.8

600 1:50 Ross variant: Ratio'd against the ComicChron estimates, this book is available in approximately 1,180 copies (rounded up to nearest ten) | Recent GoCollect 9.8 FMV is $75, - a 1:50 ratio in low print run that should net several points more than a regular, non-ratio 9.8

600 1:100 Ross Virgin variant (CGC example: 1284054017): Ratio'd against the ComicChron estimates, this book is available in only approximately 590 (rounded up to nearest ten) copies | Recent GoCollect 9.8 FMV is $120, I've seen actual slabs transfer for $175 - a high ratio, low print run book that should net significantly more points than a regular, non-ratio 9.8.

600 1:500 Romita Remastered variant (CGC example: 1626149005): Ratio'd against the ComicChron estimates, this book is available in only approximately 120 copies (rounded up to nearest ten) | Recent GoCollect 9.8 FMV is $300. I've seen actual 9.8 slabs sell for less at $200.00 - This is a very high ratio, very low print run book that should net significantly more points than other standard ratio books.

600 1:1000 Romita black & white Remastered variant (CGC example: 2085691003): Ratio'd against the ComicChron esimates, this book is available in only approximately 60 copies (rounded up to nearest ten) | Recent GoCollect 9.8 FMV is $140, although I've seen sales at around $175. The actual sales data would make it appear that there is limited demand for this high ratio book, but this may change overnight if there is any cause to put eyes on it. Based on it's print run alone, this book should command significant points as a 9.8 slab, although market sales data puts it as a book of similar demand to the Ross variants.

Possible confounds to what was presented here include added availability due to over runs and holdbacks on any given copies. Another confound could possibly be the measurement of the rations themselves - for example, a book printed in ratio against the master total (i.e., 58,528) or a book printed in ratio against the master total after removal of the previous ratio (i.e. 58,528 - the first ratio of 2,350 to create a new base for the next ratio, although I don't think this is what is done).  There is CGC census data as well, but in theory the census data should reflect the print runs in proportion, aside from the 1:1000 book which has such a low availability that every copy in existence could conceivable be graded by CGC. The CGC Iron Man #600 census data can create a confound as well though - for example, the market may be more interested in the ratio variants although the census gives the appearance that the blank sketch cover is a "scarcer" book (only 2 copies in 9.8) as opposed to the Ross Virgin Variant (16 copies in 9.8) although it's clear that the Virgin Variant is truly the harder to find book although it has more market interest in submission.  I'd be happy to see discussion on proposed point totals, but I think it's clear that any of the Iron Man #600 ratio books should see points awarded to them in higher value than the comparable non-ratio books even if only based on market availability on it's own merits.  If need be, I will mention census data in a future post, but in that case computing the point totals might require combining or rationalizing the current CGC availability with the concept that these are exceptionally lower print runs to begin with.

Thank you for your review of this data and request!

I updated the scores for those books that have multiple sales on the secondary markets, which is not all of them. Please note that I cannot update a score based only on printage, scarcity, etc as the sales are the concrete evidence. 

On 5/23/2020 at 12:43 AM, Robert Doggett said:

Hey Matt,

Comic Connect auction realized prices for the following books.

Marvel Team-Up 9 CGC 9.8 $560 Score Increased

Marvel Team-Up 10 CGC 9.8 $1,000 Score not changed. 

Marcel Team-Up 18 CGC 9.8 $398Score not changed. 

@Robert Doggett,

Thank you for your due diligence. Please note that I will not be reviewing and updating scores every time one book is sold. In order to properly determine the scores we require multiple sales in multiple grades. #10 and #18 do not warrant an increase as the sales for one 9.8 book seem skewed and will throw off our scoring formula for all other grades. 

Could you please take a look at these?  I will provide links To the books tomorrow.

I think these prices are a wee bit inflated, especially issue 10.  It appears that two people with sheer determination to win were bidding on this book and one finally came to their senses. LOL  This shouldn't be more than a $600 book.  Bottom line is that someone actually paid this $1K.

That makes sense to me!  Thanks for the comments and insight on the point system.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for all of your help! I am really enjoying the Registry again.

I was wondering if you could look at two scores for me?

All Star Comics 58 (9.8) recent auctions have fluctuated between $1200 and $1900. Here are three recent Comiclink auctions  https://comiclink.com/search.asp?where=sell&title=All+star+58&GO2=GO&ItemType=CB

All Star Comics 69 (9.8) recent auctions have been between $500-$700

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/861738

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALL-STAR-COMICS-69-CGC-9-8-1ST-HUNTRESS/254580767684

Thanks!

Scores updated. Thank you

Hi Matt-

I’d like to request point increases on 5 Key books in grades that don’t reflect sale prices:

1. X-Men #137 CGC 9.9 (Highest graded, very few) is at 680 points, but sold in Heritage Auction for over $3,100 in that grade in 2017 (That copy did Not even have White Pages). Other copies in that grade have sold for over $2,000 many years ago, as well. Scores are accurate. I cannot change the scoring for the book for one auction from 2017 which may be an outlier. 

2. Marvel Super Hero Secret Wars #8 CGC 10.0 (Highest graded, very few) is at 1,500 points, but sold for $14,000 in 2019 (also another copy sold for $9,000 in 2018; both sales shown on GPAnalysis.com). Score has not been changed. Score is actually a touch higher than it should be in lower grades.

