• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2020
1 1

670 posts in this topic

200-202

Moon Girl 29-31

I’ve has these sitting for a bit and have wanted to read them to see who this character is a bit more.  I can honestly admit, that this series isn’t for me .  That’s okay though.  I think my nieces and nephews will like it and they are the target audience so it’s a win all around.   Of the three issues, I liked the anti smoking one the best.   It was reminiscent of the old “don’t do” issues of the past, but slightly better written.   Not a huge update to the list, but wanted to list it before I gave them away and forgot.  

8D1A4FAD-6450-4666-B508-B28F5E9123CC.jpeg

52 to 70 - Werewolf by Night Complete Collection Vol 1 (ComiXology digital)

Marvel Spotlight (1971) 2, 3, 4

Werewolf by Night (1972) 1 to 15

Tomb of Dracula (1972) 18

Pretty much an okay read throughout, nothing exceptional.  The later stories by the coincidentally-named Marv Wolfman are better, the earlier ones by Gerry Conway seem a bit overwritten compared to the style he used on Amazing Spider-Man.  Probably because Werewolf’s a fairly limited character the familiar tropes appear, such as being captured and turned into a circus sideshow attraction, and being hunted as a ‘more dangerous game’ than man.  A fairly similar driving force to The Hulk, often mentioned, that of wanting to be left alone, but in his case to be left in peace to hunt in ‘the forest’.

Artwise, Mike Ploog has a very scratchy style earlier on, heavily Eisner-influenced, and something that for me is better suited to Eisner’s typical urban noir subject matter than horror.  The later art is much tighter, on occasion with a Jack Davis influence, and works well for the horror material.  Gil Kane does some nice art on a couple of issues, but I’m not as keen about Tom Sutton’s.

Edited by Ken Aldred

203-220

Astonishing X-Men:  I’ve become pretty disillusioned with many of the x titles lately, but wanted to clear this one out of my too read bin.  I didn’t go into it with great expectations.  Imagine my surprise when I find that the villain is the Shadow King, the main villain of the Muir Island Saga; the story that got me really into comic books.  The writing was better than some of the other x stuff I trudge through, and the characters seemed to be more like how I remember them.    1-12 made up a full story arc and I felt the pacing was pretty spot on for the most part.   Was no disappointed at all.

TMNT Batman 3:
I am all in on TMNT crossovers   And with the Batman?  Forget about it.  I’ve been enjoying these crossovers because they are all self contained.  Each of the three were their own story   This one was great in that it had Batman growing up with the turtles in an alternative reality    Splinter serving as Bruce’s Alfred    It also went back and crossed into the original series of TMNT.   It was a pretty fun read and I’ll revisit it again at some point.

514BE3ED-2451-43D0-B596-431CE7AC0D18.thumb.jpeg.d6441afa72eac92858c706920082116b.jpeg

On 3/11/2020 at 10:04 PM, DavidTheDavid said:

56-57

IMG_20200311_170235.jpg

Nice to see other boardies reading material from different Ages, and great variety.

Edited by Ken Aldred

105-121

Daredevil Frank Miller vol 1

Includes issues

Spectacular Spiderman 27-28

Daredevil 158-161 and 163-172

Ive been pushing off reading this for a long time. All I can say is its great!!!! The stories are for the most part contained in each issue, they have great action Sequences And fun stories! Im loving it!!

image.jpg

7 hours ago, Raze said:

105-121

Includes issues

Ive been pushing off reading this for a long time. All I can say is its great!!!! The stories are for the most part contained in each issue, they have great action Sequences And fun stories! Im loving it!!

image.jpg

A great collection, with superb remastered artwork quality.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 3:59 PM, s-man said:

Personal running list:

95/1000

Contest of Champions tpb

Chew tpb 11

Gideon Falls tpb 1

Huck 1-6

Big Man Plans 1-4

All Star Superman tpb 1

Zombies vs Robots vs Amazons complete

Infinity Gauntlet tpb

Through Chew tpb 8...still a fun read and actually touching at times.

