• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2020
1 1

670 posts in this topic

Haven't had much time so far. The only comics I've been reading are the Fantagraphics collections of Floyd Gottfredson Mickey Mouse strips. I like to unwind right before bed with some classic Carl Barks Duck books, but I'm all caught up on those, so I've moved back to the Gottfredson Mouse stuff. At any rate, I've finished a couple of collections, but they're strips, not comic books, and I don't know how to count them towards a total, so I guess they don't count at all!

SO, to that end, the first and only comics I've read so far: The DCEased hardcover collection, which I believe collects 7 issues (a six issue mini and a one-shot/special).

I knocked that out in about 45 minutes last night.

My review?

notgreatbob.gif

Edited by F For Fake

Parker Vol 1 : The Hunter (ComiXology digital edition)

First in a series of four crime noir novels, brilliantly adapted by Darwyn Cooke, whose artwork is a perfect match for the subject matter and 60s period. Short, but excellent.

74-77 

God Hates Astronauts (kickstarter Editon and not just a kickstarter Editon its the “ Bram Raimis Edgar Allen Lovethulu Spooktacular Editon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Im counting this as 4 issues. This was great the 2nd time through!!! I backed this project on Kickstarter back in 2013 read it loved it! I bought the entire one through 10 image series but never read it… That’s what I will be reading next!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Progress: 26/1,000

I ended up reading nothing in January, but made some strides today.

• Hellboy: The Crooked Man #1
  • Jimmy Olsen #142
  • Suoerman Vol. 3 #32
  • Batman '66 #1
  • Batman (Rebirth) #1
  • Star Wars (2015) #1

Nothing of note to say regarding the above.

• Batman: Black & White #2 (22 mini-issues)

The artwork is 50/50 good and lackluster. Nothing memorable outside of Ross' (and a few others') illustrations and a "POOP POOP POOP" sound effect...

Progress: 52/1,000

• Bruce Wayne: Fugitive (6 titles; 18 issues)
  • Batman: Damned (3 issues)
  • Superman: Year One (3 issues)

Fugitive is drawn-out and lackluster story-wise. Some very odd anatomical drawing choices at times - but I think that most of the artwork is on the 'good' side. The Batgirl issues, in particular, are hideous and poorly-written. The entire thing should've been wrapped-up in half as many issues. IIRC, the Nightwing cover is absolutely gorgeous.

Batman: Damned was a re-read. Mediocre story - just as I remembered. Artwork still takes getting used to.

Superman: Year One. Well, issue #1 was a huge drag about halfway through. The artwork was 'meh' and the story was written like absolute garbage. So inconsistent. A couple of panels of good staging and then it seemed like someone without a brain took over. How is the dialogue and narration so inconsistent!? The back-half was good, though. I was hoping for less Kid Kent, though, and more adolescent stuff. Now, issues #2 and #3 are very good IMO. The artwork is great and the storytelling follows that lead. However...

"The Earth farts"...

:roflmao:

I thoroughly enjoyed the last 2 issues of this mini-series.

I bought a good amount of single issues and tpbs recently and thus far have read:

Gideon Falls vol. 1 - an unusual mystery that I am liking. Will be getting the rest of the series.

Huck 1-6 - delightfully quirky with a nice twist.

Big Man Plans 1-4 - a tough read, not for everyone. But a good revenge story.

All Star Superman tpb - interesting take on the Man of Steel.

Chew vol. 1 - liked it so much I already ordered the rest of the series! Offbeat and funny!

Now that I'm at my PC and not my phone, I wanted to add some commentary. What's become apparent to me--and maybe I'm lucky with the titles I've been picking--is how much many comic creators are aware of the history of their characters. The Archie Vs. Predator II books are entirely about the new and old Archie characters interacting. Jimmy Olsen is riffing off the history of the Olsen and Luthor families, and having a wild time with cartooning and the mystery format. Freedom Fighters updates this team of heroes to an alt history where "Ratzis" won WW II, which clearly explores the rise of white nationalism in our politics. Hawkman is a refreshing take on Hawkman's bloody past and efforts at redemption, much better than the old "Secret War on Earth" narrative that writers from earlier generations hung onto. Olympia is an explicit homage to Kirby, and the issue above namedrops Spiegalman, Toth, and others. Black Terror, yes that one, is about a hero who was essentially brainwashed into forgetting his identity, recovers that identity, and runs afoul of the powers that would suppress him and other heroes. And if you like classic Conan, then you should definitely get a thrill from this series; the issue above concludes the first story arc of this title.

