• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie question about verification

11 posts in this topic

The quick version is does CGC verify the authenticity of signatures and/or sketch art when they grade?

Forgive me if this has been asked. I've only been casually involved with comics for my life, mostly focused on a few select titles. Spawn in particular, was my favorite and I recently decided to resume my collection. 

Anyway, I recently purchased a CGC graded sketch issue,  item #1592353001. If it's real, it would be a fantastic get for my collection but I'm having doubts. Plus, when I looked it up, it didn't have the sketch on it in your database, but only showed the blank cover, but did have the proper description. Is that something I should be worried about?

Thanks so much for your time. Screenshot_20200101-120939_eBay.thumb.jpg.91f8e3f9e681abfc3533d9a22c307267.jpg

Edited by Biggest

On 1/1/2020 at 12:15 PM, Biggest said:

The quick version is does CGC verify the authenticity of signatures and/or sketch art when they grade?

Forgive me if this has been asked. I've only been casually involved with comics for my life, mostly focused on a few select titles. Spawn in particular, was my favorite and I recently decided to resume my collection. 

Anyway, I recently purchased a CGC graded sketch issue,  item #1592353001. If it's real, it would be a fantastic get for my collection but I'm having doubts. Plus, when I looked it up, it didn't have the sketch on it in your database, but only showed the blank cover, but did have the proper description. Is that something I should be worried about?

Thanks so much for your time. Screenshot_20200101-120939_eBay.thumb.jpg.91f8e3f9e681abfc3533d9a22c307267.jpg

To answer your question, your book is authentic.  CGC is the only grading company which requires a "witness" of a signature.  The only way to get a yellow label (Signature Series) is if the signature is witnessed by an authorized CGC witness.  In addition the signed comic must never leave CGC's possession until the comic has been graded.  This is their way of guaranteeing 100% authenticity.  If a book with a signature is sent to them they will not authenticate the signature.  They don't want to be in the business of authenticating signatures.  Thats a sweet book btw! 

Nothing to worry about. This is a blank sketch cover that has custom art on it and a Todd signature.

You can see lots of sketch covers here: 

As long as the pickup/signature was witnessed by CGC its legit and will have the yellow label.

On 1/2/2020 at 12:41 PM, comicquant said:

To answer your question, your book is authentic.  CGC is the only grading company which requires a "witness" of a signature.  The only way to get a yellow label (Signature Series) is if the signature is witnessed by an authorized CGC witness.  In addition the signed comic must never leave CGC's possession until the comic has been graded.  This is their way of guaranteeing 100% authenticity.  If a book with a signature is sent to them they will not authenticate the signature.  They don't want to be in the business of authenticating signatures.  Thats a sweet book btw! 

Thank you. I was already a big fan of Francesco Mattina. So to get this one of a kind has become a centerpiece of my collection. 

dont know much about modern books... but I am kind of surprised Todd Signed this did he have anything to do with Edge of Venomverse? As he usually doesn't sign stuff he didn't work on.

On 1/1/2020 at 11:15 AM, Biggest said:

Screenshot_20200101-120939_eBay.thumb.jpg.91f8e3f9e681abfc3533d9a22c307267.jpg

Cool book! You can tell based on the dates that McFarlane signed first it's lucky he signed low.

For the big 2020 signing event he just did, I saw a lot of blank books come out with massive signatures right in the middle of the blank. 

On 2/5/2020 at 9:46 AM, Krismusic said:

kind of surprised Todd Signed this did he have anything to do with Edge of Venomverse? As he usually doesn't sign stuff he didn't work on.

He clarified this ahead of the big 2020 signing event, but he signs just about anything Venom because it's a character he created. And he'll sign just about anything he's done art in, even if it's obscure. He doesn't sign spoof covers and a handful of books for personal reasons. More info- https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/7862/ 

It is interesting because in 2017 the only Spawn blanks were the 265s and the Mexican 240 (now we have Spawn Kills Everyone Too, Spawn 300, and Spawn 301)

8 hours ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

He clarified this ahead of the big 2020 signing event, but he signs just about anything Venom because it's a character he created. And he'll sign just about anything he's done art in, even if it's obscure. He doesn't sign spoof covers and a handful of books for personal reasons. More info- https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/7862/ 

It is interesting because in 2017 the only Spawn blanks were the 265s and the Mexican 240 (now we have Spawn Kills Everyone Too, Spawn 300, and Spawn 301)

thanks for the info.