• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Perfect Sized Collection
4 4

77 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I am jealous, having a manageable collection like the is pretty attractive.

Ya, but that means I slab things that dont necessarily need to be lol

When my modern sub comes tomorrow feel free to laugh WITH me ha!

Bronze 30 cent variants that come back 6.5 or modern Newsstand that are 5.5 etc ;)

Some are just tokens of $1 box finds, when the thrill of the hunt was on, but I'm still proud of them!

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ya, but that means I slab things that dont necessarily need to be lol

When my modern sub comes tomorrow feel free to laugh WITH me ha!

Bronze 30 cent variants that come back 6.5 or modern Newsstand that are 5.5 etc ;)

Some are just tokens of $1 box finds, when the thrill of the hunt was on, but I'm still proud of them!

Ultimately that is what collecting is all about.  Picking up stuff you like.  The books in your sig line are pretty awesome looking !

1 minute ago, ISureAm said:

A 1,000 comic collection is way too small for someone who reads them and gets new books every week.

Depending on how many titles you buy per week, it can add up quick.  That is how I ended up with over 10,000 comics.

I had a collection of 6 large boxes and a handful of short boxes.  Lots of full runs of 80s and 90s marvel and a few boxes of keys. 

In 2012 my wife and I had our first son and owned a very small house in the greater Boston area. I ended up selling everything except the keys and thought my collecting days were over. 

Shortly after I started having withdrawls. There were a few runs I missed,  but I mostly missed collecting. 

But my tastes had changed. I got really into GA WWII, then transitioned into PCH, mystery / SyFy... anything LB Cole. 

Then the coolest thing happened. My 5 year old (now 7 year old) son fell in love with comics. He of course loves the superheroes so now I'm collecting primarily silver age heros. 

So to answer your question,  the right size collection has changed for me allot as my priorities in life have changed. At 22 my goal was to have every comic silver surfer or punisher ever appeared in. At 30 I had less than 40 comics and at 37 my son and I collect with wreckless abandon,  no real plan and rotate through 2 small boxes and probably 30 to 40 slabbed books. 

I have 9 short boxes, not full, in a closet. My goal is not to exceed that. I’ve cracked most of my slabbed books and have only one box of comics still in slabs. Defining my collecting focus was an expensive and wasteful process, and now I have a much better sense of what really intrigues me. I ask myself a few questions when I have the impulse to buy something: would I rather spend the same money on a different comic if it were in front of me? does this help me complete the few runs I’m pursuing? does this fit my collecting focus on specific artists or writers? Just pausing to ask those questions helps me avoid impulse buys.

11 hours ago, Jaylam said:

Keep what you want and like and burn the rest in a 55 gallon drum. (Actually my neighbors did this when I was a little kid according to my brother. They filled a 55 gallon drum with baseball cards and comic books and told the neighbor kids to come take what they wanted and then they burned what was left. This was about 1964. I think my brother got a few good baseball cards out of that stash, he was a big Mickey Mantle fan back then.) 

1871325924_55gallondrumfire.gif.37e2d6f400875e76617d138c86eca50a.gif

Well, it that little bonfire was burning way back in 1964, my thinking is that there's most probably some baseball cards and comic books in that drum that would have been worth a bit of money nowadays.  hm  doh!

I have things neatly organized but I am looking and thinking that between a couple of different hobbies, I have way too much.  When I get home I have to post a pic of the Lego storage room.  doh!

I used to own roughly half a dozen long boxes full of comics (mostly Bronze and Copper DCs and Marvels), and that was way too many comics for me. I sold most of those books to a comic shop for ten cents apiece back in the early 90s.  (If only I could have foreseen eBay and slabbing . . ..)

I have no interest in building runs, so for me two or three short boxes-worth of comics would be plenty.

I saw a mouse in my house the other day, and that scared me into deciding to slab even my low-dollar value books (with the exception of truly worthless reading copies), so the small number of books that I have will soon be taking up more space than they used to. (I really wish the new slabs weren't so thick.)

Edited by jimbo_7071

22 hours ago, cmixer said:

So my family is considering a home-move, and it got me thinking ... even if I love all my books, and take time to organize them, is there a point when it is all "too much volume"? I'm thinking of loosing (selling) half of it during the move, so that the whole collection fits in a walk-in closet. So the question is: Even if the collection brings you joy, is there "too much of a good thing"?  

Moderation is your friend.

You can eat "too much" food, have "too much" sex, and definitely own "too many" comics.