So for any naysayers who reflexively pooh pooh modern comics, pluck a few titles off the shelf. Contemporary writers clearly love the past world of comics. Look a little deeper than the mainstay titles of the publishers. X-Men is always going to be milked for sales to the broadest audience, but these b-list titles are good stuff. Plus, support the artists! Don't bemoan the fate of the industry when you don't support it. There: soapbox complete. :) 

On 1/31/2020 at 11:38 PM, Raze said:

74-77 

God Hates Astronauts (kickstarter Editon and not just a kickstarter Editon its the “ Bram Raimis Edgar Allen Lovethulu Spooktacular Editon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Im counting this as 4 issues. This was great the 2nd time through!!! I backed this project on Kickstarter back in 2013 read it loved it! I bought the entire one through 10 image series but never read it… That’s what I will be reading next!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Really loved this series. I haven't held onto many moderns, but I kept all of these that I bought directly from Ryan Browne, which he signed, plus the sketch cover, Blast Furnace, etc. Great stuff.

Read Batman: Damned last night. Artwork is lovely but the story is trying a little too hard to be edgy, which is par for the course with Azzarello IMO. Add three more to my tally! 

2 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I've been reading regular books too much, as in close to 2,000 pages since the start of the year. It's a hard choice, books or comics.

No such thing!

I'm a simpleton, though. It's difficult for a book to keep me entertained. It's why I've historically only read philosophy and encyclopedias. I read for entertainment or information.

48-110

I had a few days off of work due to a sick kid so I used my down time to get back on pace with my reading.   

Finished the Dark Knights Metal series.   I am a fan of Scott Snyder’s work with bats and I really enjoyed the dark multiverse tales, I am not a huge fan of Batman as a cosmic level crisis hero.  I enjoy the Detective/protector of Gotham much more.  

I then dug into the Champions.   Of the stuff I read recently, this was definitely my favorite. Back in the 90’s, the New Warriors were my favorite read and the Champions definitely felt similar in many ways.  I need to finish up the series and hunt down the new one.   

I also time traveled back to the 90’s with the two Spawn Crossovers.   I was pretty disappointed by the WildCats crossover as the dialogue was 90’s image at it’s worst.  Surprising because I was expecting more from Moore, but I guess it was just a paycheck. The art was also really inconsistent.  Pinup scenes were pretty well done, but quality went down as the panel count went up. Medieval Witchblade was much more “fun” nineties.   I enjoy Peterson’s art and Ennis usually entertains. Was much more of what I was looking for out of the two series.

Savage Avengers, and Spidergwen are both subscriptions and I am enjoying them so far.   Not much to talk about, just fun reads.  

Finally I was able to get to the Vamps minis.  Again, some vintage 90’s vampire books. They’ve been in my queue for a while so I was glad to finally get to them.   The art was very Vertigo style and worked with the story. There was some odd choices made with the storytelling which could make following along difficult, but I just rolled with it and accepted it for what it was.

With all of this, I am back on track to reach 1000 comics read this year.   Going on a comics crawl this weekend and will hopefully finish up some runs so that I can finally read a few that i’ve been holding off on.

3899D0E6-2F2A-4AEA-8FB6-795172942CBF.jpeg

4AD4103F-A18C-46E4-AFA4-2CD11CB60310.jpeg

9BE554C3-885A-4DFA-931E-EE20238967CD.jpeg

08196E1E-3D1C-47F9-B5AD-D1002F3EB458.jpeg

C9CC99D4-404C-494E-90A0-BF374AAB8470.jpeg

Reading over 100 issues of Usagi Yojimbo comics in a month has burned me out a bit.  Taking a break.

But I have been reading some classic comics...

Flash 123 - timeless GA/SA DC crossover comic that I'd never read before.

Adventure 247 - another SA DC classic that I'd never read before.

And finally the early Moon Knight appearances (WWBN 32-33 and Marvel Spotlight 28-29).  Way too 70s but an interesting read.

8 hours ago, Norinn Radd said:

Reading over 100 issues of Usagi Yojimbo comics in a month has burned me out a bit.  Taking a break.

Yeah I felt the same way when I read the Batman "Year" Books. I know it NOT 100 Plus of the same but even the 15 or so I needed a brake.