• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2020
1 1

670 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2020 at 5:33 PM, AlexH said:

Yup. In two very cheap bundles over the last year you could’ve put together a more-or-less complete run, apart from the Cerebus issue, # 10.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 to 12

American Flagg The Definitive Collection. (Digital Humble Bundle)

The first few issues contain excellent world building, great artistic design from Chaykin, but the stories start to wane very quickly and become quite pedestrian compared to the energy at the start.  The series does contain some components that are quite relevant to today, but there’s a bit of a dated tone to Flagg himself, the level of promiscuity, and that there’s a lot included for blatant shock value. The Shadow series that Chaykin created at DC was good, but when I read the follow-up Blackhawk series back in the 80s there was the realisation that his male protagonists are extremely similar and there’s a very repetitive formula in operation in his stories, dialogue and attitudes.

American Flagg’s worth a read, but in retrospect I leave it thinking that it was hyped a bit too much back in the day.

Edited by Ken Aldred

13 to 24

Dreadstar Omnibus Vol 1

Digital version from Dynamite Humble Bundle

First 12 issues of the Marvel Epic comic series.

Very consistent storytelling and art by Jim Starlin; the classic rebel / freedom fighter trope, here against two galactic empires representing a separation of Church (The Instrumentality) and State (The Monarchy), and the beginning of a struggle to bring their 200-year-long conflict to an end.

Definitely a page-turner.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

13 to 24

Dreadstar Omnibus Vol 1

Digital version from Dynamite Humble Bundle

First 12 issues of the Marvel Epic comic series.

Very consistent storytelling and art by Jim Starlin; the classic rebel / freedom fighter trope, here against two galactic empires representing a separation of Church (The Instrumentality) and State (The Monarchy), and the beginning of a struggle to bring their 200-year-long conflict to an end.

Definitely a page-turner.

I always enjoyed Dreadstar, despite the terrible costume and sword.

38-47

Maxx vs Batman 1-3.   I was so excited to see this on the rack.   I haven’t been up to date on a lot of modern happenings, so seeing Sam Keith throw these two characters together was pretty exciting.   The story was definitely a Maxx story co starring Batman, but that’s all good.   I didn’t realize there are a few more issues left in the series though so will have to be on the hunt for them as my flcbs doesn’t have them.

America 1-5, 7, 8:    Was going to wait until I had 1-10 to read this, but decided to give it a go before then.   I’m not too sure how I felt about this read.   I think America Chavez is an interesting character design and has some really cool covers, but I am not sure if I like her personality.  Granted, I’m not overly familiar with her character, having only read her in the vengeance mini series.  I also felt the story was all over the place and really over the top.  Not that I typically have a problem with that style of storytelling but based on the look of the covers and character, I was expecting more street level style heroics.  I guess it worked though, because I do want to read more, just to see how the story will progress.  

DC6DF370-3262-4EFA-BB30-8E0507E8BF02.jpeg

E4B0C557-A551-4298-9C80-46694B41D9D9.jpeg

I just started Superior Spider-Man #1-33 & Annual 1 and 4 issues in I am loving it.

I am going to start Tokyo Ghost Vol 1 & 2 sometime in the next few days as well.

I was thinking about rereading Bendis' New Avengers run but I shot that down because I feel I need to stick with stuff I haven't read yet. I just finished Asgardians of the Galaxy which I thought was 'meh' as well as the Donny Cates Guardians of the Galaxy which I also though was just 'eh.' Avengers is just sort of there despite Blade and Ghost Rider being in the mix....was hoping for more. I loved Domino but haven't read Hot Shots yet. We'll see how it is. I sat down and read House of X and Powers of X a few weeks ago and I really have enjoyed it a lot. I had some issues but I generally enjoy most everything Hickman writes. Read X-Men #1 and it was cool.

I read V-WARS Vol 1 & 2 which was a great primer for the Netflix series...I give both GN's high marks.

And in the middle of all of this reading new stuff I went back and read Avengers 161-191 again. Such a high point for this series. The Byrne issues, Nefaria Sage the Korvak issues, The Wundergore storyline....just great stuff that will never get old.