• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2020
1 1

670 posts in this topic

Daredevil 30

This is my earliest Daredevil. The story was OK. I also like covers with Thor swinging his hammer and I think this is the only one I own lol 

Also whos “mike murock” Ive seen the name but I dont know how it fits in with DD...is it Matts alter ego???

image.jpg

Master of Kung-Fu 100

Ive bever read one of these and it was at a LCS for super cheap and thought it would be a action packed story...nope REAL wordy a lot of text, walls os of it, kinda like Brain Micheal Bendis. It was OK I guess I enjoyed it to some extent.

The last part of the story was about Jack the Ripper but not THE Jack the Ripper...

Has anyone else read any Master of Kung-Fu books? Are they wordy or action packed? Did I get a so-so issue?

image.jpg

13 minutes ago, Raze said:

Master of Kung-Fu 100

Ive bever read one of these and it was at a LCS for super cheap and thought it would be a action packed story...nope REAL wordy a lot of text, walls os of it, kinda like Brain Micheal Bendis. It was OK I guess I enjoyed it to some extent.

The last part of the story was about Jack the Ripper but not THE Jack the Ripper...

Has anyone else read any Master of Kung-Fu books? Are they wordy or action packed? Did I get a so-so issue?

image.jpg

Moench is known to be pretty wordy; i blew them out instead of re-reading my run but IIRC they weren't a quick read but still good/great

On 4/5/2020 at 5:08 AM, Raze said:

Also whos “mike murock” Ive seen the name but I dont know how it fits in with DD...is it Matts alter ego???

Yup. It was his pretend twin brother at the time.  Although that’s been recently retconned.

Edited by Ken Aldred

71 to 92

Legends of the Dark Knight : Marshall Rogers

containing...

Detective Comics 468, 471 to 476, 478, 479

Secret Origins 6

Legends of the Dark Knight 132 to 136

Batman Dark Detective 1 to 6

Very influential work, an artist excelling at dark cityscapes and creating a classic interpretation of both Batman and Joker, and the modern redesign of Deadshot. For the Bronze Age, excelling at groundbreaking, inventive panel designs and great storytelling skill, but, I’ve always found his figurework, faces and expressions a bit patchy in quality, more noticeable in the later work from the 80s onwards, which tends to look cartoony and simplistic.

Steve Englehart writes some great stories in the Bronze Age arc, the problem being that the narrative really starts a couple of issues earlier, but, being drawn by Walt Simonson and not Rogers, those aren’t included. Also, the remastering and colouring are terrible compared to the Shadow of the Batman reprints done in the 80s; superior colours, much sharper line work. 

Englehart’s stories are more a mash-up of Batman from different Ages, reintroducing very old characters such as Hugo Strange and Deadshot, the dark, gritty feel of 70’s O’Neil and Adams at times, and, on occasion, villain dialogue and situations straight from the Silver Age / TV series period.

Secret Origins is an okay retelling of the origin of the Golden Age / Earth 2 Batman based on the very earliest Detective Comics stories, nothing new or exciting.

Legends of the Dark Knight : Siege goes into the background of the Wayne family, it’s okay.

Batman : Dark Detective is the modern sequel to the Bronze Age storyline, with the return of his old girlfriend, Silver St Cloud.  Again, very strong visual storytelling, inventive panel layouts, but patchy, simplistic, cartoony figurework. Starts out strong but degenerates into another abducted damsel-in-distress storyline, surviving a booby-trapped house, with lots of 70s-style, melodramatic dialogue along the way.

Edited by Ken Aldred

162-169

Batman White Knight 1-8

This is my second favorite Batman story behind Scott Snyders Black Mirror. I love the art and story. Joker takes pills to stay sane and helps Gotham. But he does it in reverse of Batman. Meaning he brakes the law but in a less destructive way to show Gotham that Batman is bad.
Ill be reading the Follow up Series next!!!

image.jpg

2 minutes ago, Raze said:

162-169

Batman White Knight 1-8

This is my second favorite Batman story behind Scott Snyders Black Mirror. I love the art and story. Joker takes pills to stay sane and helps Gotham. But he does it in reverse of Batman. Meaning he brakes the law but in a less destructive way to show Gotham that Batman is bad.

image.jpg

too lazy to look it up, who wrote that?

7 hours ago, Raze said:

162-169

Batman White Knight 1-8

image.jpg

It’s great stuff.  Good story, and Murphy’s one of my favourite modern artists.

#'s 88-92

Star Wars Age of Heroes TPB collects Star Wars Age of Heroes: Han Solo, Lando Calrissian, Luke Skywalker, and Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Special.

Love the storylines. Some, gave background to the heroes as missing gaps between regular Star Wars tales. The only thing that drove me nuts was that Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Special had two different art styles in the same story. Albeit they were two distinct stories in one issue, but I prefer the flow of style to be from start to finish. 

Another of the um lost count number of Star Wars trades in a cardboard box that needs to be read.

170-178

Batman Curse if the White Knight 1-8

Batman White Knight Presents Von Freeze One-Shot

OK I reallly love the Sean Murphy Batman lore! DC has given him free reign to do whatever he wants and he is nailing it!!! I cant wait for more!

Curse of the White Knight is about the Wanye family and where they come from wrapped in a mystery.

Taken from mycomicshop.com

The Joker recruits Azrael to help him expose a shocking secret from the Wayne family's legacy-and to run Gotham City into the ground! As Batman rushes to protect the city and his loved ones from danger, the mystery of his ancestry unravels, dealing a devastating blow to the Dark Knight. Exciting new villains and unexpected allies will clash in this unforgettable chapter of the White Knight saga-and the truth about the blood they shed will shake Gotham to its core!

2DA292E6-4724-4069-93A7-2A38BE2ABD0F.jpeg

78F43753-A4F4-4599-8950-7F1569A4E338.jpeg

9 hours ago, Raze said:

Mad 7 This is a cross post from the EC addict thread. I have to admit Im not a big fan of  the early Mad books. I only have 3-4. I feel like Im missing the punchline, but great art!!

There's the problem of very old, dated cultural references, and also I felt they were visibly trying too hard and a lot of the humour feels forced.  My least favourite of the EC New Trend genres.  Nice art by Will Elder and Wally Wood, though.

18 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

There's the problem of very old, dated cultural references, and also I felt they were visibly trying too hard and a lot of the humour feels forced.  My least favourite of the EC New Trend genres.  Nice art by Will Elder and Wally Wood, though.

I find more humor in the background of the panels than in the stories. And I think you expressed it correctly that the humor “feels forced”. I think its the only Kurtzman stories Im not a fan off which is sad because his wasr stories are awesome.

# 93

Normally, I would wait till I have a few more read to post, but the book was a tad bit confusing. Having never read or watched Doctor Who before, I found a sketch cover on clearance months ago in my local comic shop. Doctor Who Event 2015 Part 1 of 5.

Um, there are three doctors? Might check out the series someday. One day, this cover will have a Scooby version of the doctor sketched on it by Matthew Parton.