• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for a particular comic book I read as a kid, with giant marionettes...

7 posts in this topic

Extreme newbie question, but here goes: I once received a comic book in the mid-1960s that had a lasting impression on me, and I'm trying to locate it again. It was from a series back then, a band of guys from I think either the civil war or WWII, and one was a muscle-bound cigar chomping guy (that's the only character I remember). In this particular comic, they came across a 15-foot tall marionette, made of wood and rope and they used that to fight off the bad guys. 

I don't have a lot more memories than that. Any clues where I could starting looking for this particular comic? Thank you. 

Welcome To The Boards.

Although I am not familiar with the book you are referring to there are lots of War Titles from the 50's/60's and here is some info that may help your search, hopefully somebody knows this book and will chime in. :wishluck:

http://www.coverbrowser.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_comics

https://www.cbr.com/16-best-war-comics/

Another list of War Comics...Captain America ComicsDon Winslow of the NavyMilitary ComicsSgt. Fury and his Howling CommandosOur Army at WarSgt. RockThe Unknown SoldierCombat Kelly and the Deadly DozenG.I. CombatStar Spangled War StoriesWeird War TalesWar is Hell

On 12/31/2019 at 9:37 PM, tuqqer said:

Extreme newbie question, but here goes: I once received a comic book in the mid-1960s that had a lasting impression on me, and I'm trying to locate it again. It was from a series back then, a band of guys from I think either the civil war or WWII, and one was a muscle-bound cigar chomping guy (that's the only character I remember). In this particular comic, they came across a 15-foot tall marionette, made of wood and rope and they used that to fight off the bad guys. 

I don't have a lot more memories than that. Any clues where I could starting looking for this particular comic? Thank you. 

You should post this in the War thread in this same forum... you may get your answer there. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 12/31/2019 at 6:37 PM, tuqqer said:

you could go to Mycomicshop.com and start looking at all the covers during the time period yoo remember , they have cover photo's of every comic , maybe the front cover will spark your memory....

cigar chomping soldier sound like Sgt Fury or Dum Dum

Sgt Fury and His Howling Commandos perhaps?

Try here https://www.comics.org - you can key in any comic book title and start from there.

Sometimes our memories play tricks on us and we blend things to come up with false memories.  When you mentioned marionettes, this cover came to mind.

Cover for Green Lantern (DC, 1960 series) #1

There's also Fantastic Four 8 and future issues that feature the Puppet Master - and the Thing did like cigars...

Edited by pemart1966