• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE 2020 SKETCH COVER MEGA THREAD
14 14

1,163 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ivdyer said:

These cut-outs by Steve Reyes are a thing to behold.....

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be776170C68245-FD06-49ED-889B-350BD91D2871.thumb.jpeg.99b26307307aff3ce728afdba441c5f7.jpegAEF0CE18-B1E3-4A8C-A5FB-80B7C5A62F5B.thumb.jpeg.069e68e0c4d3e1aac0610338b763420e.jpeg7D2F6837-7521-4B20-AC50-5DBE08D0C50F.thumb.jpeg.20c421cf2e3f90a96bda17fb93411bd0.jpeg

These do look amazing,  but I am a little confused by these. So he cuts the images out of the existing covers, but the still grade universal 9.8? Kind of surprised as this technically removes parts of the cover , so shouldn't this get the dreaded Green/Yellow to be a 9.8 or take a grade hit for missing pieces of covers?

Again do not get me wrong , I do really think these are awesome. Congratulations!!

29 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

These do look amazing,  but I am a little confused by these. So he cuts the images out of the existing covers, but the still grade universal 9.8? Kind of surprised as this technically removes parts of the cover , so shouldn't this get the dreaded Green/Yellow to be a 9.8 or take a grade hit for missing pieces of covers?

Again do not get me wrong , I do really think these are awesome. Congratulations!!

Just my two cents, but perhaps they are counting it as abstract art. I wish I knew that CGC recognized this. I passed on a Scooby die cut cover a few months ago because I thought it would be a green hybrid book.

15 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

This is super perplexing to me... I wonder how/why CGC decided to go that route with the label?  They are DEFINITELY COOL and it's definitely an 'art form' in and of itself but actually troubling that CGC didn't go with a Qualified Label for these.  I also imagine, they could be very collectible for the art form/artist but not so much for the book itself anymore because it's cut up (just my opinion as I know to each his/her own).

I guess next time you submit a book with a coupon/piece missing have it signed by an artist and say it was done for artistic reasons and you are good to go.

Please no offense intended to the owner of these, I agree that they are very cool indeed but it really troubles me when so much effort goes into finding Universal 9.8's and they are giving basically the same grade to books with half the cover cut out.

9 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I thought the same but apparently CGC SS has changed its stance or at least for this artist as he is submitting these himself directly to CGC