Its been slow going but almost finally finished with the Chew tpbs and then on to another run, but which...hm

221-235

Was quarantined tonight so had some time to do some reading.

Return of Wolverine 4&5. Wolverine and the Infinity Watch 1:  These were okay.  Nothing to get super excited about.  Not really the story I was hoping for to bring the clawed one back.  It was fine though.   I bought the infinity watch issue solely based on the cover.  It was okay, but again, I’ve been out of the loop on most of Marvels happenings since death of Wolverine and AvX so I was pretty lost on some of the events they were referring to.  It was mere chance that I read these together, not knowing that the Infinity Watch story was directly after return.

Battlepug 2:  this book is stupid.   I really enjoyed it though because of its silliness.   Sometimes you gotta get away from doom and gloom.  I need to hunt down the next issue.  Hopefully in a dollar bin.  

Rocket Racoon 1-11:   I loved this.  It was irreverent, over the top and everything I’d want in a book about Rocket.  The dialogue was awesome and I read everything in Bradley Coopers voice.   The stories were fun and seeing rocket as the scoundrel was great.  I can’t wait to loan it to my son to read.

Say what you want about social distancing, but it will probably get me to my reading goal far ahead of schedule.  

B2F0C580-D9C0-485A-852E-49B8A3E4F42C.jpeg

Personal running list:

103/1000

Contest of Champions tpb

Chew tpb 12

Gideon Falls tpb 1

Huck 1-6

Big Man Plans 1-4

All Star Superman tpb 1

Zombies vs Robots vs Amazons complete

Infinity Gauntlet tpb

Old Man Logan 1 - 8

Finished the rest of the Chew tpbs.  A well done book from beginning to end.  If you are looking for something unusual and a little out there at times, this is a great choice!

Started Old Man Logan run.  Its a fairly quick read right now, especially compared to Chew which has more dialogue. Sorrentino's artwork is something to get used to as it feels muddled at times, but the story is intriguing.

Edited by s-man

Got a bit busy (considering 5+ years behind in reading still behind).

Poe Dameron TPB Vol. 2. 6 issue trade 

Darth Vader TPB Vol. 2 6 issue trade

Star Wars Lando Double or Nothing TPB (5 Issue trade)

Total: 18 Issues down and 982 to go.

Get all the new Star Wars Trade as they come out, just never seem have the time to read. All are brilliant series both in art as well as storyline. 

Edited by cgcsketcherz

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 10:21 AM, AlexH said:

I thought I would resurrect an old thread since I am so far behind in my own reading.

For those that haven’t seen this before. This is a thread that challenges you to read 1000 comic books in 2020, and share your thoughts on the books you have read. 

Please note, this is not a competition. And anyone can participate. Personally I have so many books in my collection that I haven’t read, that I need some incentive to work through them. But you don’t need a reason if you want to contribute. Let’s just talk about comics. 

So, what counts as a comic book? I would say any standard 22 page comic would count as 1 book. A TPB would be whatever the number if issues are in that book. Anime would be a bit harder to figure out, but use your best judgement. Remember, it’s not a competition. Just have fun with it. 

Good luck everyone. 

This is a great and awesome idea. Now that with this COVID-19 that has our planet in a mass hysteria, I can actually catch up on my reading.

Now up to 37 read.

Scooby Doo Where Are You #103 

-Really liked how the second story had a twist in the plot.

Batman #12 First appearance of Harley Quinn in comics.... the $1 reprint (Original way too expensive, and I enjoy originally Scooby art too much to attempt to purchase a first print!) Finally got to read it though thank you DC/Marvel for starting $1 reprints.

Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II TPB (6 issues collected)

- Just as brilliant as the first series, and I love the art of Freddie E. Williams he makes a wicked Master Splinter.

Star Wars Galaxy's Edge TPB (5 issues collected)

- One of the many Star Wars miniseries bound in TPB form. Brilliant art and the storyline is pretty good too. 

963 to go......

On 3/15/2020 at 12:17 AM, Raze said:

105-121

Includes issues

image.jpg

How does it compare to the Mark Waid run a few years ago?