• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BEST OF 2019: BUDGET EDITION - Results Posted!
3 3

197 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Yeah. I'm with Gene on this. The agreed upon sales price (which would include Buyers premium at an auction house) should be the cut off number. Shipping and tax should not be counted. Besides, we 're all on the honor system here anyway. How is anyone supposed to enforce these rules? Make the rules simple.

Agreed. The point is to show off our successes with all things being equal. This isn’t a situation where we are looking for our cost basis for tax purposes so we can figure out a potential profit on sale.

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

with all things being equal

Non-existent in the real world, a philosophical conceit.

-just sayin' ;)

Addendum: For instance, by not living in/near a dense urban area with higher/hightest taxation (in part to keep the below average natives from getting too restless ;)) everything in the hobby for me (and others, similar locales) is: shipping, and likely at the higher/est rates too due to distance from hubs and trucks less than full for those routes. But on the flip side, by not ever paying any income tax or sales tax...I have that much more to spend in the hobby, all so I get rise to the top of the cheapskate frugal edition and win a not-even-a-no-prize :)

So, by all means let's work this out for: fairness lol

Edited by vodou
addendum

On 1/13/2020 at 1:18 PM, delekkerste said:

If I pay $750 for someone from Italy to hand deliver a $100 page, it's a $100 page, not an $850 page. 

I know this may seem like nit-picking to some, but, we should have logical consistency here. When we look at comps in the HA archive, we don't add tax and shipping and insurance and gas costs to pick it up or whatever else to the price. Many people (e.g., dealers) do not pay sales tax. A $500 page is not a $545 page just because I bought it instead of Vodou (no sales tax jurisdiction) or a dealer (reseller exemption). 

Hammer and BP, yes. Any other costs, no. It's intellectually dishonest otherwise, and also a blatantly obvious unfair advantage for a participant who can buy more art for the same money just by virtue of their zip code; how this wrongness can be codified into "rules" is just baffling. :sumo:

I agree because its simply more pragmatic, but couldn't care less.     

Shipping?   We're arguing over shipping?  Not... not, the art?   Not the art.    Not the art that we die for?   Shipping?  Shipping?????  We're talking about shipping?     C'mon man.

Edited by Bronty

2 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Shipping?   We're arguing over shipping?  Not... not, the art?   Not the art.    Not the art that we die for?   Shipping?  Shipping?????  We're talking about shipping? 

Thanks for proving my point - we should exclude shipping costs so we can just talk about the art.  

4 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Thanks for proving my point - we should exclude shipping costs so we can just talk about the art.  

Yeah.    Otherwise we just end up talking about shipping, sales taxes, and foreign exchange rates and fees.   Bleh.

9 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Yeah.    Otherwise we just end up talking about shipping, sales taxes, and foreign exchange rates and fees.   Bleh.

In my mind, having just sent out a $9,000 check...the oil was $1. Seeya for next year's edition :)

For the purposes of this event, if the art was acquired at a show, should the costs of attending the show be factored into the cost of the art?

Or if the art was picked up for us by a friend, should the Panera gift card we sent as a token of appreciation be added to the cost of the art?

Obviously, there are many more scenarios to consider beyond sales tax, shipping, exchange rates. Let's discuss them all!

(On an even more important note, I got shorted two votes.)

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

For the purposes of this event, if the art was acquired at a show, should the costs of attending the show be factored into the cost of the art?

Or if the art was picked up for us by a friend, should the Panera gift card we sent as a token of appreciation be added to the cost of the art?

Obviously, there are many more scenarios to consider beyond sales tax, shipping, exchange rates. Let's discuss them all!

(On an even more important note, I got shorted two votes.)

F**k it, let's cancel next year's competition unless we employ an accountant to figure-out all the money stuff . . . .

:jokealert:

Edited by The Voord

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

On an even more important note, I got shorted two votes.)

The BEAB takes any tallying discrepancies very seriously. We have conducted a full investigation and discovered the votes in question came in from one "lb jefferies" after the results were tallied-

image.png.b08fdb734472c3f18e11b29caf0dd433.png

It's too bad really. I was looking forward to firing the imbecile who miscounted. The BEAB doesn't need any FIFA-level scandals.

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

if the art was acquired at a show, should the costs of attending the show be factored into the cost of the art?

:rulez:

Convention entry fees are not relevant.

It's like nobody can even see me at all.

:sorry:

2 hours ago, The Voord said:

F**k it, let's cancel next year's competition unless we employ an accountant to figure-out all the money stuff . . . .

:jokealert:

I AM an accountant and I wouldn’t want to do the job 

Edited by Bronty

7 hours ago, Bronty said:

I agree because its simply more pragmatic, but couldn't care less.     

Shipping?   We're arguing over shipping?  Not... not, the art?   Not the art.    Not the art that we die for?   Shipping?  Shipping?????  We're talking about shipping?     C'mon man.

Not to belabor the discussion, but there are some rare instances on eBay where the price of the product is baked into an inflated shipping cost. It used to be a lot more common before eBay started taking fees out of shipping as well. Just an example of a scenario where extra costs could be considered part of the price of the piece. I'm sure there are more scenarios.

That said, that's all way too granular to worry about for this sort of thing. Post on the honor system and don't worry.