• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IDW Artist Editions and their boxes

60 posts in this topic

Hey man careful... if you talked all the hoarders into thinking reasonably the hobby would collapse when they sold all of their collection they don't REALLY need AND quit buying 5 copies of newest hot issue.

I would be a bit of a more of a hoarder if my wife wasn't SO anti hoarding. Any garage sale buyers in the house?!? My eye twitches when I drive by a garage sale and don't stop.

Edited by gumbydarnit

5 hours ago, vodou said:

Sounds like either the school is paying for them or you're taking a deduction -either way, you really couldn't collect them then...could you?

But do you buy dupes "for you"?

Ha-- no, I'm the school, but yes they qualify as deductions, so you're 100% right.   The only one I bought for "myself" was RONIN-- and I didn't deduct that one, although as my Tax Attorney explained I could, I'm extremely honest about such things and this was one I didn't want students pawing through. ;)

26 minutes ago, AndyFish said:

Ha-- no, I'm the school, but yes they qualify as deductions, so you're 100% right.   The only one I bought for "myself" was RONIN-- and I didn't deduct that one, although as my Tax Attorney explained I could, I'm extremely honest about such things and this was one I didn't want students pawing through. ;)

Ha ha, love it. The "free" (deductible books) get trahsed and the "for you" doesn't. All good, but I think I've properly rebutted your I don't collect everything that can be collected statement. No? (And the Ronin box...status please ;) )

17 hours ago, vodou said:

Ha ha, love it. The "free" (deductible books) get trahsed and the "for you" doesn't. All good, but I think I've properly rebutted your I don't collect everything that can be collected statement. No? (And the Ronin box...status please ;) )

True-- but I still didn't keep the box.

On 1/23/2020 at 3:46 PM, AndyFish said:

I bought that massive book and had it signed by Frank. Everyone else was in like with Batman stuff and I'm alone with Ronin. I think it's amazing.

On 1/24/2020 at 7:51 PM, alxjhnsn said:

I bought that massive book and had it signed by Frank. Everyone else was in like with Batman stuff and I'm alone with Ronin. I think it's amazing.

My wife laughed the other day at how many different versions of this series I have, hardcovers, softcovers, the Absolute Edition-- this series is what got me back into art in high school.

On 1/24/2020 at 12:17 PM, vodou said:

Coolio...that's why I asked. You're all good (as if it matters what I think lol ). We used to be in Millbury, just around the corner from you, fyi.

We're actually in Greendale, which is closer to Holden but we used to live right on the Millbury line-- nice area.  Ironically Greendale is where Sabrina lives and that's the series my wife and I work on.

On 1/24/2020 at 7:51 PM, alxjhnsn said:

I kind of misread this.  I thought you actually got the box signed.  That would be a great excuse for keeping the box.

I've got all of my boxes except for the very first one I bought, which was the first edition of the Dave Stevens book. (That was also the first Artist Edition they did, wasn't it?) Back at the time it was the only one I owned, and I think I used the box to ship some original art out, as I didn't have anything better to use at the moment. Now that I have a few of these, I wish I'd held onto that box. If anyone has one they want to turn loose, hit me up!

16 hours ago, 35CentEra said:

I've not found any better storage for the AE than the original boxes.  Wish they had a small sticker from IDW on one of the box sides though...

I have about 40 of the artist editions (yeah, I know...crazy). I use a Dymo Lectra Tag to make side labels. Pretty inexpensive device and the refill paper is really cheap (doesn't use ink...the paper reacts to the pressure). I've been using the device for about 15 years now. 

4E73A771-02A1-46F3-9406-719E3FB5589F.jpeg

65770989-AFC7-4E8B-9AD2-83965F6901D3.jpeg

On 1/25/2020 at 12:39 AM, J.Sid said:

An Artist Edition would be a great choice to get autographed...

I am selling a few for my friend and may buy the Marvel Covers AE (actually, yeah I just bought it) so that I can get it signed by Mike Mignola at an appearance coming up. I thought about it this morning and then seeing this, it is karma. Kismet. (One of my favorite issues of FF is a throwaway to most where someone, Kismet I think, is being told that Johnny Storm could easily be a great leader of the FF were he able to step out of Reed's shadow. I think it was Kismet. Maybe Her and Him?)

anyway AEs rock