• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BEST OF 2019: BUDGET EDITION - Results Posted!
3 3

197 posts in this topic

For the 2020 edition, sales tax absolutely needs to be excluded from the cost criteria!!  Everybody pays BP, but not everybody pays sales tax (and certainly not in the same amount). #leveltheplayingfield

I was going to submit an entry or two but just missed the cut-off. :cry: 

45 minutes ago, eewwnuk said:

i think the all-in cost is a fair way of doing it.   as to whether its $350 or $500 its all the same as i'm sure we frugal fanatics will find pockets of inexpensive great art over the course of 2020.

Tax and shipping should absolutely be excluded. The art is the art and whatever surcharges and costs some will face to acquire the art will not be borne by everyone equally, if at all. 

34 minutes ago, vodou said:

Nope -all in. Sorry if you live in the wrong place :)

If I pay $750 for someone from Italy to hand deliver a $100 page, it's a $100 page, not an $850 page. 

I know this may seem like nit-picking to some, but, we should have logical consistency here. When we look at comps in the HA archive, we don't add tax and shipping and insurance and gas costs to pick it up or whatever else to the price. Many people (e.g., dealers) do not pay sales tax. A $500 page is not a $545 page just because I bought it instead of Vodou (no sales tax jurisdiction) or a dealer (reseller exemption). 

Hammer and BP, yes. Any other costs, no. It's intellectually dishonest otherwise, and also a blatantly obvious unfair advantage for a participant who can buy more art for the same money just by virtue of their zip code; how this wrongness can be codified into "rules" is just baffling. :sumo:

Edited by delekkerste

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

If I pay $750 for someone from Italy to hand deliver a $100 page, it's a $100 page, not an $850 page. 

I hope that's not the math you used to "only" lose 90% on your consignments ;)

j/k (of course)

But no...your total cost basis is what we're doing here, unless BCarter27 says different (and then I'll be :( )

That is the math I use with the iRS...including proportional division (against purchase price) of shipping on packages with multiple pieces inside...hope everyone else does too.

lol

1 hour ago, vodou said:

I hope that's not the math you used to "only" lose 90% on your consignments ;)

j/k (of course)

But no...your total cost basis is what we're doing here, unless BCarter27 says different (and then I'll be :( )

That is the math I use with the iRS...including proportional division (against purchase price) of shipping on packages with multiple pieces inside...hope everyone else does too.

lol

It makes no sense to have an uneven playing field in a showcase where there is voting involved. :screwy:  

A piece shouldn't be eligible if bought by you at $475, but not be eligible if bought by me at $475 + tax.  This type of discrimination is so un-2020. #EqualityForAll #EqualAccess #NoDiscrimination 

And, needless to say, we ain't the IRS here. :sumo: 

Edited by delekkerste

Yeah. I'm with Gene on this. The agreed upon sales price (which would include Buyers premium at an auction house) should be the cut off number. Shipping and tax should not be counted. Besides, we 're all on the honor system here anyway. How is anyone supposed to enforce these rules? Make the rules simple.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

WTB: Jim Lee X-Men, Batman covers for $499.99, willing to pay up to $250k additional for shipping/handling/insurance/tax and any applicable currency exchange surcharge any party might ever be responsible for now and in perpetuity.

;)

3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

A piece shouldn't be eligible if bought by you at $475, but not be eligible if bought by me at $475 + tax

I appreciate all of your passionate lobbying, gentle-beings. The BEAB (Budget Edition Advisory Board) will certainly take all of these things under advisement.

d310q5M.jpg.b81752c24a72cdc39cb00a52d25ef9c7.jpg

My thought process was if you buy a bottle of Cisco and you know up front you're going to be charged sales tax, you factor that in. Tree-fiddy is your budget. That's it. You have to come in under that.

But if you think it's only going to cost you a bus ride to get back to the shanty town under the freeway, and THEN the bus breaks down and you gotta "work" your way back across town... well your costs of carry just went up. That's nobody's fault and has nothing to do with your ability to budget or your finely-tuned tastebuds and their appreciation of Cisco over, say... Thunderbird or C45.

But seriously... Why are we just talking auctions here? Dealing privately doesn't incur sales tax. Go out and buy that way and clean up during next year's awards! That's your way in people!

To balance the scales, shipping, packing, insurance, etc. are NOT factored in. I don't want to penalize our overseas collectors.

Edited by BCarter27

9 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Dealing privately doesn't incur sales tax.

Sure does for the buyer. It's the private seller than has no obligation to calculate, collect, and remit (yea, win for the little guy...finally!)

As a public service this is for Gene and Brandon, among others - https://www1.nyc.gov/site/finance/sheriff-courts/sheriff-tax-evasion-deed-fraud.page

The rest of you can look it up in your own state...or not care if you live in...New Hampshire lol