• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BEST OF 2019: BUDGET EDITION - Discussion Thread
1 1

42 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Carlo M said:

This budget edition is such a great idea.  I truly enjoyd going through th entries and was amazed by the quality.  Congrats to the buyers!

I not only agree, but want to add a more general observation.
There is a difference between great draftsmanship and great OA. The old “classics” artists could be great draftsman, but the way that storytelling existed constrained the OA. Too many 6 panel pages and text exposition, for example. Exceptions to the rule, like Eisner and Kirby, appear to have had more freedom in the storytelling aspect of OA. But with Adams, he blew open the doors on OA and page structure became much more interesting. Again, IMO, OA generally got much better. The result of this change has produced an overall increase in the raw quality of work— along with better pay, attracting more artists, and the rise of the independents, allowing for more experimentation and avenues for artists—leading to continued, excellent draftsmanship and OA. Which, taken together, makes me think that a lot of older art is overpriced if you strip out the nostalgia aspects and “early examples of” value to the art. Bottom line: the future is bright and getting brighter.

Edited by Rick2you2

I was really torn between these two - sketchbook published Sink at $300 or unpublished Sook at $150. Full disclosure, the Sink is on typing paper. I eventually went with the Sook just because it was so reasonably priced and I wanted to show the low end of the premium artist market. What do you guys think? 

F4CCB7E6-C676-41B9-91DA-AA42ABF50D16.jpeg

8C3DC0D6-293E-413C-8357-99EA07882225.jpeg

1 hour ago, dichotomy said:

I was really torn between these two - sketchbook published Sink at $300 or unpublished Sook at $150. Full disclosure, the Sink is on typing paper. I eventually went with the Sook just because it was so reasonably priced and I wanted to show the low end of the premium artist market. What do you guys think? 

F4CCB7E6-C676-41B9-91DA-AA42ABF50D16.jpeg

8C3DC0D6-293E-413C-8357-99EA07882225.jpeg

I prefer the Sook. I don’t care for the heavy inking, or making that particular character serious.

1 minute ago, BCarter27 said:

Should we cross-post a link over in Comics General to get more eyes on Budget Edition?

Naw... one of my threads was sent into CGC purgatory for cross-posting. lol  And that crowd tends to skew heavily supehero-lovin'.

I think our leading entry has something like 15+ votes, which seems aplenty!

If we are talking runners up, here are the ones that I thought about posting, but did not. The last two would have probably garnered more votes. I really like them and the Emma Kubert piece, but we could only post three. :)

Spoiler

Eily from Above the Clouds    Melissa Pagluica    Kickstarter    Commission    $0.00

image.png.e81776a4aad6fd0ebb5cab0dd4d3c50e.png

Eliza    Emma Kubert    Kickstarter    Commission    $55.00

image.png

Selina Kyle    Isaac Goodhart    Direct    Con Sketch    $60.00

image.png.bab4c4edd5cd259c06284d063833cef5.png

Batman and Bane    Nolan, Graham    Direct    Con Sketch    $200.00

image.png.f6cf0a75a12b5fb0c026cfb71708d6d6.png

Legion/LSH vs. Universo    John Watson    Direct    Commission    $450.00

image.png.23e5190156555b03b6e4c6f41291d85f.png

Legion/LSH (1989) #4 Cover Recreation (Mon-El, FYL)    Keith Giffen    Direct     Commission    $500.00 
image.png.ccc59f8d28e0ec3d263aa466c5620e99.png

It was a good year for nice pieces for not a lot of money - assuming you like con sketches and commissions.

Edited by alxjhnsn

So hard to pick just one piece.

I had two unpublished pieces I paid exactly zero dollars for that were contenders.

Bill Willingham-Saker from Elementals

and

Takeshi Miyazawa-A freshly drawn sketch cover 

5464.JPG

Capture6.JPG