• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Perfect Sized Collection
4 4

77 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, ISureAm said:

A 1,000 comic collection is way too small for someone who reads them and gets new books every week.

I guess the idea is to constantly cull what you don't want to keep.

I've decided on 50 for my personal collection.
How I came to that was simply based on my father passing in October 2018 and having to handle the moving / removal / donating / selling of not only the things he collected but the things my grandparents collected too.
I decided then and there that I had to pare down and prepare my collection for my eventual passing.
So over 2019 I donated / sold half of my total collection with the end goal being at 10% sold each year going forward.

8 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I think someone on the boards, @oakman29 maybe, buys one comic a year for his personal collection. That appeals to me but I don't think I have that kind of willpower. 

Yeah 1 big key. I buy many of my Warren horror books.

I am waaaaay over a thousand books. To hell with my family, they can figure it out when I'm gone.

Edited by oakman29

21 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Yeah 1 big key. I buy many of my Warren horror books.

I am waaaaay over a thousand books. To hell with my family, they can figure it out when I'm gone.

How does the process work? A nice key comes along, you jump on it, then cut yourself off for the rest of the year? Or you save up your money and go in search of that key? Genuinely curious. 

1 hour ago, FineCollector said:

That was going to be my question.  How many of you guys have a few short boxes in your collection, but have a garage full of drek to sell?

I used to buy all the time, but my wife and I adopted two boys( brothers)

Now 10 & 6. So I still wanted to build up my collection,  but now with 2 boys it's much harder. They do come first.

So now I focus and save up for one 1 big key a year,  a planned for key.

I do however buy smaller stuff all year.

Edited by oakman29
Oops quoted the wrong guy Ryan

21 hours ago, batman_fan said:

It is tequila I made.  Each jar is a slice of the alcohol through the distillation process.  It was made legally.  I had a DSP at the time.

hm Sounds like something someone making ILLEGAL tequila would say. Book 'em, boys!

22 hours ago, ISureAm said:

Way more than 1,000. Four long boxes is 1,000 comics. You "1,000" guys are telling me you don't have room for more than 4 long boxes? Or is this one of those fake OCD things?

My ideal weight is 185. Needless to say I am far above that.

I moved this summer and had 114 long boxes. Started collecting in 1967 and still do. Definitely time to thin the herd way down and make some life changes when it comes to collecting.

2 minutes ago, mbv said:

I moved this summer and had 114 long boxes. Started collecting in 1967 and still do. Definitely time to thin the herd way down and make some life changes when it comes to collecting.

A big incentive for my sell down was the move to our new house almost a year ago. Less to haul, and needed the $.

Can't imagine moving 114 long boxes!

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

A big incentive for my sell down was the move to our new house almost a year ago. Less to haul, and needed the $.

Can't imagine moving 114 long boxes!

I did that with my hardback collection. I've been a lifelong reader and have two degrees in literature. And if I read something, I wanted a copy, particularly a hard cover if possible. We moved states, so I sold my books to a thriving used bookstore in a two-university town. And I regret it to this day. Just like I regret selling that FF 48 and the IH 181 and the HFH 1 and the list goes on and on...

20 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I used to have two pallets of long boxes. Now I’m down to this, and I’m enjoying my collection even more.

9D7180B4-1BA8-400A-9228-EA262A628CCE.thumb.jpeg.e3179f2fb9c6bdbe8b027f425c59502a.jpeg
There’s even an empty or two in there.

Love the "Comic Land" poster. I believe that Robert Beerbong made those up years ago.

On 1/2/2020 at 7:08 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I used to own roughly half a dozen long boxes full of comics (mostly Bronze and Copper DCs and Marvels), and that was way too many comics for me. I sold most of those books to a comic shop for ten cents apiece back in the early 90s.  (If only I could have foreseen eBay and slabbing . . ..)

I have no interest in building runs, so for me two or three short boxes-worth of comics would be plenty.

I saw a mouse in my house the other day, and that scared me into deciding to slab even my low-dollar value books (with the exception of truly worthless reading copies), so the small number of books that I have will soon be taking up more space than they used to. (I really wish the new slabs weren't so thick.)

Clean up your house and get a cat...  (shrug)