• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2020
1 1

670 posts in this topic

111-116

Sidekick 1-6.    I’ve been sitting on this for a while as I was missing #2.   I finally got it and sat down last night to read it.   I like JMS’s writing and thought this was a good read.   It’s a Dark superhero tale that really Hits the right notes.   Somewhat corny, almost too edgy, and sadly humorous, I consumed it pretty quickly.  Now I need to complete the run.  

BC4D687A-208F-4E87-A4F4-15B0CDBD76B0.jpeg

26 to 38

Bloodshot Deluxe Edition Vol 1, containing issues 1 to 13 of the Valiant Entertainment first series. (Humble Bundle digital version)

Good, but very derivative; the military super soldier with enhanced healing ability, strength and speed, who’s been given false memories and is basically on a road trip to discover his real memories and identity.  Interesting ideas in places, especially the way he communicates with the control system for his nanotech.  Extremely violent, more so than the 90s series.  Quite decompressed storytelling, patchy artwork by Manuel Garcia and Barry Kitson.

Progress: 66/1,000

This weekend:

• The Killing Joke
  • Justice League Vol. 2 #0-12

Both Absolute Edition re-reads. I was gonna re-watch Joker, and read The Killing Joke again just to have fresh reference of any parallels, but that didn't happen. Easily one of my favorite graphic novels of all-time. I love the artwork for the New 52 JL and really enjoy the lead-in to Darkseid. I remember reading the whole series a few years ago in preparation for Worlds of DC's Justice League (since the cinematic universe derives from this volume in particular).

I haven't posted much, but I have read the following since my last update:

Spawn #1-26 (minus one issue)  Boy the 90's were bad :devil:

Swamp Thing #1-4 (original series)  I'm surprised I haven't read these sooner. 

Gideon Falls #1-11  Really weird. But a good weird. 

42/1000

Edited by AlexH

5 hours ago, AlexH said:

42/1000

I started Gideon Falls (1 - 6)...is it worth getting the rest or does it fall apart?  (No pun intended! 9_9)

Frontline Combat 1...Finally!!! Ive missed 2-3 copies of this issue in the last year and found this on ebay last week sooooo I got it!

The O.P. story was really good but the overall book wasn't the best.

I also think this is the only GA book any of us (in this thread) has read yet...I think lol 

Scan 2020-2-10 22.06.18.jpg

Edited by Raze

15 hours ago, AlexH said:

42/1000

Whaaaaaaaaaat!?

:ohnoez:

8 hours ago, Raze said:

Frontline Combat 1...Finally!!! Ive missed 2-3 copies of this issue in the last year and found this on ebay last week sooooo I got it!

The O.P. story was really good but the overall book wasn't the best.

I also think this is the only GA book any of us (in this thread) has read yet...I think lol 

Scan 2020-2-10 22.06.18.jpg

I've read every issue of Frontline Combat and Two-Fisted Tales, just not this year.

My all-time favourite war comics.  Superb writing and artwork throughout.

39 to 44

The Comic Book History of Comics (digital collection of issues 1 to 6) , written by Fred Van Lente

Fascinating and educational. You’ll learn a lot.  Covers pretty much every significant development from the Platinum Age through to the underground and relevance period of the late 60s to early 70s.

Just read:

Zombie vs Robots vs Amazons (hard cover anthology) - really liked the art work of Ashley Wood.  The story line is a bit out there, very post apocalyptic with robots and Amazon babes fighting zombies.  Strange and unusual!

Infinity Gauntlet tpb (inc. issues 1 - 6) - I did not read the series before seeing the Avenger movies so I wanted to see how different it was.  I loved it, very well done and entertaining!  Starling's writing was excellent as was Perez's artwork.  Thanos was actually crazier in this!

13 hours ago, s-man said:

Just read:

Zombie vs Robots vs Amazons (hard cover anthology) - really liked the art work of Ashley Wood.  The story line is a bit out there, very post apocalyptic with robots and Amazon babes fighting zombies.  Strange and unusual!

Infinity Gauntlet tpb (inc. issues 1 - 6) - I did not read the series before seeing the Avenger movies so I wanted to see how different it was.  I loved it, very well done and entertaining!  Starling's writing was excellent as was Perez's artwork.  Thanos was actually crazier in this!

That's too bad! Better late than never, though.

I always find that reading the related source material enhances the films a lot - despite being very different. Example: "I had a bad day" in Joker. Casual audiences may not understand, but that's all it takes to make the Joker, per The Killing Joke. Might be my favorite line of the movie.

When Ebony Maw spoke, line-for-line, Mephisto's opening dialogue (in the comics) in the Infinity War movie... My lord. That was :censored:ing amazing.

Personal running list:

46/1000

Contest of Champions tpb

Chew tpb 1

Gideon Falls tpb 1

Huck 1-6

Big Man Plans 1-4

All Star Superman tpb 1

Zombies vs Robots vs Amazons complete

Infinity Gauntlet tpb