3. Detective Comics #122 CGC 7.0 is at 609 points, but sold in that grade for $8,200 earlier this year (and over $6,800 in auction last year). All grades have seen increase in sales across the board in recent years (1st Catwoman cover). Score significantly increased

4. Detective Comics #68 CGC 7.0 is at 1,470 points, but most recently sold in that grade for over 3X that point value. Many lower grades have seen increase in sales across the board in recent years  (1st Two-Face cover). score increased

5. Detective Comics #67 CGC 7.0 is at 1,029 points, but most recently sold in that grade for 3-4X that point value. Many lower grades have seen increase in sales across the board  (1st Penguin cover). score updated

On 6/7/2020 at 8:53 PM, Lookin4Newsstands said:

1. X-Men #137 CGC 9.9 (Highest graded, very few) is at 680 points, but sold in Heritage Auction for over $3,100 in that grade in 2017 (That copy did Not even have White Pages). Other copies in that grade have sold for over $2,000 many years ago, as well. Scores are accurate. I cannot change the scoring for the book for one auction from 2017 which may be an outlier. 

Thanks for your help Matt- 

For X-Men #137 CGC 9.9, I understand that a score cannot be changed from a sale from one auction. I noticed only one sale listed on GPAnalysis.com - it happens to be the Heritage Auction I mentioned. However- there have been other sales prior to that- 5 of the other sales were on ComicLink (sales not shown on GPA) - all sold in 2013, and all sales ranged from $1,800 to $2,400. I actually purchased one of those 5 copies (yes I splurged, and had to sell many other books to pay that off). I can email you proof of those additional 5 sales if needed, and can send a screenshot of my auction win (dated and # of bids shown) as well. So that would be a total of 6 sales for this book in this grade - coincidentally, there’s 6 copies of that highest grade on the census. Including the Heritage Auction, sales from 2013-2017 ranged from $1,800-$3,107.

For the other books of ‘The Dark Phoenix Saga’ (X-Men #129-138), there are scores for some of these (such as #131) in 9.8 which do correlate to their actual sales values, yet many scores of these other issues in 9.8 are much, much higher (4 of these issues in 9.8 score between 1200-1805 points) than the #137 score in 9.9 (680 points). However, no issue between #129-138 in CGC 9.8 has ever sold for as much for #137 in CGC 9.9 (with the exception of one single sale of #129 CGC 9.8 for $1,800 (all other sales of this issue and the other issues were much less), and even that is on the low end of what #137 CGC 9.9 has sold for in the past.

Hello @Lookin4Newsstands

Please send me a PM with screenshots and/or auction links and I will review to see if the score can be increased. Thank you

Dear Matt

Please take a look at The Walking Dead #33, Second Printing, slot ID https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/SlotScoreDetail.aspx?SlotID=128973

This is the rare edition with the blue cover (the First printing had a red cover), and was a very limited run. In the market, it attracts a premium of about 4-5x the First printing. This is evidenced from sellmycomicbooks.com in the screenshot attached (and see https://www.sellmycomicbooks.com/the-walking-dead-comic.html - look just about half way down the page).

I suggest that the current 48 points for 9.8U should be increased to about 150-200.

Thank you for your consideration.

Thank you for your patience. I have increased the score accordingly. 

Screenshot 2020-06-18 at 14.08.39.png

The following issue I don’t think was added into the system correctly, I can’t add it and I see that in the set it is without any comic scores:

Wonder Woman Rebirth 2016

Wonder Woman 57

Cert #2130361010

Also within that set, Annual #2 is at a score of 40  when it should be at a 24

Thank you!!

Annual #2 score corrected. WW57 slot did not contain a book which is why you were not able to add a book to it. I added the slot and it should work now. 

Hey Matt,

Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel #1 9.8 have been selling in the 1000-1300 and the current pts should be updated to reflect the increase in price.

Amazing Spider-Man #194 9.8 have been selling well between 1600-2000 range for a while now and the current pts should reflect that.  This book sells for a lot more than ASM 252 but has a lower pt value than it.

Amazing Spider-Man #238 9.8 have been selling well between the range of 800-1000.  Same situation with this book, this book should have a higher pt value than 252 by sales value alone.

Amazing Spider-Man #361 9.8 have been selling in the 400 range and needs an updated pt value.

All Star Comics #58 9.8 have been selling in the 1400 range and needs an updated pt value.

Batman Beyond #1 9.8 have been selling in the 800 range and needs an update pt value.

Judge Dredd(Eagle Comics) #1 9.8 have been selling in the 200 range and needs an updated pt value.

Ms Marvel #18 9.8 have been selling in the 900 range and needs an updated pt value.

New Mutants Annual #2 9.8 have been selling in the 300-400 range and needs an updated pt value.

NYX #3 9.8 have been selling steady now in the 800 range and needs an updated pt value.

Sentry #1 9.8 have been selling steady for a while now in the 275-400 range depending on variant and needs an updated pt value.

Teen Titans #12(2016) 9.8 have been selling steady in the 600 range and needs an updated pt value.

Thor #337 9.8 have been selling steady in the 400 range and needs an updated pt value.

Ultimate Fallout #4 9.8 had a significant uptick in price and have been selling in the 900-1000 range, needs an updated pt value.

Uncanny X-Men #221 have been steady in the 250-280 range and needs an updated pt value.

Thank you.

Scores updated. Thank you

Batman: The Killing Joke nn Fourth Printing/BOMC Edition is listed as 25 points in 9.6 grade.  This is 20 points lower than any other printing in a 9.6 grade.

Here is the 4th Print BOMC and regular 4th Print point charts for comparison

image.thumb.png.b1c6a4a5c6390f6c73f9ffbc4cb5fb9b.png

As you can see, the points for the regular 4th print in 9.4 grade is more than the BOMC edition in 9.6.  The BOMC edition is quite rare, so, it should be at least the same points, across the board, as any other printing, if not worth more due to the rarity.

Score Updated. Thank you