• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Perfect Sized Collection
4 4

77 posts in this topic

So my family is considering a home-move, and it got me thinking ... even if I love all my books, and take time to organize them, is there a point when it is all "too much volume"? I'm thinking of loosing (selling) half of it during the move, so that the whole collection fits in a walk-in closet. So the question is: Even if the collection brings you joy, is there "too much of a good thing"?  

All depends on what your collecting goal is.  If you want a few short boxes of nosebleed books, fine.  If you want every appearance of Wonder Woman, fine.  If you want a library of all Marvel comics printed between 1961 and 1996, fine.  Whatever suits you.  If there's random junk you don't care about that doesn't fit with anything else you own, I'd consider thinning it out to your focus, especially before a move.  Just don't do it because of that "quality over quantity" garbage, that's usually based on the price tag, and not the actual books.

Keep what you want and like and burn the rest in a 55 gallon drum. (Actually my neighbors did this when I was a little kid according to my brother. They filled a 55 gallon drum with baseball cards and comic books and told the neighbor kids to come take what they wanted and then they burned what was left. This was about 1964. I think my brother got a few good baseball cards out of that stash, he was a big Mickey Mantle fan back then.) 

1871325924_55gallondrumfire.gif.37e2d6f400875e76617d138c86eca50a.gif

6 hours ago, cmixer said:

So my family is considering a home-move, and it got me thinking ... even if I love all my books, and take time to organize them, is there a point when it is all "too much volume"? I'm thinking of loosing (selling) half of it during the move, so that the whole collection fits in a walk-in closet. So the question is: Even if the collection brings you joy, is there "too much of a good thing"?  

I don’t believe in too much. I mostly collect GA. I’ve worked my SA/BA collection down to maybe 8 short boxes. I have WAY more GA. They are neat and well organized in magazine boxes. There pretty much isn’t a day when I don’t pull out a box or two and check them out or re-read some. All genres. I love them all. 

I have reached the point where I am maxed on space. I used to just get another box. I can’t add any more boxes. So if I want to add any ( and I still do), I have to part with some. 

I figure I could pretty easily sell off a third of my collection and not be heart broken and have started doing so. 

So collect the way you want. If you love all your books and can store them so that you can easily access them, do it. Everybody’s decision is personal.

6 hours ago, batman_fan said:

For me, the perfect sized collection would be around 1000 books, no more.  Quality of Quantity.

I agree. Everyone is different, but I stick pretty closely to the 1000 comic limit. Anything more than 10 shortboxes and I feel the need to cull the herd. 

Just now, october said:

I agree. Everyone is different, but I stick pretty closely to the 1000 comic limit. Anything more than 10 shortboxes and I feel the need to cull the herd. 

I think that is a good approach.  Small enough to go through in a reasonable amount of time to re-assess what you have and identify some gaps and stuff to let go.  I hope to get down to that level over the next few years.

I have a room containing my comic boxes. Once it reached capacity, I stopped buying physical copies.  Being clinically OCD, I dread becoming someone who has piles of hoarded books stacked high all over the house, and so that was my limit.

At least I can continue accumulating my reading material digitally.

Edited by Ken Aldred

There is a difference between a collection and a room full of clutter.  Only you will know the difference...

Ask yourself... would you rather have this... or that? 

I am asking myself this very question as I am walking around and opening boxes and collections and weighing in. 

22 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

There is a difference between a collection and a room full of clutter.  Only you will know the difference...

Ask yourself... would you rather have this... or that? 

I am asking myself this very question as I am walking around and opening boxes and collections and weighing in. 

I don't think I have crossed that boundary yet.

IMG_3326.jpg

2 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

You do know that is the "after" picture :whatthe:

I was going to post the Rick and Morty... Get your S together clip... but I don't feel like the mods giving me a banhammer for a day or two not realizing it was a joke. 

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

If you are referencing the large black book, that is my PhD dissertation.  Maybe you have finally found a practical use for it hm

Hahaha, what's it in?

My cousin got one in French war history lol

I thought for sure it would be useless, until he got a job at an army base ha!

So far everything has fit under my twin-sized bed over the 6 years I've collected. Though if you're happy with what you have and enjoy it, I don't see why you'd need to get rid of some of your comics. Though I do understand the thought of moving and parting with some comics, depending on the house you're moving to and the space in it. 

Edited by BigDaddy1

7 hours ago, cmixer said:

No.  If I've got the space then my collection will fit regardless of how many books I really like.