• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2020
1 1

670 posts in this topic

117-128

Avengers Forever 1-12

Found this trade for three bucks and since I’ve been wanting to reread this, it was worth the price to not have to hunt down the series in my boxes of stuff.    I remember really enjoying this series, but didn’t remember it being so wordy.   I like the team composition and it accomplished its task.   Glad I snagged it

8A75D5CC-13D7-4451-8FF0-0019828EEE3C.jpeg

45 to 51

The Death of Jean DeWolff (ComiXology Edition)

Contains Spectacular Spider-Man 107 to 110, and 134 to 136

Something I never read back in the 80s, with average art by Rich Buckler and Sal Buscema, but which has a much more engaging look as a digital remaster than when it was originally presented on dull newsprint.  I now often find I discover overlooked gems this way.

The first story is basically a street level murder mystery, about the identity of a killer called the Sin Eater, and the contrasting attitudes of Spider-Man and Daredevil, together with a look at the psychological issues of the villain. Really excellent, early career writing from  Peter David.

The second story is not considered as strong, but it’s still quality, primarily focusing on the physical consequences of guilt, and with a downer ending.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 3:26 PM, s-man said:

Personal running list:

60/1000

Contest of Champions tpb

Chew tpb 4

Gideon Falls tpb 1

Huck 1-6

Big Man Plans 1-4

All Star Superman tpb 1

Zombies vs Robots vs Amazons complete

Infinity Gauntlet tpb

So I've read through Chew tpb 4 and can't put this run down!  Loving it enough to buy a piece of OA from the series last night!

On 2/18/2020 at 5:48 PM, F For Fake said:

Finished volume one, which contains Justice League 21-22, 29-30, 37-38 and 46-47.

On 2/18/2020 at 5:48 PM, F For Fake said:

Look, these are silver age DC's. They're pretty corny. BUT, they're also charming and colorful, and Gardner Fox always had imaginative ideas. The pinnacle of superhero writing? Dear me, no. But a colorful trip down nostalgia lane nonetheless. 

I always find it interesting to go back to the original source material, even though it's often extremely simplistic and two-dimensional.  From the issues you mentioned, I have a special fondness for the Crime Syndicate's. I read those stories first in the JLA 100 pagers as a kid, but I like the evolution of the team from those early days through to the greater complexity of Justice League New 52 and Forever Evil's more detailed characterisation.

As you'll know, they don't do that well in Crisis.

Edited by Ken Aldred

6 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I always find it interesting to go back to the original source material, even though it's often extremely simplistic and two-dimensional.  From the issues you mentioned, I have a special fondness for the Crime Syndicate's. I read those stories first in the JLA 100 pagers as a kid, but I like the evolution of the team from those early days through to the greater complexity of Justice League New 52 and Forever Evil's more detailed characterisation.

As you'll know, they don't do that well in Crisis.

Yes, the Crime Syndicate story is a hoot! And what the stories lack in sophistication, they make up forwith imagination. The stories are zippy and genuinely enjoyable. Plus I enjoy the clean art by Sekowsky (he drew some pretty gals!) and now I'm reading volume 2 and getting into the Dillin stuff, which is lovely. I feel Dillin is underrated. SA stuff, for all of its relative importance, can be a chore to read. So far I'm really enjoying revisiting these tales.

129-142

Got a bunch of stuff read last week.  
I was lukewarm on the Hasbroverse GI joe series at first, but it grew on me and by issue six, I wanted to see what how the story develops.  

The constructicon series is fun and I like how they are developing them and their personalities.

Beta Ray Bill is a cool character and I enjoyed this one.

I had to shell out a few bucks for the Kylo Ren first issue but I’m glad I did   This series has taken a character that I didn’t give a about in the movies and made him somewhat interesting.

the Millennium and Legion books were both good.  I liked the short addition of Damien Wayne in the third issue.  I’ll be on board as long as Bendis continues to write.

DCD10416-A84F-48EF-B59D-BAF82A65FC52.jpeg

143-173

Been at the hospital with my daughter as she recovers from a hour of pneumonia this week so have had some time to catch up on the reading.  

Weapon H 1-5
I was really ready to hate this series, I mean, Hulkverine?   Cmon.  It sounded over the top ridiculous.  As I finished the first issue though, I found myself being drawn in.  While some of it is out there a bit, the story was good enough that it grew more enjoyable as the series progressed.  My main complaints were that some situations were too convenient and pacing moved too fast in some places.  Otherwise, it was good enough that I want to grab the next few issues.  

Secret Warriors 1-6

The opposite for secret warriors occurred compared to Weapon H.   I thought I would love this book.  Instead I get a series that grows whiny and angsty as it progressed.  My biggest irritation was how the X-Men were portrayed.  I haven’t really been in the x-world for a while, but good lord we’re they pretty bland in this series.  Almost like caricatures  of what they used to be.  I won’t be finishing this series unless I’m given the next few issues.

Once and Future 1-6

I’m not really going out on a limb here when I say this is probably my new favorite series.  Very well written, great characters, and a genre that is one of my favorites.   I don’t want to spoil too much since it is a newer series, but I’ve been looking for a series to replace fables and this may be the one.

Iron Man 1-14

Ive been out of the loop on this era of Marvel  for a while.   Slowly reading up on what happened and the various events.  Not too much to say about this other than I liked it and it was Bendis, so I know what I was getting.   Solid B+.

7D1C0916-70AB-4781-82A5-0FDFBDFB2F2F.jpeg

0690AEEE-B148-42A3-AC69-6203708764BD.jpeg

C9B4DEF7-081A-489D-9D90-D7FF6DC21089.jpeg